Flying Business or First Class

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

, but how do you travel in those pricey seats 

Visa or Mastercard. I don't carry Amex. 

50% of the time my own money.

40% client's money. 

10% Miles 

If its over 4 hours and you travel as much as I do, you take business class. Especially when you have important things to do when you arrive at your destination. If you are the general of an army you wouldn't want to send your soldiers in tired, aching and hungry. You would want them well rested, fed and ready to do battle. 

14 hours in no class is not as bad as you might think

Until some twat reclines his seat into your face making it nearly impossible to use your laptop. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LechonBuddha

• Skywalker

• ex231

• Scruffydog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Note to self: Have Matrix upgrade my ticket to "Business Class". 

Not sure how to reply. How can people afford Business or First Class? Some people earn more than others... some work for large companies... it's as simple as that.   I think the cost of First Class

LOL.  The last time I flew First Class, they came around with a crystal dish piled with dinner rolls.  I reached out to grab one and got my hand slapped with the tongs.  (You're supposed to point one

Posted Images

Mikala

I mainly fly Economy class between Korea and the Philippines due to the fact that Cebu-Pathetic does not have business class, plus their exit row seats give me plenty of room for the short 4 hour flight.

My company pays my business class trips home to Vegas, but I rarely find time or interest in going back to the USA and would rather spend my time in SE Asia.

Most times I get upgraded to first class at no extra cost. Sometimes I buy first class tickets, especially for long haul flights.

I can afford it, but find no reason to throw money away if it's not needed. Economy Plus isn't bad, if I keep an extra $5k in my pocket.

Then sometimes it depends on my mood. If I'm coming off insane overtime and being beat up a lot, then I go for first class and only stay in first class hotels.

Best to stay flexible!!

• Like 1
TheMatrix

I have flown first/business class several times, and have only paid for it once.  

I often just "ask" for a upgrade... and get it.  I've occasionally been upgraded for free.  Sometimes there's an opportunity to buy an upgrade for $25-$100 additional if there are available seats.  For example, on my return trip from Phoenix to Portland last week, I upgraded to first class for $50 more on Alaska Airlines.  I once flew around the world First Class on Delta and partner airlines using American Express miles that I was trying to burn through.  When I was the buying agent for AT&T Broadband, I use my personal credit card for many purchases and expensed for reimbursement. I racked up over a million miles in under two years.   

It always helps to be one of their mileage members.

Otherwise, I can't justify spending 3x more.  I ride in coach more than 50% of the time.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Until some twat reclines his seat into your face making it nearly impossible to use your laptop. 

That's an issue with me. While I don't use a laptop, being a big guy, when the seat in front is in full reclined position I almost feel claustrophobic. No way can I even put the tray table down.

I know someone will say that's what I get for being a fatass, but regardless of the reason, it's just not comfortable.

By the way, the premium economy on Cathay Pacific is like the first class on the domestic flights in the US. It's much less cost than business class, so it might be a good alternative. I can fly that from Cebu all the way home for a little more than PAL Business from Manila to LAX, which still requires me to get to Manila and then from LAX to Florida.

4f4b05e3cfe445e9b2e604d8767f2254-cxyplusheroangledfeetup.jpg

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 4
Thalcoozyo

I worked hard in my business life, I inherited nothing, and I'm sure not about to apologise for being able to fly separate from those whom I have nothing in common with.

You think you are pretty special, don't you?

• Like 1
Skywalker

You think you are pretty special, don't you?

Off topic?

• Like 3
Thalcoozyo

I often just "ask" for a upgrade... and get it. I've occasionally been upgraded for free. Sometimes there's an opportunity to buy an upgrade for $25-$100 additional if there are available seats. For example, on my return trip from Phoenix to Portland last week, I upgraded to first class for $50 more on Alaska Airlines. I once flew around the world First Class on Delta and partner airlines using American Express miles that I was trying to burn through. When I was the buying agent for AT&T Broadband, I use my personal credit card for many purchases and expensed for reimbursement. I racked up over a million miles in under two years.

This may have worked in the past... a decade ago... but it won't work now.  Domestic U.S. flights are consistently 99% full.  International flights, nowadays, will never ever never give an upgrade to to Business or First unless you fork over 1) some serious change, or 2) some serious airmiles from your account.

I fly in my work, logging at least one round trip weekly in the western U.S.  My preferred carrier (Alaska) will upgrade me frequently... due to my standing with them.  No one gets such upgrades just for asking.

