Sign in to follow this  
Runian

ATM overview

tonny

I do see they want a current not expired drivers lic number from the USA is there a way around that one as i have been here 10yrs ?

TheWhiteKnight

I do see they want a current not expired drivers lic number from the USA is there a way around that one as i have been here 10yrs ?

Ahh, that one might be tough, I've been keeping mine current. I'd role the dice and put your old license information in there if you have it. I'm not sure if the banks actually know how to check if it's valid, only that it's been associated with you at some point.

Journeyer

Wow I guess myself and 3 other expats I helped open their accounts are full of shit? haha.

You can open up COMPLETELY online, with nothing to sign, not even a signature card. It's mailed to your US street address. They have no idea where I'm located and don't ask. Once delivered, you call them and tell them you already left for vacation and if they can mail you a new card directly to you in PH for $15 or you have a friend or family member bring it for you.

I've done it personally from PH, and I've helped others do the same. They never ask where you are currently located and you would be stupid to volunteer it, though even then I don't think they care.

Not anymore.

I tried to open an account online, they mailed a letter to the US address stating they required a phone call, when I called they said I would need to open an account in person in the US, the reason being my IP address was outside the US.

easydrifter

I tried and failed 3 times to get this Schwab card everyone here raves about. The first time I applied I used my private mailbox address (mail forwarding outfit), that blew it, they want a physical address. I gave them my physical address, no good, they said it's only a mobile home on the property ? I guess double-wides aren't good enough. Third time they turned me down for not completing the form about which type of investments I want to make. The guy on the phone said I could apply again, but by this time I had had enough of their BS so I told him no thanks, 3 trys is enough for me. Feck Em

Goetz1965

Actually this thread would make more sense when wewould post the Atms that DONT add 200php fee for withdrawels !

I only know Metrobank being one company that doesn't have this "We add 200php fee to your withdrawel" notice onscreen when I get a money.

And as my german bank DKB will not refund me from June onwards (!) I now start switching and using my creditcard at every possible usage like grocery restaurant etc. I just hope that even in the province they now will use cardreaders more widley ....

TheWhiteKnight

Actually this thread would make more sense when wewould post the Atms that DONT add 200php fee for withdrawels !

I only know Metrobank being one company that doesn't have this "We add 200php fee to your withdrawel" notice onscreen when I get a money.

And as my german bank DKB will not refund me from June onwards (!) I now start switching and using my creditcard at every possible usage like grocery restaurant etc. I just hope that even in the province they now will use cardreaders more widley ....

Are there any banks left in PH that don't charge the P200 on foreign cards? I think they all finally colluded to charge the fee a few years back

Salty Dog

Wow I guess myself and 3 other expats I helped open their accounts are full of shit? haha.

You can open up COMPLETELY online, with nothing to sign, not even a signature card. It's mailed to your US street address. They have no idea where I'm located and don't ask. Once delivered, you call them and tell them you already left for vacation and if they can mail you a new card directly to you in PH for $15 or you have a friend or family member bring it for you.

I've done it personally from PH, and I've helped others do the same. They never ask where you are currently located and you would be stupid to volunteer it, though even then I don't think they care.

Hell if I lie and cheat, I can also get away with just about anything. That doesn't make it right though. I also don't find people stupid for following the rules.

NOSOCALPINOY

NOSOCALPINOY, on 02 Apr 2016 - 09:20 AM, said: Because withdrawing just P20k at a time or per day won't cut it when one's monthly living expenses is over P100k to P200k a month and some expats live out in the province off the beaten path far away from any ATMs. Makes plenty of sense to me and other expats living off the beaten path out in isolated secluded provinces or island.  

You're talking about 2 different situations as one.  If your monthly living expenses are over 100K I'm betting you don't live in the province and therefore have plenty of ATM access.  I don't get more than 10K from an ATM at a time unless I have a specific reason and that last me close to a week, sometimes more.  If I needed to though, I could go get p100K or more from an ATM.

I was speaking from what we experienced long ago when we first arrived in the Philippines and lived in the province 50 miles away from any banks and or ATMs and would only drive into the city once every 3 months, since the roads weren't at times all that passable due to landslides and flash floods. 
At the time I only knew of one bank that accepted our U.S. ATM card in the city and it was hit and miss when the ATM was on-line and the withdrawal transaction limit was only 5 transactions of P4,000 increments, P20,000 per day. At times, we would have to drive into the city 2 to 3 times a week just to withdraw the limit for the day and sometimes go home empty handed, because their ATM was off-line more often than none at all and sometimes my wife would have to pawn some of her jewelry just to get by until we could withdraw from that one ATM.
Where we live today, we have at least half a dozen banks just within a 1/4 mile radius that accepts any and all of our cards without any issues.