Flying Business or First Class

batman2525

So my question is not why, but how do you travel in those pricey seats which seem to be two to three times the amount us poor people pay to ride in the back of the bus?

Something that has worked for me most of the time Ive flown anywhere.

If you get to the airport early enough and get in the front of the line at check in you can request to be seated next to the exits,these seats will give you all the extra leg room you need while still being in "cattle class" most airlines still dont charge extra for these seats some may charge an extra $100 bucks,before giving you these seats they will ask you if you have any disabilities(because by sitting in these seats you may be required to open the doors in case of emergency)you will reply saying stating that you do not have any disabilities......I always ask get in the front of the line and ask them very nicely...if the say they have all been taken don't give up and ask them to keep checking.

• Like 1
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LechonBuddha

• Skywalker

• ex231

• Scruffydog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Note to self: Have Matrix upgrade my ticket to "Business Class". 

Not sure how to reply. How can people afford Business or First Class? Some people earn more than others... some work for large companies... it's as simple as that.   I think the cost of First Class

LOL.  The last time I flew First Class, they came around with a crystal dish piled with dinner rolls.  I reached out to grab one and got my hand slapped with the tongs.  (You're supposed to point one

Posted Images

Haven't kept up with all your posts on it, but if nobody has mentioned it you might enjoy a exit row seat for about $50 extra

Cathay Pacific charges an extra USD $100 for the extra legroom exit row seat.

• Like 2

Most of my travelling was for business.

Often the company arranged business class (if it was over 5 hrs or so), which suited me fine.

One company had a system where I had a budget, so I could fly coach then stay at a 5 star hotel, of fly business + 3 star hotel + spend any change locally, or 1st class flights, and the cheapest accomodation one could find.

Make your choice!

• Like 1
David_LivinginTalisay

When I accepted promotion to Engineering Manager - Asia Pacific with American Company - 'Netrix Corporation' whilst working for their NETRIX (EMEA) Ltd in the UK, based in Hong Kong under Regional VP 'Tom Delaney' of NETRIX (HKG) Ltd.

The Business Trip Flight Policy for Netrix (HKG) Ltd, was to fly Cathay Pacific 'Ecconomy' as the Price Point.

When Booking Flights to NETRIX Corporation in Herndon, North Virginia, using IAD (International Airport Dulles), I would usually select 'Virgin Atlantic' to LHR UK, and then to IAD VA.

Not only did this give me a chance to see Family in the UK on either (or both) leg of the journey, but I could Fly Virgin 'Premium Economy' for same or lower price than Cathay Pacific Economy from HKG - IAD.

Business Class style treatment with Virgin;s Premium Economy for the same or lower price of Cathay Pacific Ecconomy!  Not really much of a decision as to which is the better deal, especially when considering the Mileage Points are higher with Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy than Cathay Pacific's Economy Flights.

I managed to become a Virgin 'Gold Card' member, with flyying so many Air Miles with them on Business Trips (at Cathay Pacific Economy price tickets or less).

Virgin Gold Card Members can avail of the 'Club House' at LHR for example, regardless of what ticket category they hold.

Virgin Club House @ Heathrow offers i) Massage, or ii) Haircut, iii) Shoe Shine, iii) Free meals, iv) Free drinks, v) Surround Sound Theater showing MTV (Virgin Records) or Films, vi) Computer Golf Driving Practice, and/or other Video Games Machines.

I have been upgraded to Virgin Upper Class (equivalent to First Class, but Business Class type Prices) as a Virgin Gold ard Holder, more times than with Cathay Pacific, British Airways or any other Airline i had a Mileage Card with.

Virgin Atlantic have some very good 'Promo' Offers.

One such Virgin Promo Offer was "Buy an Upper Class Round Trip Flight and get 2 x Premium economy Round TripTickets for FREE!

I simply showed Tom Delaney my scheduled planned Trips to Netrix HO in Herndon VA and the cost of 3 x Round trip Tickets, flying Cathay Pacific Economy.   Then I showed Upper Class Round Trip to HKG-LHR-HKF, and Premium Economy LHR-IAD-LHR, and 2 more Round Trip flights on Virgin Economy HKG-LHR-IAD-LHR-HKG and it was LOWER with Virgin.  I cant remember if the 2 x Free Round Trip Tickets were Premium or Premium Ecconomy.  (the reason being that if they were 'Ecconomy' they gave me a free upgrade to Premium Economy, (perhaps because of my Virgin Gold Card?).,

The difference between a bought Upper Class Ticket on Virgin Atlantic and an FREE 'Upgrade' from Premium Economy, lies in the Chauffeur driven Limo, that took me to an exclusive Health Club Spa from LHR having arrives at 6am or something.

