Sign in to follow this  
Kreole

Sorry sir, we do not give cash refunds; exchanges only

Kreole

Probably most of expats have already learned this lesson:  Do not buy anything in the RP and expect to return the item for a cash refund.

I bought some tools at Metro Gaisano, but decided later that day that I didn't need some of the more expensive items.  The next day, since I found myself in Colon, I decided to purchase another less expensive line of the same tools and then return the ones I bought the next day.  I spoke with the same sales person about making the exchange and explained to him the reason.  And that I would bring back the unwanted items the next morning.  So, I paid cash for the new items and returned the next day with the ones I no longer needed.  Only then, did the sales staff and manager tell me their "no cash refund" policy.  I could only exchange the value for other items in the store.

Now I am stuck with 1,100 p worth of tools I do not need, and cannot find anything else in the store that I wanted to buy.  I am only passing through Cebu for a few more days and then head back to Siquijor.  The manager said that usually the person has to make exchanges within the first month, but I won't be back in Cebu for almost 3 months.  So, he gave me a 3 month window (signed on the receipt) in which to exchange.

Perhaps this no cash refund is the prevalent policy in all stores, and I am just late in coming up to speed on this reality.  Anyone here planning to purchase Xmas gifts at Metro Gaisano in Colon?  I will be happy to exchange this merchandise for cash, even at a discount. 

Paul

That's an old rule, like number 5 or so, regarding living in the Philippines. 

I have to admit, it is good to see businesses again that accept returns 30, 60, and even 90 days after your initial purchase. 

Stateside, they like happy customers.

• Like 1

musicman666

I had bought something which turned out to be faulty....that was the last item so I had to take a credit note ....I'm sure this is against the law.

mpt1947

Prior to coming to the Philippines I worked at a Grocery Store  - We NEVER Gave Cash Back - even if the item was faulty or out of date.  We would give the customer a Gift Card in the amount of the disputed return.  If the customer was returning a bad product we would add on the cost of their expense in the return.  Even if the customer paid by Check  - Gift Card - the only time we would not give out a Gift Card is if the customer paid by plastic - then the transaction would be a Credit Back to your card, of course you would have show more ID then when you originally paid for the item, often it was easier to take a Gift Card which was always offered.

I think it is a good policy and I would suggest that you go back to the store and ask for  a Gift Card for the disputed amount.  That way you don't need to be looking at the calendar wondering when you can work a trip back to Cebu

SkyMan

Be happy they will even exchange.  Years ago I bought a baby gift, a small stroller I think.  Next day decided a playpen would be more useful so brought the stroller back.  Exchanging for the more expensive playpen was like filing a court case with a half dozen employers and at least one manager involved.  It took well over an hour.

As for tools and stuff I've had to completely change my shopping happens from the US and going to Lowes or Home Depot.  It was nice to be able to buy more than what I needed cause I might need more or to buy things because I wasn't sure what I needed.  Doing some plumbing? Just buy a handful of each type of fitting and some extra length of pipe, no problem.  Just return whatever you don't need.  You could even get free delivery for a large enough order and then return some of it.  Ahhh well.  Now I end up making extra trips because I don't buy enough trying not to buy extras.

• Like 1

smokey

Prior to coming to the Philippines I worked at a Grocery Store  - We NEVER Gave Cash Back - even if the item was faulty or out of date.  We would give the customer a Gift Card in the amount of the disputed return.  If the customer was returning a bad product we would add on the cost of their expense in the return.  Even if the customer paid by Check  - Gift Card - the only time we would not give out a Gift Card is if the customer paid by plastic - then the transaction would be a Credit Back to your card, of course you would have show more ID then when you originally paid for the item, often it was easier to take a Gift Card which was always offered.

I think it is a good policy and I would suggest that you go back to the store and ask for  a Gift Card for the disputed amount.  That way you don't need to be looking at the calendar wondering when you can work a trip back to Cebu

what store did you work at i sure would not shop there ..... Once i used a rip saw i picked up from home depo i took it home used it and it sat there one week i figured i sure would not be needing it again soon took it back and they only let me have a credit ... (( should i complain ?   in the usa they will allow you to returne  something with out proof you even bought it there but only give you a credit if you have the paperwork home depo or costo gives you MONEY back within 30 days ... here i bought a pocket wifi at smart store took it home did not work at my house NO refund .. NO exchange NO credit the customers here have 0 power then are sheep with money

Edited by smokey

Highlighter

You bought some tools and because you made a bad judgement you now expect the shop to take them back and give you a refund? I must be missing something here, I would have thought the store credit was the best you could expect.

Store credit / no cash refund is the norm in Australia for many shops.

• Like 6

Humboldt

it's 90 days at Costco , cash back , walking out of the store I can see the abuse , last time, there I saw professional paint sprayer

looked like the guy painted this whole house , just took it back after the job was finished ,

Also my wife was in awe at the return policy , she would buy gold jewelry , then 2 months later she would see new item in store

and trade up ..  or full refund ,,,

• Like 1

oztony

Is that the correct figure PHP 1,100...... if it is not a typo it just seems such a menial outlay to be concerned ,

And no I am not comparing it to the fact that it is only 20 bucks , I realise we are in the Philippines

It just seems to be such a small amount to be hassling around and spending energy on ,

Can you list the items you have decided to not want , just so we can get a scale of what your frustrations are over

Edited by oztony
  • Like 4

Tin

Only then, did the sales staff and manager tell me their "no cash refund" policy. I could only exchange the value for other items in the store. Now I am stuck with 1,100 p worth of tools I do not need, and cannot find anything else in the store that I wanted to buy. I am only passing through Cebu for a few more days and then head back to Siquijor. The manager said that usually the person has to make exchanges within the first month, but I won't be back in Cebu for almost 3 months. So, he gave me a 3 month window (signed on the receipt) in which to exchange.

Worked as cs before and usually handles pissed off white guys who either wants a refund or an exchange of merchandise. There was once a Canadian guy who bought an industrial fan worth more than 3k, he thinks the quality is not worth the amount of money he paid. He returned it and I faced him with the no return policy of the store, he gets mad yelled at me and asked for the manager. Manager came down and said the store will refund, pissed me off as she directly told the guy opposite of the store policy that I have been trying to explain.  The main reason why they don't do refund is because it is a long paper work, if you could go through all the waiting and the hassle you would be given the refund.( You have to really look pissed off, and never let the manager or the cs win on the argument :P).They will try to delay  so you get piss and leave the store.

The receipt is  made of some sort of shiny paper that after a few days the writings would be delated, if it is  to be keep for a few months it is  better to Photocopy it.

SomeRandomGuy

For all those that do not speak filipino cs means customer service.

U know using words instead of the first two letters of a job title helps people understand a story

Bah humbug

• Like 3

contraman

For all those that do not speak filipino cs means customer service.

U know using words instead of the first two letters of a job title helps people understand a story

Bah humbug

Customer Service used in the same sentence as philippines is an oxymoron

• Like 9

Kreole

The receipt is made of some sort of shiny paper that after a few days the writings would be delated, if it is to be keep for a few months it is better to Photocopy it.

Thanks for the tip.  I find that the same thing happens with my ATM receipts.  They fade out after a week or a month, so they can never be used by the customer.  Very tricky!  I pointed this out to the manager, because I like to keep my receipts, which is a good practice.  She said they know the ink disappears; so what!

• Like 1

Kreole

I have to admit, it is good to see businesses again that accept returns 30, 60, and even 90 days after your initial purchase.

Actually, the manager agreed to extend the period because I am leaving for Siquijor and only come back to Cebu every 2 to 3 months.  Ordinarily, they only offer you one month.