Flying Business or First Class

I just read another thread and the poster was describing how he enjoys free munchies and has some drinks in the private lounge while the commoners riding in steerage wait in their cattle pen. So my question is not why, but how do you travel in those pricey seats which seem to be two to three times the amount us poor people pay to ride in the back of the bus? Do you do it with reward miles, company pays so you don't care, or are you just that rich that you can throw money around like that?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LechonBuddha

• Skywalker

• ex231

• Scruffydog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Note to self: Have Matrix upgrade my ticket to "Business Class". 

Not sure how to reply. How can people afford Business or First Class? Some people earn more than others... some work for large companies... it's as simple as that.   I think the cost of First Class

LOL.  The last time I flew First Class, they came around with a crystal dish piled with dinner rolls.  I reached out to grab one and got my hand slapped with the tongs.  (You're supposed to point one

Posted Images

arentol
Do you do it with reward miles, company pays so you don't care, or are you just that rich that you can throw money around like that?

Not sure how to reply. How can people afford Business or First Class? Some people earn more than others... some work for large companies... it's as simple as that.

I think the cost of First Class is excessive to the point of the price outweighing the benefits. But if someone can afford it and they realize benefits, then who am I to judge? More power to them.

I think that Business Class is worth the money for long-haul flights.

Cheers,

Aren

Edited by arentol
  • Like 4

• Like 5

Not sure how to reply. How can people afford Business or First Class? Some people earn more than others... some work for large companies... it's as simple as that.

I think the cost of First Class is excessive to the point of the price outweighing the benefits. But if someone can afford it and they realize benefits, then who am I to judge? More power to them.

I think that Business Class is worth the money for long-haul flights.

Cheers,

Aren

If it's worth it to you, then by all means do it. Personally I  don't see the value in it but that's just my take on it. I have the money to do it but when I ask myself "Do I want to spend $100 an hour for a bigger seat?" I always come up with the same answer. I was just curious how many were actually paying for it and how many were getting a freebie of one sort or another.

Makes sense to me. You are going there on business.

• Like 1

Makes sense to me. You are going there on business.

Nope. Others may call it business, but it isn't. Looking after someone's house for them while they are away, is something I would do for any friend. He isn't paying me to do it. Although, he did pay my airfare. But, that was mainly because I didn't have the funds to spare this trip. I would have gladly paid my own airfare to go there. 

Nope. Others may call it business, but it isn't. Looking after someone's house for them while they are away, is something I would do for any friend. He isn't paying me to do it. Although, he did pay my airfare. But, that was mainly because I didn't have the funds to spare this trip. I would have gladly paid my own airfare to go there. 

OK, I tried to give you some leverage to work with for a seat upgrade but you don't want it .. So fine, sit in the back like the rest of us commoners.

Haven't kept up with all your posts on it, but if nobody has mentioned it you might enjoy a exit row seat for about $50 extra

• Like 1
LechonBuddha

If you're traveling for work and need to hit the ground running then flying business is the only way unless you want to get to your destination via coach a day or two early and have time to recover. 

Flying coach isn't that bad if you plan your flight and carrier. I flew Korean last time and found the seats to be spacious enough. I scheduled a long layover in Inchon and reserved a room in the airport hotel for a decent sleep and shower, arrived in Manila around Noon feeling great. 

• Like 3

At 6'4", coach can be a bummer, esp. now they are strict on exit seats. Have flown business with work and it really is worth it for long haul - mainly due to having the leg room. But if I was a wee fella, I think I could manage with coach.

Premium economy is a great option for commoners too.

Scruffydog

I am a big guy. The first time I went to the PI I flew business on Korean Air I had never been on a 14 hour flight and the thought of being wedged in between two other big people scared me. I was still single and had disposible income.

An Avg econmy ticket ATL-CEB is usally around 1450 or so.

The business class ticket was over 5K. That's a huge huge differance. It was nice with the power seats that recline and all. As for food and service. Not worth it. I mean your flying. Pack some snacks and they seve meals and cokes in econmy. You are paying for the seat.

Now I fly with my wife and it's fine becuse I don't worry about enchroaching on her space. If I ever had to do it again I would probably by two economy seats for 1/2 the price.

As for the Airport lounge. I can use the Prestige class lounge in Korea beucse I have enough miles to be a memebr of some club or another, Morning calm I think.

