Hello Friends

We assist my in-laws in the Phils, Cebu with monthly transfers of money. Their electric bill is higher than ours here in the USA. They are using ONE TV and some minor lighting, maybe a fan. Computer turned on only when needed. No REF plugged in. They only plug it in when they shop to keep perishable food safe.

The Question is; I want them to request that VECO move the electric meter to their house, instead of the lazy Filipino way of "centrally located meters". Perfect setting for theft of electricity. How many other houses are we paying for?? I realize that electric rates may be the highest in the world. Their bills are close to $128.00USD!!!

That's almost what we were paying here in the USA for our electric. A/C , Pump filter for the swimming pool, 3 flat screens on in the evenings, computers on, lights everywhere, my audio studio and Ham radio equipment 24/7.

Side note:

I'll kick myself in the ass on this one: I thought the family was needing a replacement frig with freezer. The previous unit became defective and needed a compressor. It was only 4 yrs old.

Come to find out from my wife; they rarely use the new REF. Only plug it in when they want to make ice candy. Never have enough food to use it on a regular basis. So, the poor thing runs most of the time trying to cool back down almost empty. A refrigerator runs more when empty, than full of food.

I shudda bought a little apartment type frig for when they want to cool food . I'll ask them to try to sell the broken unit for parts and the new one for half of what I paid and they can buy a small apartment type.

Thanks for any input. I am going to officially ask them to contact VECO about moving the meter to their house. Has anybody requested anything like this??

Fred

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woolf

• D_D

• Paul

• ROVER

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My latest VECO bill  

Easy  to check if anyone is stealing   Turn everything off (main cb to off) go check if meter is spinning now do that a few times random and you will know

We use VECO also Consolacion/Liloan Cebu.....   We have 3 full size fans that run 24 hours a day Large (but not the largest) refrigerator that runs 24 hours a day (open and close all day selling So

Posted Images

Nangulo

A refrigerator runs more when empty, than full of food.

Try telling that to a Filipino.

On topic, $128 USD for what you've described is terribly high.  I have all of that, plus a ref, several electric fans, lights, lights, lights, microwave, toaster (no aircon).  I pay about $25 USD per month in northern Mindanao.  When I payed the VECO man, it was similar.  Never was my bill over 1500 pesos/month for fans, ref, TV, lights, microwave.

contraman

Have you actually sighted the VECO Bill or is this what you are being told it is.?

• Like 2

Side note:

I'll kick myself in the ass on this one: I thought the family was needing a replacement frig with freezer. The previous unit became defective and needed a compressor. It was only 4 yrs old.

Come to find out from my wife; they rarely use the new REF. Only plug it in when they want to make ice candy. Never have enough food to use it on a regular basis. So, the poor thing runs most of the time trying to cool back down almost empty. A refrigerator runs more when empty, than full of food.

I shudda bought a little apartment type frig for when they want to cool food . I'll ask them to try to sell the broken unit for parts and the new one for half of what I paid and they can buy a small apartment type.

Thanks for any input. I am going to officially ask them to contact VECO about moving the meter to their house. Has anybody requested anything like this??

Fred

One of the tricks to always have the fridge and freezer full to run more efficient is fill it with water and ice to sell. 

I had a successful ice selling business making around Php50 a day selling it to the ice-cream makers, then I left the business to my helpers who decided to use tap water rather than filtered water and I lost all my customers. 

Install your own meter coming into the house to see how much power is being stolen between the VECO meter and the house. Also buy a energy monitor , to find out what appliance is costing you the most to run. 

Edited by D_D
  • Like 2

Well, at least you are on target with either:

1. Electricity is being stolen.

2. Your family is lying their asses off about the amount of the bill. 

If that is all they are running each month, and you feel as though you want to send them something, send them $50 USD. That will MORE than cover their power bill with VECO, guaranteed. 

As you say, they will not run anything unless absolutely needed.

• Like 2

One of the tricks to always have the fridge and freezer full to run more efficient is fill it with water and ice to sell. 

I had a successful ice selling business making around Php50 a day selling it to the ice-cream makers, then I left the business to my helpers who decided to use tap water rather than filtered water and I lost all my customers. 

Install your own meter coming into the house to see how much power is being stolen between the VECO meter and the house. Also buy a Kill A Watt Meter , to find out what appliance is costing you the most to run. 

1. Filipinos will never understand keeping a refrigerator or freezer, full.

2. Now you know why you cannot leave Filipinos in charge of a small business.

3. Make sure the power meter, if you are ever going to buy one, is not rated for US power. 

4. I agree with the meter idea. But, it seems as though you are living outside the Philippines and just wish to help the family with the power bill. So, again, I would just send them about $50 USD per month knowing that will cover their power bill quite well. 

