Sign in to follow this  
familyguy

Continuing SSD benefits if move to PI from USA

familyguy

Thank everyone for all the information. I'm glad to be part of this forum. I have a neurological condition and have had surgery involving electrodes being implanted in my head, plus a ton of different meds, injections and infusions, various treatments but nothing has worked so far. I will still seek medical in Philippines, I'm not giving up on trying to get better.

todave007 my wife's family is from Metro Cebu City. I will buy medical coverage there for my wife and son, as for me I will pay out of pocket for doctors and meds if I can't find insurance that will accept me with my existing condition.

Lastly, I read about some of you needing to send SS forms 7161 7162. I don't know if I need to do that before or after I move? Thanks again all !

Jawny

Interesting opinion as I've heard others say the embassy SSD office is the best, quick to answer the phone and emails.

Application was misplaced.

Staff offered to resubmit without a personal appearance but sent the wrong forms to use.

Wrong forms submitted, many weeks more delay as they attempted to figure out the correct forms.

Original application found

Problem solved

New problem created when allotment form ( preprinted by bank with routing to embassy staff) was sent to a bank which has ceased operations several years before. Out of business.

New forms sent, prepared and allotment started......whoops, incorrect information sent and process had to be repeated.

All of this done by courteous, helpful, friendly (albeit incompetent) staff

• Like 1

to_dave007

Ouch.. Not sure if Philippines is the best place for guy who needs "a ton of different meds, injections and infusions, various treatments". People in this forum aren't kidding when they joke about hearing the words "sorry sir.. no stock". You can't be sure the meds you need will be readily available.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

cvgtpc1

Application was misplaced.

Staff offered to resubmit without a personal appearance but sent the wrong forms to use.

Wrong forms submitted, many weeks more delay as they attempted to figure out the correct forms.

Original application found

Problem solved

New problem created when allotment form ( preprinted by bank with routing to embassy staff) was sent to a bank which has ceased operations several years before. Out of business.

New forms sent, prepared and allotment started......whoops, incorrect information sent and process had to be repeated.

All of this done by courteous, helpful, friendly (albeit incompetent) staff

Damn, was hoping one thing worked right in the PI.

HeyMike

I know a man in San Fernando who is on SSD and he gets another check from SSD for having a caregiver, who is his wife. I do not know the particulars, but you may want to look into it and see if you can get pay for a caregiver.

Jawny

Damn, was hoping one thing worked right in the PI.

Be aware, the outcome ends up "done right". My point about using caution is simply that. Use caution when depending upon others to take care of paperwork that you sign.

As a matter of fact, the tIme of original application was at an outreach at the Cebu consulate. In itself, that is a courtesy extended to individuals. As well, I've been told the SSA staff will even make "house calls" of sorts to conduct business with individuals who are unable to make personal visits (others can confirm this).

However, having a friendly and helpful manner does not compensate for being incompetent.

In fairness, from what I understand, the staffing for SSA is only a very few U.S. government employees. The majority of the staff are locals who get OJT as the primary means of instruction.

My cautions were intended for the op who is making an important leap of faith. I wish him well and hope he heeds the useful advice of others who have been there, done that. Especially the issues surrounding medical care.

Edited by Jawny
  • Like 1

familyguy

I know a man in San Fernando who is on SSD and he gets another check from SSD for having a caregiver, who is his wife. I do not know the particulars, but you may want to look into it and see if you can get pay for a caregiver.

Hey Mike, we tried already to get a caregiver but they wouldn't pay for it. But still fighting for it. When I first got SSD they also gave my wife and son a small monthly benefit. Thanks.

ozboy

Not sure about wanting to live here with any sort of serious medical condition. Most people tend to return home if faced with those issues...

If you have your health in pretty good shape and a regular income, then living here is pretty good, once you have adjusted to the local lifestyle.

• Like 1

ROVER

Yes, you can. The only Social Security that an American citizen cannot receive outside the US, is Supplemental Security Income, or SSI.

Paul is totally correct...I have lived here without leaving and am permanent Resident (13a) for 11 years....I was drawing SSD when I came here, I contacted SSA in Manila Gave them my address here in PI...NO PROBLEM...

I might add though a lot of guys keep their money going to a bank in the U.S. and either draw with ATM or transfer...

I choose to open an account here in the Philippines at a local bank and my SSD comes in Pesos...

what ever the rate is I get about .50 centavos less per dollar.....TO ME IT IS MUCH EASIER

AND NO HEAD ACHE...trying to find transportation to run all over looking for a higher rate......

• Like 1

aussiekangaroo

All the best with it

Edited by aussiekangaroo

ROVER

I would worry about medical, You will get your income. I am not sure they will pay your medical bills. This could be very important for you. and prescription cost

NO MEDICAL..from SSA or SSD if you move to the Philippines....as a matter of fact if you don't tell them to stop the withholding for the PART (whatever it is I forget) they will continue to withhold but you can't use it here (not even at the VA)...Yes you can travel to Guam and it is good there.....

Just remember if you cancel the pay part of the medical it will do 2 things #1 you will have a bigger check and #2 if you ever move back to the U.S. and want to restart it, it will be almost double the monthly payment as punishment.......

Before I came here in 2004 it used to be that you could use it at a couple of the Big hospitals here, but they were scamming the U.S. SSA with false claims and higher costs so that was stopped I believe in 2003.

ADDED: I have had nothing but Good help and assistance from the SSA in Manila, if I send an email, I have a response the next day...sometimes the same day if I send it Early morning.

So far I am very happy with my choice of doing things this way..

Edited by ROVER

Bill H

My advice would be to have all your government checks direct deposited into a US Bank, and from there you can transfer funds here as needed.  You should also have a drop box (US mailing address) as your registered address in the States.  Call me chicken, but politicians change things to make life for them much better even if it makes ours suck.  So maintain US bank account and address just in case.

I would also avoid the US Embassy, they are not your friend.  My view anyway.

tonny

DARRIN K. MORGAN, Regional Federal Benefits Officer

Social Security Administration
United States Embassy
1201 Roxas Blvd., Ermita
0930 Manila, Philippines

Contact Information:
Phone: (632) 301-2000 ext. 9
Fax: (632) 708-9723 and (632) 708-9714
E-mail: [email protected]

• Like 2

Paul

When I first got SSD they also gave my wife and son a small monthly benefit.

If memory serves, it should be 50% of what you are receiving? 

familyguy

yes, my wife and son get a combined total of 50 percent of my benifit.