Flying Business or First Class

14. Forum Staff

• Administrators / Moderators - We have both on this forum. Each of the staff know their respective duties and what is required of them to help maintain order on the forums. If you have an issue with one of the Moderators, please contact an Administrator to sort out your issue.
  • Forum Members- Please leave moderating to the staff. If you believe a topic or post violates the rules, click the "report" button at the bottom of the post. Currently, it is the left most button. Alternatively, you may send a PM to one of the moderators of that forum, or to any administrator on the site. Please include a link to the post in question. However, do not police the forum yourself, as that often leads to arguments, flaming, and afterward, someone usually getting banned.
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LechonBuddha

• Skywalker

• ex231

• Scruffydog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Note to self: Have Matrix upgrade my ticket to "Business Class". 

Not sure how to reply. How can people afford Business or First Class? Some people earn more than others... some work for large companies... it's as simple as that.   I think the cost of First Class

LOL.  The last time I flew First Class, they came around with a crystal dish piled with dinner rolls.  I reached out to grab one and got my hand slapped with the tongs.  (You're supposed to point one

Posted Images

miles-high

only a simpleton would cram in economy

Such as the Hunt brothers… One of them just passed away about a month ago – I am sure he regrets he couldn’t take it with him… ;)

I've flown quite a bit in business and first, also worked for companies where you can either fly business or take cash in lieu and fly economy. Needless to say I flew economy. I'd say overall perhaps 5-10% of my total flying has been in business, and now with an employee who has a blanket economy only policy I only fly J when I upgrade with miles. I fly 50-100 sectors per year and am Qantas Platinum yet have never had an op up/complimentary upgrade.

The regular trips between Sydney and Europe for a few days of meetings at HQ can be tiring and business would make it easier, but really a few hours in economy is really not so bad. Status of course brings perks which make it easier, but really when faced with a choice of business or the cash, I take the cash.

LechonBuddha

Perhaps I should have added that I fly economy very often, because the time factor doesn't kick in, and also the budget airlines don't cater for customers looking for a premium experience.

I can deal with it.  But given a choice I prefer the better experience.

It's not a crime.

It's about VALUE to most of us. If you believe you realize the proportional extra value from the extra money you spend flying business then you're good to go. Realistically, most of us don't see that value so we fly economy. There's a reason most business fares are paid for by employers and If I could write-off the increased expense there might be enough extra value in it for me too. 

Value is a funny thing and how you perceive it doesn't necessarily come down to how much you spend. I can go out to dinner with my wife spending $25, then walk away thinking it was money wasted (no value) if it were a terrible meal. On the other hand, I've spent $300 on a meal that I thought was worth every cent as I walked out…an excellent value. Conversely, I could spend $300 thinking it was a waste and $25 thinking it was a great value. 

I would love flying business or first class every time but, like most people, I would rather keep the money than have the very temporary increase in comfort and supposed prestige of riding in front.

All this said, it's crazy that nearly everyone on a plane pays a different price for their seat. Amazing how the airlines get away with it. 

• Like 1

I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I heard if during a busy season you fly by yourself on standby you have a very good chance of being bumped up to first class! :-)

Awhile back I joined an online travel agency business opportunity. It turned out to be mostly a pyramid scam. However, it did get me into a legitimate travel agency organization ( that I can't remember the name of) that gave me a card for various benefits and discounts from airlines and upgrades. With it I got upgraded from Coach to business class with Cathay Pacific from LAX to Hong Kong then coach to Cebu.

Edited by tomaw
Dublin boy

Being over 6 feet and flying over any six hour flight every time business for me. At least I can then sleep and stretch my legs. If I was a short person I would be happy in the back of the bus.

I fly Cathay Pacific to the Philippines from California twice a year and that earns me enough miles to maintain Silver Status (30K/year). That gets me business lounge access at all connection and arrival points, priority checkin, no charge for exit row booking, and frequent free upgrades when flights are full. I'm not sure if the other international carriers offer the same perks for us semi-frequent travelers, but it's well worth for me as I like this airline and the connection in Hong Kong is not bad.

• 3 weeks later...
Dragonladies.org

I've been scouring ticketing sites for a possible trip next year, and have gotten some qoutes from consolidators.    Thiis time around they are spitting out ticket schemes that are no cheaper than the business class tickets I can find on Kayak.

At least before they'd sometimes come up with a cheaper ticket that had long layovers, and some bizarre stops in transit.

FWIW,  Norwegian Air has good transit times from JFK to BKK, and pretty cheap prices coach and the 'premier' class,  (glorfied premium economy/denigrated business class).   I see some other hub points in the US, but the prices aren't so great, and don't see any other Asian destinations, yet.   21-22 hours JFK to BKK isn't bad, with a modest layover in Oslo or Stockholm.

Edited by Dragonladies.org
LechonBuddha

Prices seem cheaper this year to me. One-stop R/T flights out of Dallas for around $900, even seen a few in the $800's. Economy class, February time frame.

I've been scouring ticketing sites for a possible trip next year, and have gotten some qoutes from consolidators. Thiis time around they are spitting out ticket schemes that are no cheaper than the business class tickets I can find on Kayak.

At least before they'd sometimes come up with a cheaper ticket that had long layovers, and some bizarre stops in transit.

FWIW, Norwegian Air has good transit times from JFK to BKK, and pretty cheap prices coach and the 'premier' class, (glorfied premium economy/denigrated business class). I see some other hub points in the US, but the prices are so great, and don't see any other Asian destinations, yet. 21-22 hours JFK to BKK isn't bad, with a modest layover in Oslo or Stockholm.

NYC is one of the best places on the east coast of usa to find cheap flights to RP.

Just did a quick check. For a 2 week trip in April 2015, leaving and returning on a Saturday, on Cathay Pacific is $893 for economy class vs $2342 for premium economy. I don't see anything here worth $1449 extra. Both flights under 22 hours and 1 stop in Hong Kong then flying into Cebu ( JFK - HKG - CEB )

Edited by bigmook
LechonBuddha

That's a great price on Cathay Pacific. Never seen them come close to having the lowest price out of Dallas. 

Prices seem cheaper this year to me. One-stop R/T flights out of Dallas for around $900, even seen a few in the $800's. Economy class, February time frame.

Historically, I recall after January, lower prices being offered for flying. I have never see any that low before, though.

LechonBuddha

Historically, I recall after January, lower prices being offered for flying. I have never see any that low before, though.

I've heard that too but think buying three months out is a better bet. Right now prices seem to be about $200 lower than last year though, Korean is only running $100 lower and Asiana flights seem higher.

Just looked and Emirates has a flight right now for $871. I wouldn't normally consider them but could take advantage of a 22.5 hour layover in Dubai to visit with some good friends. This flight would save me $660 over our flights last year.

TheMatrix

It's amazing seeing these low prices.  I don't ever recall costs this low for international travel... even when fuel was 35 cents per gallon.  I wonder what's causing the low prices?  It can't be fuel since prices are secured a year out with futures contracts.