Sign in to follow this  
familyguy

Continuing SSD benefits if move to PI from USA

ROVER

I would worry about medical, You will get your income. I am not sure they will pay your medical bills. This could be very important for you. and prescription cost

NO MEDICAL..from SSA or SSD if you move to the Philippines....as a matter of fact if you don't tell them to stop the withholding for the PART (whatever it is I forget) they will continue to withhold but you can't use it here (not even at the VA)...Yes you can travel to Guam and it is good there.....

Just remember if you cancel the pay part of the medical it will do 2 things #1 you will have a bigger check and #2 if you ever move back to the U.S. and want to restart it, it will be almost double the monthly payment as punishment.......

Before I came here in 2004 it used to be that you could use it at a couple of the Big hospitals here, but they were scamming the U.S. SSA with false claims and higher costs so that was stopped I believe in 2003.

ADDED: I have had nothing but Good help and assistance from the SSA in Manila, if I send an email, I have a response the next day...sometimes the same day if I send it Early morning.

So far I am very happy with my choice of doing things this way..

Edited by ROVER

Bill H

My advice would be to have all your government checks direct deposited into a US Bank, and from there you can transfer funds here as needed.  You should also have a drop box (US mailing address) as your registered address in the States.  Call me chicken, but politicians change things to make life for them much better even if it makes ours suck.  So maintain US bank account and address just in case.

I would also avoid the US Embassy, they are not your friend.  My view anyway.

tonny

DARRIN K. MORGAN, Regional Federal Benefits Officer

Social Security Administration
United States Embassy
1201 Roxas Blvd., Ermita
0930 Manila, Philippines

Contact Information:
Phone: (632) 301-2000 ext. 9
Fax: (632) 708-9723 and (632) 708-9714
E-mail: [email protected]

• Like 2

Paul

When I first got SSD they also gave my wife and son a small monthly benefit.

If memory serves, it should be 50% of what you are receiving? 

familyguy

yes, my wife and son get a combined total of 50 percent of my benifit.

Paul

yes, my wife and son get a combined total of 50 percent of my benifit.

That will continue as long as your child is living with you, when you and your wife move to the Philippines.

• Like 1

familyguy

I choose to open an account here in the Philippines at a local bank and my SSD comes in Pesos...

what ever the rate is I get about .50 centavos less per dollar.....TO ME IT IS MUCH EASIER

AND NO HEAD ACHE

Rover, my wife showed me a list from SS and Philippines is not on the list for Direct deposit from SSA. If i moved there I  would also like to get in pesos. can you please tel me how you get your payments in pesos? is it direct deposit ? thank you. and what is a good bank in cebu for this? thanks again.

Edited by Paul
separated text from quotes

Paul

Rover, my wife showed me a list from SS and Philippines is not on the list for Direct deposit from SSA. If i moved there I  would also like to get in pesos. can you please tel me how you get your payments in pesos? is it direct deposit ? thank you. and what is a good bank in cebu for this? thanks again.

In my opinion, I would not do that. I would have your funds deposited into a checking account in the US. I would then take a bunch of checks with me to the Philippines. I would open a USD Savings account, as well as a Peso account, in the same bank.

Once every couple or three months, I would write a check and deposit it into my USD Savings Account in the Philippines. It will take, at most, 14 business days, or so, to clear. Then, as needed, withdraw USD from your account, buy pesos with the money and deposit them into your Peso account.

I know it seems like more work. But, depending on the bank, they may be willing to do the leg work for you.

My reasoning for this is, while banking may not be completely stable in the US, it certainly isn't in the Philippines. 

But, to reply directly to your statement, yes, you can have funds from SS, as well as from many other sources of income, deposited into bank accounts in the Philippines.

Edited by Paul

Bill H

In my opinion, I would not do that. I would have your funds deposited into a checking account in the US. I would then take a bunch of checks with me to the Philippines. I would open a USD Savings account, as well as a Peso account, in the same bank.