On our last trip we did not even go to the lounge on the return trip. It's always crowded, usallly the bathrooms are full, the food is just so so.

We actually hung out in the terminal. It was not crowded and we could nap on the benches.

If you go to the end of the terminal and down the esculator,, there is a gate they rarely use. Spotless quiet John for relaxing undissurbed international relief.

liquido

I was one of those guys that in prior life would always fly in tourist but NOT no more because now i feel im worth it to fly business.Makes looking forward to that long flight not as dreadfull..The better food/wine is nice also but any extra added comfort on a long haul is worth it to me.Even the little things like a bigger cr,no lines and the extra personal service that you get.The added plus this time and most always is your one of the first at immigration and your luggage comes off first.Luckily no other planes arrived in Cebu before ours and i was able to get one of the first taxi's at midnight..No fun standing in a long taxi line after a long flight..So YES paying 2 to 3 times more for me is worth it..

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I love business class because of my size, but I've never paid for it.

I had been saving miles for years and was able to get 4 round trip business class from Atlanta to Manila with KAL.

My last trip here I didn't have the miles but was able to get a seat at a door exit where there were only two seats and unlimited leg space. Having a small filipina sitting beside me was also a plus.

So bottom line is I've never been on a flight longer than 5 hours in the middle of the cattle car.

After 5-6 flights recently just to Manila and back, I've come to the conclusion that I couldn't hack it back there on a 14 hour flight. Since my bout with GPS I have some peripheral nerve damage and I get very stiff after a few hours. It's part of the reason I hadn't been able to return to the US in nearly 5 years.

Still no way can I afford $5,000 for one ticket, much less one for each of us. I was ready to splurge ($1700+) for a business class seat with PAL to LAX. From LAX the rest of the way home is a cakewalk and I have enough miles for free flights. So I might be spending $1700 each for the total which is about double what an economy ticket would cost, but I decided to bite the bullet and just do it. Besides I'm selling my multicab and that will cover more than one ticket.

Update though. I found out I have enough miles to fly business class on Cathay Pacific from Cebu to LAX and will still have miles for the free flight from LAX to Orlando. Now I'm just hoping there are actually seats available to use my miles on.

• Like 2
Skywalker

I fly business class because I can afford it, and I have no issue at all with admitting it.

I don't want to sit in the cheap seats because it's not comfortable, and in all likelihood I will end up sat next to somebody that would happily fall into the euthanasia program.

I worked hard in my business life, I inherited nothing, and I'm sure not about to apologise for being able to fly separate from those whom I have nothing in common with.

• Like 3
Scruffydog

I love business class because of my size, but I've never paid for it.

I had been saving miles for years and was able to get 4 round trip business class from Atlanta to Manila with KAL.

My last trip here I didn't have the miles but was able to get a seat at a door exit where there were only two seats and unlimited leg space. Having a small filipina sitting beside me was also a plus.

So bottom line is I've never been on a flight longer than 5 hours in the middle of the cattle car.

After 5-6 flights recently just to Manila and back, I've come to the conclusion that I couldn't hack it back there on a 14 hour flight. Since my bout with GPS I have some peripheral nerve damage and I get very stiff after a few hours. It's part of the reason I hadn't been able to return to the US in nearly 5 years.

Still no way can I afford $5,000 for one ticket, much less one for each of us. I was ready to splurge ($1700+) for a business class seat with PAL to LAX. From LAX the rest of the way home is a cakewalk and I have enough miles for free flights. So I might be spending $1700 each for the total which is about double what an economy ticket would cost, but I decided to bite the bullet and just do it. Besides I'm selling my multicab and that will cover more than one ticket.

Update though. I found out I have enough miles to fly business class on Cathay Pacific from Cebu to LAX and will still have miles for the free flight from LAX to Orlando. Now I'm just hoping there are actually seats available to use my miles on.

Sititng next to a small Pinay is the key. 14 hours in no class is not as bad as you might think. I sit near the back of the plane. It's jsut a short walk back to the 2 cr's and KAL in flight store. I get up about every 1.5 hours and go back there and stretch for 10 mins or so. Like you said, two Business class would be over 10K.

• Like 1
Skywalker

You can't take it with you.

Did you know that when Errol Flynn died he had something like only $13,000 in his bank account.

That is style. 

Though I have no idea if he flew business or first, I somehow doubt he was paying for it himself.

• Like 1