Even with a ton of airmiles in my account, I cannot hardly justify cashing them in on business seats. Between myself & the asawa, the difference between 2 coach RT on Cathay vs. 2 business RT on Cathay equals nearly another coach RT ticket.   So we fly coach and like the idea that we are saving enough miles to make 1 more RT at a later time.

Korea charges waaaayyyyyyyy too much (vs Cathay) for a RT... and Korea's seats were quite uncomfortable this spring '14.  Quite uncomfortable.

TheMatrix

This may have worked in the past... a decade ago... but it won't work now.  Domestic U.S. flights are consistently 99% full.  International flights, nowadays, will never ever never give an upgrade to to Business or First unless you fork over 1) some serious change, or 2) some serious airmiles from your account.

I fly in my work, logging at least one round trip weekly in the western U.S.  My preferred carrier (Alaska) will upgrade me frequently... due to my standing with them.  No one gets such upgrades just for asking.

Even with a ton of airmiles in my account, I cannot hardly justify cashing them in on business seats. Between myself & the asawa, the difference between 2 coach RT on Cathay vs. 2 business RT on Cathay equals nearly another coach RT ticket.   So we fly coach and like the idea that we are saving enough miles to make 1 more RT at a later time.

Korea charges waaaayyyyyyyy too much (vs Cathay) for a RT... and Korea's seats were quite uncomfortable this spring '14.  Quite uncomfortable.

Versus a decade ago, I am finding airlines trying to squeeze every penny they can out of each flight.  Whether they are now selling the peanuts or charging for your luggage, I have found the airlines would rather have $200 extra that they wouldn't have otherwise for that empty International business class seat.  If no one has bought the seat, and they're loading the plane, you can ask for it and pay a small sum.  Be sure to smile with your pearly whites!!

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I have found the airlines would rather have $200 extra that they wouldn't have otherwise for that empty International business class seat.

I like when airlines do this. America West, years ago was the first airline I noticed who started offering reasonable business class upgrades at the check-in kiosk. I used to take them out to Vegas all the time and would go early in hopes of getting a $100 upgrade. PAL started it for a while, offering fixed upgrade fees based on availability and it was pretty reasonable. $150 I think to BKK but I didn't notice the sign last time I checked in, so they may have done away with it already. 

Skywalker

International flights, nowadays, will never ever never give an upgrade to to Business or First

That is certainly not my experience.

• Like 2

Some interesting and helpful answers. Thanks.

My last trip over on KAL I thought the leg room was sufficient but I'm only 5'9". My next trip back to the US I'll be traveling with my miniature size wife so I will get half of her seat :)

I've asked for seat upgrades (for a price) to exit row before on long flights but hadn't really thought about asking about an upgrade to sit with the chosen folks. I'd do it for a couple of hundred. I'll also check into the premium economy this time. I wasn't really aware of that .. so obviously I don't fly enough to get free stuff lol

smokey

I fly business class because I can afford it, and I have no issue at all with admitting it.

I don't want to sit in the cheap seats because it's not comfortable, and in all likelihood I will end up sat next to somebody that would happily fall into the euthanasia program.

I worked hard in my business life, I inherited nothing, and I'm sure not about to apologise for being able to fly separate from those whom I have nothing in common with.

and i am happy for you i was thinking of applying for a part time butler gig and will be taking a class on  MUSTARD LIVE IT LOVE IT EMBRASS IT

• Admin (Retired)
broden

i cut my teeth on new york city mass transit 

there is no larger cross section of society.

i always travel as cheap as i can

• Like 1

i cut my teeth on new york city mass transit

there is no larger cross section of society.

i always travel as cheap as i can

Same here. As far as comfort I'm 6'4" and never had any comfort issues. Either way ur stick on for about 14hrs. I always choose the last row on the right with 2 seat. 9 out of 10 times seat is empty. I usually stand for 1^2 the flight and ogle the cute stewardesses. I've seen videos of 1st class and it ain't all that. For $5k usd I'd rather enjoy time with the wife at a nice resort bar
  • Like 1
Scruffydog

Same here. As far as comfort I'm 6'4" and never had any comfort issues. Either way ur stick on for about 14hrs. I always choose the last row on the right with 2 seat. 9 out of 10 times seat is empty. I usually stand for 1^2 the flight and ogle the cute stewardesses. I've seen videos of 1st class and it ain't all that. For $5k usd I'd rather enjoy time with the wife at a nice resort bar

There you go. Who said the back of the plane is the worst. As for getting off the plane. When we got to korea, my wife in typically pinay fashion got into afrenzy to get off the plane. I explained to her. We got a 4 hour layover. Just relax we will get off in 10 mins when we don't have to fight a mob.

• Like 2