Once every couple or three months, I would write a check and deposit it into my USD Savings Account in the Philippines. It will take, at most, 14 business days, or so, to clear. Then, as needed, withdraw USD from your account, buy pesos with the money and deposit them into your Peso account.

I know it seems like more work. But, depending on the bank, they may be willing to do the leg work for you.

My reasoning for this is, while banking may not be completely stable in the US, it certainly isn't in the Philippines. 

But, to reply directly to your statement, yes, you can have funds from SS, as well as from many other sources of income, deposited into bank accounts in the Philippines.

I already posted much of what Paul just said, but I certainly agree with him.  Writing a check on your US account and depositing that check in your Philippine bank account is the BEST way to move money here.  However, it is my experience it takes more than three weeks for the money to show up in your account in the PH.  Yes the check clears quickly usually a week or so, but the bank plays games and holds your money for a couple of weeks after that, at least that is what BPI did with me.

What I don't understand is why you would want to bother with a US Dollar account.  I had a peso account and deposited my US check in dollars into that account.  The bank converted the deposit to pesos and added those to my account.  I'm just not jelling on why you would want to fool with a dollar account in a Philippine bank, so what am I missing Paul?

• Like 1

familyguy

Hi Paul, I already get my SSD direct deposit here, but are you saying that if I opened a USD account in Philippines (along with a peso account) I can have SS direct deposit into that USD account in Philippines? if so, would the bank take care of that for me or the Embassy in Manila ?  thank you Paul...thank everyone for all your help :) 

familyguy

I already posted much of what Paul just said, but I certainly agree with him.  Writing a check on your US account and depositing that check in your Philippine bank account is the BEST way to move money here.  However, it is my experience it takes more than three weeks for the money to show up in your account in the PH.  Yes the check clears quickly usually a week or so, but the bank plays games and holds your money for a couple of weeks after that, at least that is what BPI did with me.

What I don't understand is why you would want to bother with a US Dollar account.  I had a peso account and deposited my US check in dollars into that account.  The bank converted the deposit to pesos and added those to my account.  I'm just not jelling on why you would want to fool with a dollar account in a Philippine bank, so what am I missing Paul?

Hi Bill, I am just afraid that if i do not use my bank atm card, or have any transactions with my bank of america account , or if they find out somehow i moved out of country that they will close my account or put a hold on it or something. thats my main concern. thanks..

Bill H

I already get my SSD direct deposit here,

Seriously, I think that is a bad idea and I would change it back to going into a US Bank and then writing a check on that account as described earlier.  Things change, Philippine banks can get loony and if they go under your money could be tied up for YEARS.  So I really think you are much better off getting those checks sent to a US Bank.

Paul

Hi Bill, I am just afraid that if i do not use my bank atm card, or have any transactions with my bank of america account , or if they find out somehow i moved out of country that they will close my account or put a hold on it or something. thats my main concern. thanks..

I have accounts in the US, Australia, and in the Philippines. A bank is not going to close your account, simply because you have moved to another country.

I would prefer to have USD in USD accounts, regardless where I may live. I can determine where I buy and sell those dollars, rather than letting the banks decide it for me, when converting my USD deposit to Philippine Pesos. So, USD based deposits always go into USD based accounts, for me.

Seriously, I think that is a bad idea and I would change it back to going into a US Bank and then writing a check on that account as described earlier.  Things change, Philippine banks can get loony and if they go under your money could be tied up for YEARS.  So I really think you are much better off getting those checks sent to a US Bank.

He was saying that he already has Direct Deposit into his account in the US. That is his current status.

• Like 1

Bill H

I am just afraid that if i do not use my bank atm card, or have any transactions with my bank of america account , or if they find out somehow i moved out of country that they will close my account or put a hold on it or something.

If you feel you need to use your ATM card, you can do that at any ATM machine in the Philippines, the only down side is it will cost you 250p.