Does anyone know what the current rates are through VECO?

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

We use VECO also Consolacion/Liloan Cebu.....

We have 3 full size fans that run 24 hours a day

Large (but not the largest) refrigerator that runs 24 hours a day (open and close all day selling Sodas)

Computer that runs at least 15 hours a day (between me and my wife)

Regular T.V. and DVD probably 12 hours a day

1 (one) 1/2 HP Air conditioner that we just got a few months ago and it runs about 6 to 8 hours per day MOST DAYS.

at least 2 lights stay on all day (I can't see well)

2 porch light stays on about 6-10 hours a night (we have a small home seri-seri)

Our electric bill give or take a few pesoS is 3,000 php per month that is about $68. USD.....

EDITED TO ADD: This 3,000 is with the air.....before the air it was only about 2,700 or a touch less.........

I did this months bill TOTAL DIVIDED BY HOURS USED and it comes to 11.00 php per KWH

Edited by ROVER
  • Like 3

I will carefully ask my wife if she has actually seen a bill from VECO. I do not want to go down the roads of doubting other people's word. I'm sure it is broken down in some strange hieroglyphics showing KWH and price per and the other familiar charges. Generation, distribution, etc etc

The Filipino system of centrally located meters is for the convenience of the lazy employee to read a bunch of meters on a pole and be gone.

And to save more money the electric bills are passed out to neighbors and they pass them around the neighborhood to the owner of the bill. They cannot use Phils Post office?? I think they do the same for the water bill.

In fact the water meter is about  700 feet from the house. Again, we are at that centrally located meter thing. If you have a leak on the "paying side" of the meter it's on you bub!!!

Fred

1. Filipinos will never understand keeping a refrigerator or freezer, full.

They will understand if they are selling water and ice making money !

contraman

There was a Topic on LinC about utility rate comparisons not so long ago.

I am on my tablet and can not search for it, maybe someone can help find it

I will carefully ask my wife if she has actually seen a bill from VECO. I do not want to go down the roads of doubting other people's word. I'm sure it is broken down in some strange hieroglyphics showing KWH and price per and the other familiar charges. Generation, distribution, etc etc

Well, as you can see by Rover's information, one or the other is happening, for sure. So, I guess - hope for the best - someone stealing the power, and prepare for the worst - the family lying to you. I assure you, if they are lying about the power bill, you will not be the first person lied to. Families do it to OFW, even, trying to get them to send more money for support.

They will understand if they are selling water and ice making money !

Even then, they won't keep it filled. I have seen many selling ice candy on the side of the road. 

• Like 1

Even then, they won't keep it filled. I have seen many selling ice candy on the side of the road.

That is why they need to sell the ice to the sellers on the road !

Of course they are going to get discouraged going out on the road to make 5 pesos, but if they know all they have to do is fill the plastic bags full of ice and put them in the fridge and freezer, then sell the water and ice to the ice cream makers, while watching wowowee. 

There are some successful small ice businesses, the ones who are given a free fridge / freezer and have their electricity paid do well. 

If you think someone is high jacking your electricity after the meter, and you can't trace any taps,  I would disconnect my line after the meter for a few days then wait to see who comes out to wonder why their electricity is not working. They will find a new line to tap. 

If anyone needs me to help tap off someone else's line I can work hot for a reasonable fee. 

• Like 1

If you think someone is high jacking your electricity after the meter, and you can't trace any taps,  I would disconnect my line after the meter for a few days then wait to see who comes out to wonder why their electricity is not working. They will find a new line to tap. 

Better yet. Wait until night then disconnect the meter and see if anyone else's power goes off at the same time.

** Please do not advertise services, Douglas. 

• Like 2
A_Simple_Man

Maybe they are not lying to you.  Maybe no one is stealing electricity.  Maybe they just have so much free electricity that they allow the neighbors to plug into their outlets with long extension cords and siphon off as much as they need.  Its a common practice in rural areas.  Question is, do you want to pay for it?  I like the idea of sending them a set amount each month for electric and if they cannot manage then they need to call the electric company to ask what they can do to reduce the bill.

Better yet. Wait until night then disconnect the meter and see if anyone else's power goes off at the same time.

** Please do not advertise services, Douglas. 

I saw a PBS special about several "providers" for free electricity in India and how all of that stealing is killing the utility..........literally!!! The entire country had a major blackout from the severe heat wave and complete failure of the electrical grid from stolen power.

Fred