Use of "waivers" for school activities

I wanted to compare experiences with other members regarding the use of "waivers" for school activities. I am referring to the document parents are expected/required to sign prior to having their child participate in a school event such as sporting activity off campus, field trip of all types, that sort of thing.

In have had our children in two schools, both part of a university. One is an elementary school and one is high school. Both schools have waivers, but they take different forms.

For example, the waiver from the elementary school will have some basic details follwed with the statement:

"We will not held the school liable for any untoward incident that may happen which is beyond their control." (Exactly as written)

The high school sometimes has just a notification of some activity and we just need to acknowledge this by signing......no statement concerning liability.

We have two other versions. One we were recently given even required the signatures to be notarized. The statement on this one says:

I/we hereby acknowledge that sufficient information has been provided by the school with respect to the planned activity, duration, location, method of transportation, participants and supervision.

I/we hereby acknowledge that RISKS or INJURIES are inherent in participating in learning activities outside the school. These types of injuries may be minor or serious and may result from one's actions or the actions or inactions of others, or a combination of both.

I/we understand that the rules and regulations established for the school trip are designed for the safety and protection of the participants and hereby undertake to inform my child to abide by these rules and regulations.

I/we declare having read and understood the above Parent Consent Agreement in its entirety and herby consent to allow my-our child to participate, acknowledge all of the foregoing."

(Exactly as written). This particular one requires a notary.

The last one is my favorite:

"The DEPED will not be held liable of my child for any untoward happening."

These are three examples.

I was wondering if other members have had similar "waivers" presented to them.

In most cases, we don't sign, as we end up driving our child to the activity. The waiver seems to more associated with the transportation. At least so far we have not had an issue.

In the high school, the waivers (second example above) seem more serious, since they even want the signature notarized. In actual fact, our child simply takes the form, signed by one of us and gives it to a lawyer who notarized it, sans person.

The last one comes from a different school which is the host to an activity. So, two waivers get signed. One for the child's school and one for the host school.

It is crystal clear what is intended by these documents, It is a way to get us to acknowledge that if anything happens, it NOT MY FAULT (the school). That is the intent.

The wording is so poor I doubt it would stand up under any scrutiny in a legal setting. However, it is a fair question to be asked......if the parent doesn't know what the meaning is, why did they sign it?

In effect, these seem like blank checks to be signed to absolve the schools from any liability.

I'm interested in other members experiences. Those who have children in school and have to decide whether to sign or not.

colemanlee

The wording is so poor I doubt it would stand up under any scrutiny in a legal setting. However, it is a fair question to be asked......if the parent doesn't know what the meaning is, why did they sign it?

We have six in school, and we get things like this all the time.  I have not seen any that have to be notarized yet.....as I remember it in the states they did something similar with my son but that was 40 years ago.....and yes its a cover your ass thing and I really doubt it would stand up in court....

What I do like, is the English used...just think, the same people that wrote this are teachers and teach your child to speak English!

We just sign the things, usually we are there anyway......

Those disclaimers have been around in the US for decades.  And no they don't stand up in court.  The key element is "under our control" and the safety and well being of your child is exactly that...under their control.  But the legal department require it ....go figure.

rainymike

We get these regularly for PE activities, off campus activities. I've even signed them at playgrounds at the malls.

I doubt that they would hold up in court though. If negligence is involved, I think it becomes a different matter. I did not give my permission for the school or the playground to act in a negligent fashion and cause harm to my child. LOL ... at least I'll find a lawyer who would back my line of thought up.