Here one could avail of Free Full English Breakfast, plus a Sauna and a Massage beforehand.   Since my Familiy in Woking were not going to be awake until 7;30am, I went for the 'Full Monty'.  I was refreshed, relaxed and well fed, before getting back in the Limo taking me to my house in Goldsworth Park, Woking.

When it came to the Upper Class Return trip to Hong Kong, the Limo collected me from my house (after my business trip to Netrix HO, and returned to LHR and home on leave) and took me to special Entrance at LHR.  This was a Fast Track VIP entry to the Virgin Upper Class Check-In at Heathrow, with plenty of time in the Viirgin Club Lounge, before the paid Upper Class flight back to Hong Kong.

Having been 'Upgraded' to Virgin's Upper Class quite a few times, the in-flight experience  was identical to the paid Upper Class Ticket Treatment.  

This being a glass of champagne before take off. A booked Massage at the in-flight Massage station in Upper Class.  Drinks at your seat or at the Upper Class bar,  Bed like reclining seats.   Personal DVD Player and Computer Games (might have been Internet access also?).

They offer a Virgin Tracksuit to change into and hang ones trousers Jacket & Shirt in a Wardrobe.  Needless to say the Travel Kit is 'Upper Class' also compared to Premium Economy (which itself is better kit than the Economy Flight Kit).

The only other time I flew, with a paid 1st Class Ticket, was when I worked for Eurotel in the UK, and had a Business Trip to Cable & Wireless, Barbados with British Airways.

I was to give the Cable & Wireless, Barbados, Technicians, a Training Course on the Netrix Primary Multiplexer, and the S'ales & Marketing' Staff, a Netrix Product Overview and Update presentation.

I tell you, in Barbados they LIVE by that Cedo, "Why Worry, be Happy".  A one day 'Eurotel  P.Mux Course took nearly 3 days in Barbados.  They started much later, took longer break time!  Went to Lunch earlier, returned after lunch much later also,  and a longer afternoon break also.  Pretty sure that I recall them wanting to finish earlier also.

The other great thing about that Business Trip to Barbados was the Hotel that was booked for me had been paid for, However there was a Promo Discount, so was  a lower price ojn Arrival than had been Booked and Paid for already.

The Hotel gave me this as a 'Cash Back' payment (even though the Sales Guy paid and claimed the cost already).  The problem was how to SPEND all this 'rebate', since Exchange Regulations would not allow me to take it out of Barbodos.  

It was great fun, finding different ways to spend all that local currency in Barbados, from that cash rebate from the Hotel.

• Like 3
quit_yume

when i was a systems analyst for ALCOA the in-house travel staff always put me in coach.  when i was made a project manager the in-house staff always put me in first class regardless of cost.

i could never justify paying for first class on my own.  i would much rather use that money for so many other things.

• Like 1
Thalcoozyo

Back to the original post... and his question.  As you see, most of the folk who fly First and Business have long-term standings with airlines, or have flown for many of their working lives and have banked beacoup airmiles.  OP, you are right... to just decide to fly First or Bus. usually equates to a lot of out-of-pocket expenses.  

I fly a LOT domestically in U.S.  The domestics don't "give free" any upgrades... trust me.  You will either pay for it with cash, or you have already paid for it by flying with the carrier for many trips in the past.  For the "average joe" to think they are going to show up for their once-a-year trip to where ever, and wink and smile to the counter-girl, and thus get a free upgrade to Busines... well, it just won't happen.  Yes, sometimes, maybe the flight isn't too full and you can snag an inexpensive upgrade. But this will not be often and certainly should not be your plan if you truly want/need Bus. class seating. 

I agree with the earlier poster in that I'd much rather take the money that the average person would spend on a Bus. class ticket and spend it with my wife at a nice resort or weekend trip. I guess that I'm just not so spoiled, so soft, so pampered, and so "special" in my own eyes that I can't spend 12-14 hrs. in economy where, yes, I might actually have to sit beside someone I don't know and with whom I have little in common. That, in my eyes, is the fun of traveling... meeting new people, some pleasant chit chat... if it works out, great! If not, if they are a jerk, then so what? The flight is over in 12 hours. Is one ever really so special that one cannot sit with the "commoners" ?

