Sign in to follow this  
retired

Family Planning

retired

I will say one thing for this woman . She has lots of GUTS ! ;)

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Wake up call for Filipinos

By Lisi Owen

I arrived in Manila to intern with EnGendeRights, a women

Alan S

A year or so ago British TV showed a programme about the numbers of illegal abortions in the Philippines, a vast number of which occur, and cause many deaths to the women concerned.

The number of children who die due to malnutrition or starvation is, or should be, a national scandal,

To me, it is a peculiar regime that makes either the more likely, instead of preventing pregnacy in the first place.

tom_shor

The Catholic Church has run out of new lands to conquer and convert so the only way to get more Caholics is to breed them.

Mik

Oops, that comment slipped past the moderators.

Paul

Alan,

Where did you find this article?

retired
Alan,

Where did you find this article?

My apologies , guess i cut the source off. Yesterdays on-line edition of the Manila Times .

mikejwoodnz

right - I think she means the Philippine Government should listen to Google who she thinks is wiser than the Pope - what is the Muslim viewpoint on Contraception ?

HTM
right - I think she means the Philippine Government should listen to Google who she thinks is wiser than the Pope - what is the Muslim viewpoint on Contraception ?

It

Alan S

I realise that it is hard to discuss this topic without bringing in politics or religion, but if this thread moves in to those areas, it will be closed.

Alan S
right - I think she means the Philippine Government should listen to Google who she thinks is wiser than the Pope -

Nowhere in the original article does it say that "...should listen to Google... etc"

It DOES say that she used it to discover what the policies are, an entirely different matter.

Without some change, the population of the Philippines will be around 150 million within 25-or-so years.

I am sure that we can all appreciate that this would add to serious overcrowding, and more poverty, if not more serious consequences.

Chief Illiniwek
I realise that it is hard to discuss this topic without bringing in politics or religion, but if this thread moves in to those areas, it will be closed.

Right.

Only posts critical of the Catholic Church will be allowed.

tom_shor

Right.

Every time an effort is made here to implement real and effective family planning it is the Church which is in the forefront to shut it down. How much more difficult are the lives of the poor without access to efective birth control. They have actually influenced several mayors to shut down even non government sponsored clinics that distribute these to the poor in their cities. They then have to choose between birth control or food. The end result is another mouth to feed.

The Catholic Church does sponsor charities which give aid to the poor but there wouldn't be so many poor if they didn't deny them access to birth control.

mikejwoodnz

- exactly - the Topic is Family Planning - freedom of choice - yes there is freedom of choice in the Philippines even oral Contraceptives are freely available - one of these Diane is also marketed primarily as an acne aid :-) it's contraceptive ability is a bonus - the question of Sexual Education is a separate topic. People are free to chose contraception or not and plan their families accordingly.

Alan S

Right.

No, I didnt say that, and you know it.

There are many religions in the world. Indeed, there are many forms of Christianity.

Some, and the Catholic Church is not the only one, forbid birth control, others do not.

Also, many people do not believe in ANY religion.

In the Philippines, the law is that religion and the State should be separate.

Hence, religion should play no part in official family planning policies. However, we all know that is not the case.

Irrespective of your, or anyone elses, religous views, an uncontrolled increase in the population doesnt bode well for the future.

parksb2

Right.

No, I didnt say that, and you know it.

There are many religions in the world. Indeed, there are many forms of Christianity.

Some, and the Catholic Church is not the only one, forbid birth control, others do not.

Also, many people do not believe in ANY religion.

In the Philippines, the law is that religion and the State should be separate.

Hence, religion should play no part in official family planning policies. However, we all know that is not the case.

Irrespective of your, or anyone elses, religous views, an uncontrolled increase in the population doesnt bode well for the future.

Not to add fuel, but the Catholic Church doesn't help the situation here. The attitude of no birth control for a family that is starving, illiterate and already can't care for the children it has is abysmal. It wouldn't matter what the name of the institution is that endorses such a policy but as pointed out in the thread already,the church really drills this policy into reality here.

Just try and acquire birth control here and note the frowns and misinformation you'll receive...

I've had priests get nearly violent when birth control is mentioned... So much for the golden rule.

A smaller more educated family is one of the key trends in developing nations to great prosperity, and material wealth. The social attitude here is reminds me of what my grandparents would tell me turn of the century North America was like...

With respect to the OP, It took tremendous guts to take a stance on family planning issues.