How do you structure your learning?

I just started learning cebuano (speaking only, not interested in writing, but want to be able to communicate with my maids and other worker around).

My question is, how do you start? Do you start writing dialogs on a white board in cebuano and try to memorize questions and answers?

I have no clue how to start... I know lots of words, but want now start with communication anyhow, but I am stuck due to the fact that I have no idea what comes first.

I have help from a native speaker, but she also does not really know how to start. verbs first? Lists of nouns? Or direct some sentences I could use within my house?

colemanlee

If it was me and I really wanted to learn, I would just hire a tutor.  Language is not one of my forte's so If I really wanted to learn I suppose I would start with the basics and go from there.

This forum has some learning courses listed on the portal page on the right side that you might wish to try.

If it was me and I really wanted to learn, I would just hire a tutor.  Language is not one of my forte's so If I really wanted to learn I suppose I would start with the basics and go from there.

I already tried various tutor, even a high school teacher, none had any clue about how to study a language, that's why I was hoping somebody who actually learned with a proper tutor can give me some hints about how the tutor planned the individual sessions, what was learned in them etc. I am also only interested in the spoken language, not the written. I noticed that theres a huge difference. I know a little "grammar", but when people speak, they seem to completely ignore any grammar :)

I have had the experience of learning languages several times and found a couple of tricks that helped me. First, I learned numbers. Sounds too easy, but this also leads to idioms of how numbers are used.

For example, in Korea, numbers used are both Chinese numbers and Korean numbers. Usage depends on how the number is being used.

Here, numbers can be in English, Spanish or some mixture.

I would practice the numbers by using license plates and see if I could say the numbers in my head.

I then learned a variety of nouns associated with what I am familiar with. Foods are good start.

I used to joke that I could speak fluid German......bier, wein, wasser, milch

Then I learned some verbs. Those can be the most challenging since they can change according to use.

In some languages there is a high or low form. In effect, the casual or formal use. Here, it seems to be more of a casual use of slang mixed with the grammatically correct sentences.

A few choice phrases could be memorized, but this can be problematic. The phrase may be learned by you, but your accent will make it hard to be understood.

• Like 3

If it's your maid and other workers I would recommend "Essential Cebuano", not "Romantic Cebuano".

spritsail

My wife only teaches me two words - jerjer and terjak. Not sure what they mean

I learnt french and german through the bbc language courses and watching as many french and german programmes (tv and movies)  as possible - a french mistress was also a great help. If you can buy a cebuana language course which includes dvd/cd and book then work through that - they are usually structured from basic to advanced. Buy a few videoke dvds, visasayan songs etc, and follow the subtitles and listen to the words. I find pronunciation the hardest thing about cebuana, too many damned syllables - 2 is my max.

I just started learning cebuano (speaking only, not interested in writing, but want to be able to communicate with my maids and other worker around).

Where do you start in Learning a language?  Start with your motivation and what interests you.

Not knowing what your learning style is as a language learner myself I suggest for a start you write down in English the things you want to say to your maids and workers, a list of phrases. 

Then get one of your tutors to write adjacent to the English phrase the local Cebuano vernacular of that phrase so you have English on one side and the Cebuano on the other. 

Next get her or him or both to say the phrase in Cebuano while you tape them its better to get different Cebuano speakers so your ear gets to decode the sounds and trims the nuances of different speakers.   Its a mistake to have only one voice to listen to.

Listen and read at first so your ear gets used to the sounds then try speaking the phrases and later get a native to correct your pronounciation as you do it.  You want what you say to be understood by the listener.   Listen an awful lot, read both english and Cebuano until you no longer need to read.  I know you said you were not interested in writing but know this, writing helps memory, you are not going to be writing a novel you are using all your senses to learn with.  Write longhand with pen or pencil not with typing on computer or laptop researchers found writing by hand benefits recall.   Then start speaking, repeat, adapt to the way that works best for you.  

At the beginning even if you can't have a conversation at least you can communicate meaningfully to them what you want and they can reply yes or no which you should be able to understand. 

You can take this approach and expand on it with other phrases around subjects you are interested. 

Thats how I would start.   Then find other resources that can help you.  

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for all the reply and great tips.

I speak German and English, so this would be my 3rd. language, and anyhow the most difficult for me.

because of my German background, I can pronounce Cebuano quite well, barely have any issue with it, I just had no clue how I should properly study, but you shined some light on it :)

jerjer and terjak. Not sure what they mean

Both means Sex or to have sex but both are informal words, newly made words.

It is not terjak, it is Turjak.:)

Edited by Tin

Another trick I have used quite effectively was to create small flash cards with commonly used words, mostly nouns. THese can be placed on objects in the house, though that will probably be impractical with a maid cleaning your place. The idea is to associate the name with the item or perhaps the task such as washing, painting, etc.

The other use of the cards is to test yourself or have others do this. There are even apps you can buy which allow custom made flash cards. These are mostly for teachers, but do allow the creation of a vocabulary which can be available with an iPad or other device.

There was a technique I used with some Korean children. We would make pizza in my home. I placed the vocabulary cards on the various objects such as refrigerator, oven etc. As we assembled the ingredients, we would practice the various words associated with the singular task of cooking. It worked pretty well since there was a focus on the topic.

I got a lot of grammar already, but the spoken language is so much different then what I found online.

I started now with verbs, like luto, kuha, palit, and such, and use them in sentences like lutoang patatas..., lutoon nimong imong pagkaon, giluto nimong imong pagkaon?, Unsay imong giluto? and such.

That kind of study seems to help, because I can actually practice them with my maids... maybe it sounds stupid or completely wrong, but I seem to learn better this way.

I know lots of nouns, so thats not a real problem. My issue was to use my knowledge in a sentence, and not learn this "tourist" bisaya :)

• Like 1