• Like 2

My brother always fly's at least business class, he is a department head for the tax office so the government pays, am quite sure they get a better price than the rest of us and his excuse is he needs the room  so he can work on the plain and in the privet lounges as his time is soooo important lol... I have a friend that fly's from Australia to Malaysia return every month for work ( Hallburton ) the company will only spring for cattle class but he always ask for an upgrade on check-in and most time they will put him in business as he is seen as a good customer and there are always empty seats in business..... So I guess get a government job or simply ask .......

• Like 1

I have flown Business for work a lot, when I worked for an airline, now it's just economy.

Business class on Qantas MEL-LAX return for A$600 for a holiday was nice when I had staff travel.

I will upgrade sometimes with points if I want to sleep (usually the best way to use points) but am saving them so I can bring my fiancee if I am away somewhere and want to take her with me.

I always pay for exit rows internationally if I can, domestically I can usually select them at booking as a Gold Frequent Flyer.

Air Asia is good with their Optiontown partnership - I got an upgrade to their premium MEL-KUL last year for US$100 I think, was pretty good.

LechonBuddha

I think the carrier you fly along with your itinerary is as important as the class you fly, if not more so. First of all, there is a dramatic difference between airlines. We're talking everything from service, baggage fees, seating comfort and entertainment. Some airlines are simply head and shoulders above the others. Then, you have available departure times, arrival times and length of layovers, not to mention where those connections and layovers are. I'd fly coach on the right airline with the right itinerary over business class on a lesser carrier flying me all over the place. However, if you can have it all it's your money and I say go for it. Personally, I'm not going to spend thousands extra to have a more comfortable seat for a few hours... even if I can afford it. 

• Like 1
Skywalker

I think it's also pretty fair to mention that if cost were not an issue, everybody would fly business.

It's simply a nice experience.

• Like 2
Skywalker

Personally, I'm not going to spend thousands extra to have a more comfortable seat for a few hours... even if I can afford it. 

It's an interesting perspective.

Many people will pay thousands of dollars for a more comfortable car, and not consider it money badly wasted.

What I am more surprised about, in this thread, is the cost factor is easily the most important point being raised.  Almost nothing about comfort (in all its facets).

Business Class for me is what I want on any flight over 4 hours.  The only time I've flown First is when I was upgraded (for free) on a few occassions.  That was with Emirates, and I was a Gold Card holder. 

Scruffydog

It's an interesting perspective.

Many people will pay thousands of dollars for a more comfortable car, and not consider it money badly wasted.

What I am more surprised about, in this thread, is the cost factor is easily the most important point being raised.  Almost nothing about comfort (in all its facets).

Business Class for me is what I want on any flight over 4 hours.  The only time I've flown First is when I was upgraded (for free) on a few occassions.  That was with Emirates, and I was a Gold Card holder. 

Comparing to a car that upgrading might cost you an extra 5-10K bucks , is hardly a fair comparison, when you might keep the  car 7 years and still have a good bit of extra residual value from the upgrade when you sell.

Compare that to spending an extra 8K-10K that deprecates to 0 after 14 hours and has no residual value after 14 hours. Hardly an apple to apple.

If you got an extra 8 or 10K laying around you can swap for 14 hours of increased comfort great. A lot of us don't .

The cost factor is the only issue. If money is no factor to you what so ever, then only a simpleton would cram in economy.

Edited by Scruffydog
  • Like 1
Skywalker

Perhaps I should have added that I fly economy very often, because the time factor doesn't kick in, and also the budget airlines don't cater for customers looking for a premium experience.

I can deal with it.  But given a choice I prefer the better experience.

It's not a crime.

Scruffydog

Perhaps I should have added that I fly economy very often, because the time factor doesn't kick in, and also the budget airlines don't cater for customers looking for a premium experience.

I can deal with it. But given a choice I prefer the better experience.

It's not a crime.

Heck no. I would be in 1st class all the time if money was not an issue

• Like 1
Mikala

Heck no. I would be in 1st class all the time if money was not an issue

Years ago, my ex worked for United Airlines as a flight attendant and I could get free economy class and very cheap first class tickets easily. Such as paying $120 for a first class flight from LAX to HKG. It got to where I'd rather delay my long distance flights a day or three to be sure I could fly first class. Once onboard, everyone knew I was the spouse of another flight attendant and I got excellent service. They somehow understood I wasn't going to be treating anyone bad or acting like a moron, so the unlimited drinks were truly unlimited.