Sign in to follow this  
Paul

hey thebob and others, water jars (Cambodia)

colemanlee

thanks, that was cool, two questions..how much you guess they weigh and aprox how much they cost?

skippy

Thank you Paul,i wonder if our young people today could keep up with the work load of those fellows ? i would have stripped a gear halfway through ! haha

• Like 1

KennyF

So they leave the wooden form inside? Or did I miss something?

KonC

fred42

KonC

Looks to me that after they get the form in place they pack out the top with about 6 inches of cloth and then render round it.. That looks enough too pull out the form piece by piece from the top when the jar is dry enough.

I could be wrong though!

I wonder how they fix that disk on the floor to the jar??

Hmmm??

We have a factory like that here in Bohol.. They produce large plant pots etc using similar techniques.

Edited by fred42
  • Like 2

Ozbrum

Brilliant !

anxious to see the answers to the questions listed...

Paul

thanks, that was cool, two questions..how much you guess they weigh and aprox how much they cost?

Not sure. Two men can move them. On his description, Brian put they are 750 liters and sell for $17 USD each. However, those are not 750 liter jars. They are about 400 liters. I'm not sure how much they sell for - about $12 USD or so. The weight I am not sure of, but those can be moved by one man.

The ones we have at the farm, are 1200 liters; at the house in Battambang, 750 liters.

KonC

No. They remove the form after 24 hours. 

Looks to me that after they get the form in place they pack out the top with about 6 inches of cloth and then render round it.. That looks enough too pull out the form piece by piece from the top when the jar is dry enough.

I could be wrong though!

I wonder how they fix that disk on the floor to the jar??

Hmmm??

We have a factory like that here in Bohol.. They produce large plant pots etc using similar techniques.

I'm not sure. When I went there to shoot my video, they had already gotten past that part

They are pretty good at their work.

======================================

Something regarding these jars, though. When you have an empty one, new or old, you have to fill it about 1/3rd the way and let it set for a couple of days. Then, fill it another 1/3 or so, and wait another couple to three days. After then, fill it the rest of the way full with water. If you do not do this, the jar will break.

• Like 3

to_dave007

Thank your friend for us.. That was a really good video.

thebob

Thanks for that. It's all perfectly clear now. Really nice technique. I'm going to have a try at that myself.

• Like 1

Paul

It was the best way I could come up to show you guys how it was done.
Glad it helped.

• Like 1

battleborn

Nice video.  

• Like 1

Holmes

I like the video. Pretty cool how they do that from scratch.

Paul

Thanks, everyone. The guy who did the video is a damned good photographer as well. He even uses one of those quad-copters to do aerial videos. I think my next project will be seeing if we can get that sorted, maybe after I get back to Cambodia.

Paul279

Very nice video

calasiaobound

Cool to see that process