If you are writing a check on your BoA account every month or two to deposit into your PH account, you have activity, so it should not be a problem.

You need to read the rules for your account to be sure you are not required to be a USA resident to maintain the account.  That said, I'd be amazed if that were the case.

Best of luck to you.

• Like 1

familyguy

I know you are right about that, I guess if something should ever happen to my Bank of America account I could always change the direct depost to a Philippine bank account, if I cant straighten out things with Bank of America from overseas.   thank you for letting me come to this realization.

Bill H

Oh ok, when he said he was getting it direct deposited here I thought he meant in the PH, I did not realize he was still in the USA  my bad.

You are richer than me, so when I'm converting a couple of thousand dollars to pesos the small difference between the bank and the posted rate does not amount to enough money to be of any concern to me.  I can see how you rich folks are more concerned with such things.  Wish I were you.

In any case, I think we're all in agreement that any newbee should keep his money in the States and just move what he needs here as its needed.  I also think writing a depositing a personal check into your Phils account whether it be a USD account or a peso account is the best way to move money here.

Just curious, but does it work the same way in Cambodia?

Paul

Just curious, but does it work the same way in Cambodia?

ATMs dispense USD in Cambodia. 

Khmer banks float the funds too long, and charge too much, to make it cost effective to write and deposit checks into an account there. So, no, it is not nearly as easy, or cheap, as it is in the Philippines.

familyguy, just go over any and all of your options. Then, decide what is best for you.

ROVER

Your wife is right, there is no direct deposit to the Philippines...HOWEVER...they way SSA handles that is that some of the banks here are associated with banks in America....My direct deposit goes to Wells Fargo...in The States, Wells Fargo electronically transfers it to the Bank in The Philippines that is Associated with them in MY CASE IT IS ...."UCPB".

If you contact The SSA Office in the U.S. Embassy in Manila and ask them for a LIST of qualified banks for SSA they will be happy to email it to you.

Each bank has its own rules per say as to you must keep a required amount in the account, if there is a charge for the service and how much.....

Problem I ran into is that very few of the banks will allow a "Payee" for an adult on SSA....When I finally got to the point I could not Go to withdraw my money myself (ATM IS NOT ALLOWED)...I had to find another bank that would accept an SSA approved Payee for me...In my case (MY WIFE)....

For ME and my needs UCPB (United Coconut Planters of the Philippines Bank) was the best....

1. They accepted My "SSA Payee" which means my wife is the one that goes to the bank and withdraws the money.

2. There is no minimum amount to keep in the account

3. Charge is only 350php with per month (automatically taken out before I ever see the money)

4. You can withdraw from a different branch (many other banks require that you come personally to the branch where the account is and withdraw).

When you open the account the application asks if you want the direct deposit in Dollars or Pesos, that is how you choose Pesos.....

Now, The banks are supposed to have the apps. some do some don't so make sure you down load the app. from the internet just in case....some of the banks LIKE THE ONE I HAVE....want you to use the apps THEY have and won't accept the ones you have down loaded.....

If you have other questions of me just let me know. 

familyguy

If you contact The SSA Office in the U.S. Embassy in Manila and ask them for a LIST of qualified banks for SSA they will be happy to email it to you.

Each bank has its own rules per say as to you must keep a required amount in the account, if there is a charge for the service and how much.....

Problem I ran into is that very few of the banks will allow a "Payee" for an adult on SSA....When I finally got to the point I could not Go to withdraw my money myself (ATM IS NOT ALLOWED)...I had to find another bank that would accept an SSA approved Payee for me...In my case (MY WIFE)....

For ME and my needs UCPB (United Coconut Planters of the Philippines Bank) was the best....

When you open the account the application asks if you want the direct deposit in Dollars or Pesos, that is how you choose Pesos.....

Thanks, at least now I know I have some options to see which will work best for me. thank you, I appreciate your help!

Edited by Paul
Please separate your post from the quoted text!