Sign in to follow this  
Kreole

Sorry sir, we do not give cash refunds; exchanges only

Paul

Actually, the manager agreed to extend the period because I am leaving for Siquijor and only come back to Cebu every 2 to 3 months.  Ordinarily, they only offer you one month.

Sorry. I was talking about in comparison with the way things typically are handled in business, in the Philippines - and elsewhere in SE Asia.

Kreole

Is that the correct figure PHP 1,100...... if it is not a typo it just seems such a menial outlay to be concerned , And no I am not comparing it to the fact that it is only 20 bucks , I realise we are in the Philippines It just seems to be such a small amount to be hassling around and spending energy on , Can you list the items you have decided to not want , just so we can get a scale of what your frustrations are over

No problem, mate.  Its not your money.  So FO!

contraman

FO ?

Whats that ?

• Like 1

KennyF

It's not unusual in Oz to see signs stating "we gladly exchange but do not refund for change of mind".

KonC

• Like 2

Alan S

Why should a store give a refund just because the customer cant make up their mind what they want to buy?

Its different if the goods are faulty, but (IMHO) it is up to the customer to buy what they really want.

• Like 4

oztony

No it is not my money you are correct , you published your grievance on a public forum and I simply asked what goods the refund / exchange were pertaining to ,

and rather than divulge this secret you have instructed me to FO , I would understand your frustration in this if the goods were defective and also if I was rude to you

but neither of those things seem to have a play here , so I will regard this response from you as  your own personal frustration at your own indecisive stupidity

By the way , what were the goods :killself:

• Like 7

jtmwatchbiz

Is that the correct figure PHP 1,100...... if it is not a typo it just seems such a menial outlay to be concerned ,

hell i give out more than that in tips on a typical nite out :) 

• Like 6

jtmwatchbiz

hey chris...i just remembered the last time we closed lonestar i think you may have left a few crumpled peso notes on the bar and one looked like a 1000. should i go there tonite and try to get a refund for you or just let it go? :)

• Like 4

SkyMan

Why should a store give a refund just because the customer cant make up their mind what they want to buy?

Its different if the goods are faulty, but (IMHO) it is up to the customer to buy what they really want.

It's quite a common practice among retailers in the US so I'm pretty confident the return policies have been studied and restudied ad nauseam to ensure this is their most profitable way to go.  They want the customer who isn't sure about what they want to buy to feel secure that if they really don't like it they can return it.  Then, once it's in your possession, anything that happens that makes it yours permanently is a win for the store.  Maybe you decide you like it or you lose it or damage it.  Maybe you decide it's not worth the hassle to try to return it, whatever.  Most places won't let you return anything without a receipt because they don't want you returning stuff you stole.  But often if you pay by CC they will look up the receipt for you and refund directly back to the CC.  I think it's a law (or at least a requirement of the CC companies) to refund the charges back to the card because otherwise you could take interest free cash advances from your CC by charging a big ticket item and then returning it for cash.

• Like 1

Dublin boy

hey chris...i just remembered the last time we closed lonestar i think you may have left a few crumpled peso notes on the bar and one looked like a 1000. should i go there tonite and try to get a refund for you or just let it go? :)

WTF it's only 1000 tell them to keep it and FO ha ha

• Like 2

broden

once you have their money you never give it back is like the first ferengi rule of acquisition 

batman2525

Jerry Seinfeld took a jacket back once and that was for spite.

USMC-Retired

All you ever wanted to know about returning an item. According to DTI the store did you a favor by allowing a return or refund. You buy it unless its defective you have no rights to return.

http://www.dticebu.net.ph/09_d_05.htm

• Like 2

lamoe

I've found that the "Fly Over" states seem to be the most customer friendly in stores while the South shines in restaurants.

four store  policies here

Sam's club - have receipt = cash / credit back / store credit  - no receipt =  only store credit - except produce - bad veggies = 2x the original amount with receipt or sticker verification 

Bought grandson sled before Black Friday - didn't open box - was waiting to see if it was at another store on sale - found it on sale $20 less  - took back to Sam's - no receipt - store credit - I did tell them why - had showed them ad they don't price match.

BB&B  (Bed Bath & Beyond)  The most lenient policy I've ever seen - prices usually comparable or less on higher end stuff _ have a relative in South Carolina - she says BB&B policy not the same there - probably just manager not as CS orientated.

Bought expensive  ultra sonic humidifier one winter - great product - didn't work next winter, calcium build up - went back was buying another one - different type - store manager asked how we were doing (finding what we want, etc.)  mentioned that the ultra sonic ones should have specific warnings about hard water usage. He said still have old one? Yes, but my it was my water not the device. He said bring it in I'll give you store credit for it.

Macy's (from New York - they bought out Marshall Field)- advertised Shun knife on sale - went in - none in stock -  OK, I'll pay now, have it shipped to store then call or send to house when you get it.  Ok, that will be $15 extra for shipping even to store. Wait, 1st day of sale, not in stock and you want me to pay for shipping from one store to another? Yes, or spend $3,000 / year to be elite member. NFW

Went to BB&B - not in stock there either - but they matched price AND sent to my house no charge.

Guess which two I shop at and which one I refuse to even go in except to get to the other stores in mall?

One more

Five and Below (everything 1 to 5 dollars - duh) where I got the RC Helicopter

Wanted to know if they had any returned or broken in shipping ones for replacement of the part I lost.  Didn't ask for freebie, willing to pay if they had one after Black Friday. 

Dear Terry,

My name is ********* and I work in the Five Below Customer Relations Department.

I am sorry to hear that your helicopter's missing a piece. If you can send me a mailing address, I will send you a replacement.

Gonna miss MW CS.

Scotsbloke

There are two aspects to this.  The first is the CS aspect as described above.  I buy a wall clock, say, and it looks shite in my kitchen when I get it home.  If the item can be returned to stock and I get a refund then I feel well-disposed towards that place and will feel keen to return.

Marks and Spencers have employed this tactic for years to great success.

There's another and more subtle aspect to it which is in the area of women's clothing.  All of the chain-stores in the UK will allow a girl to buy shirts/skirts/pants and bring them back and will repay you if they can restock the item.  Why?  1. Good CS.  2. They know that a decent proportion of girls cant be arsed bringing the items back and will chuck the ill-fitting ones in the back of the wardrobe.