Sign in to follow this  
Pman

Keeping your computer clean.

Pman

I'm spending all night fixing a friends computer. 

Over 200 viruses and 1200 Malware.

Here is my very polite rant and suggestions, maybe mods can pin to help others avoid this. If you are on windows I would suggest at a bare minimum you take the following precautions:

1. Run AVG Free Antivirus: http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage Free good antivirus, choose custom install and don't install anything but the antivirus

2. Run Malware Bytes: https://www.malwarebytes.org Free good malware protection, you need this in addition to antivirus!!!!!!!

3. Run Firefox: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new Internet explorer is notorious for security flaws. Google destroys privacy.

4. Run Ghostery: https://www.ghostery.com/en/download Free blocker that protects your privacy and stops malware. Speeds up browsing.

5. Use startpage: http://www.startpage.com Good search engine that keeps your privacy, loads fast, uses google results and is safe from malware.

6. Know what your downloading. Stick to safer sites like Cnet.com and read the user reviews, or magazines like PCmagazine etc suggestions.

7. Always choose Custom Install option, only install programs your downloading, not the add-on toolbars etc. NEVER use these.

8. Never click popups, Control Alt Delete and close them, don't click on the "OK" or other buttons.

9. Avoid downloading attachments you weren't explicitly expecting from a friend/trusted associate.

10. If you get email from company saying your password has been compromised, click here to reset... or something similar, NEVER click it. Goto the site directly (type in the URL like mail.yahoo.com) and then check to see if it really has been compromised and change it there.

If you do these steps you will avoid 90+ percent of all problems on your machine and it will run much faster!!!

Q: I like x brand antivirus or x brand malware program better. 

A: Go for it. The ones listed above are free and good. Use the one you like.

Q: I'm running ghostery and things are disappearing, what's going on. 

A: ghostery blocks tracking items. If you want to see the video, or comments, etc, just click on the item and it will pop up and work.

• Like 6

miles-high

I would add one more thing, if I may, use your ShopVac to clean the inerds, particularly the power pac area at least once a month... :D

• Like 1

throttleplate

I use IE and windows defender for the last 10 years and so far so good.Maybe I am lucky to date.

• Like 1

musicman666

I would add one more thing, if I may, use your ShopVac to clean the inerds, particularly the power pac area at least once a month... :D

Don't mess around ...use a leaf blower!

• Like 1

Hamm

I remember the days when I was constantly fighting this battle. Then I ponied up a few extra pesos and bought a Mac.

• Like 4

Monsoon

bought a Mac.

DItto.

Once you go Mac, do don't go back! 

• Like 2

Jester

So someone has all the protection but the computer is problematic,  then what??     Whiner

Pman

So someone has all the protection but the computer is problematic,  then what??     Whiner

1. Backup your files. 

2. Reformat your hard disk

3. Reinstall your operating system. 

Then follow steps above

Jester

One of my computers, protected with spybot, McAfee and Malware-bytes started running slower and slower.  I tried everything I know and it continued to deteriorate. It did not appear to be a virus or other malware.   

I'm lucky I have computers that have a D drive where all needed info is stored.   I am in the middle of restoring computer to factory new and wonder how many members realize how easy this is to do today?

Whiner

• Like 1

cvgtpc1

CCleaner is a free app on cnet that get rids of the same things as Windows Disk Cleanup but better.  I run it daily to clean things out.

• Like 1

Jawny

Helpful hints here.

I use Mac and iOS products. My macs have an antivirus program running in the background. Something I do regularly is backup files. Mac's have a system where this is done in the background. Not just the file you are working on but the system. Backs up hourly and keeps doing that until the backup disc is full and then older backups are deleted as more are made. This is done wirelessly.

As well, I use Carbon Copy Cloner a super backup setup for snapshot back ups. It can be set up to do backups in the bepackgrojnd, but that means tethering a drive to my macs.

On top of that, I backup my media files every few weeks or so on external drives.

Ironically, the only time I had a virus in a Microsoft product is when I had a hard drive fail on my Dell PC and had a shop here replace the hard drive. The technicians decided to use my PC as a host to download p*orno and in the process, got a virus. The idiots didn't even clean out the files as some of the photos were still in files.

• Like 1

Kreole

Kudos to Pman! Thanks for the very clear instructions and headsup on how to clean and secure computers from malware, google spying (I hate those fvckers) and viruses.

I have been a Mac user for over 20 years, and just recently had to use a pc because my laptop was in repair.  OMG!  bad beyond description.  About everything that comes so easy with Macs either doesn't exist on pc or is a pain to navigate.  It is true that Macs have not been subject to the great majority of malware and virus attacks, but they still are vulnerable. 

Thankfully, i am extremely vigilant about not opening anything I am not sure comes from a reliable source.  I won't even open some emails that come from people that I know because the subject title is questionable, and especially when I do open them and see the link or some bullshit  intro, I immediately dump it and then write to the source (friend) and tell him/her that their email has been hacked.