Sign in to follow this  
Mikala

External USB 4 Bay Enclosure Not Recognized

Mikala

I’ve been trying to find an equitable solution to my storage problem. At first I thought to buy some external 2TB USB3.0 Hard drives to store movies, music and data files on. It worked okay when I just had a few movies, lots of music and plenty of data files. I had 2 each of the 2 TB drives.

Then I downloaded over 2,500 movies / videos and loaded up 2 more of the 2 TB drives. I thought I’d just buy an external USB3.0 device and a few 4 TB Western Digital Red hard drives to solve the problem.

First up to bat was the Anker USB3.0 drive that I could temporarily put drives into and then swap them out and put them into an external case. Problem was, when it arrived in Korea, I found out that it worked well with smaller hard drives (2.5 and 3.5 inch), but would not work with a WD Red 4TB hard drive. Supposedly it works with the WD Blue 4TB hard drive.

Anker offered me a full refund though, but I refused it and have since been using it at my work to check out hard drives that have supposedly failed (using my laptop).

Next up to bat was a Mediasonic ProBox HF2-SU3S2 4 Bay 3.5” hard drive enclosure with USB3.0 and eSATA. I plugged in the two 4TB hard drives and USB cables, powered it up and my laptop computer won’t recognize it. My tablet computer also won’t recognize it. Both running Win8.1. I tried the eSATA and same routine. Won’t recognize the external drive at all. I can see the lights flicker and then one of the USB ports has an error on it that I can’t fix. I tried accessing the drive thru DOS commands and Windows. Went to the Disk Management screen in Control Panel, but it was not shown there. I sent a complaint to Amazon and they offered no troubleshooting advice. They simply provided a full refund and paid the shipping costs.

Finally I tried a Vantec NexStart HZX4R with USB3.0, 4 bays and eSATA. They advertised a solution that would allow RAID configuration with upwards of four of the 4TB hard drives. Same routine with the Mediasonic Probox though. My laptop and tablet computers won’t recognize it. Everything powers up normally. Pretty lights flash. All looks normal.

Any advice on how to get this running? After 3 solutions failing, the problem has to be with Win8.1 (I think). I asked some of the company software engineers that came out and all 4 of them denied any advanced knowledge beyond my capabilities.

Maybe I’m expecting too much, but why wouldn’t the device just be plug-and-play?

Note: I'm not using the RAID or even JBOD configurations. Just want to see if the drive will work with 1 or 2 of the 4TB drives first before thinking about RAID.

Edited by Mikala

miles-high

I had similar but slightly different issues with the external devices… the computer will recognize one but not two or more… my guess is that the USB jacks on my computer (I think mine has 8 or 10) do not have sufficient 5V power… I added an external USB3.0 hub with an external 5V power and it seems working OK at the moment… :)

Ronin

Google didn't return any hits for that model...

Is this the model you have?

http://www.vantecusa.com/system/application/media/data_file/nst-640su3-bk_manual.pdf

If so, it's getting long in the tooth, having been available since at least Jan 2012...

Edit: Forgot you're and engineer, that's called a users manual.  Normal people refer to it when they want installation or troubleshooting information for a product :D

Edited by Ronin

Salty Dog

I run all my external USB drives and most other devices through a powered USB hub too. I have an older portable HD that has a dual USB plug so it can get enough power to operate it with out it's own power supply. With the powered hub or my Samsung TV, the drive operates just fine using a single plug.

Mikala

Google didn't return any hits for that model...

Is this the model you have?

http://www.vantecusa.com/system/application/media/data_file/nst-640su3-bk_manual.pdf

If so, it's getting long in the tooth, having been available since at least Jan 2012...

Edit: Forgot you're and engineer, that's called a users manual.  Normal people refer to it when they want installation or troubleshooting information for a product :D

I bought the more recent model. The HX4R (Raid). It has an essentially identical (useless) manual.

I hadn't thought about using a powered USB hub to test it. I guess I can do that tomorrow when I go back to my 2nd apt.

Kim_

Firstly, this post is a bit off topic as it doesn't help you but might be of future interest.

I'm using WD My Cloud: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1140

You connect it to your router. Then access it using the WiFi. No cables from your PC to the HD.

Mine is 3TB and has a USB port where I can connect another harddisc, tried doin that with my 2TB WD and it worked.

I was watching some CBTNuggets, stored on it, while I was in the Philippines and the harddisc here in Sweden.

No problems at all. That way you don't need to carry it along, but ofcourse you need a reliable internet connection.

Mikala

I run all my external USB drives and most other devices through a powered USB hub too. I have an older portable HD that has a dual USB plug so it can get enough power to operate it with out it's own power supply. With the powered hub or my Samsung TV, the drive operates just fine using a single plug.

Tried that over the weekend. Same routine. Computer recognizes an ATA/ATAPI adapter, but that's it. Can't get past that point.

Mikala

That way you don't need to carry it along, but ofcourse you need a reliable internet connection.

The reason for putting it on a hard drive is due to the unreliable internet in Cebu. I wanted to get all movies / music onto the storage device and leave it in Cebu. One of the other engineers wanted a copy too since he's heading to a location with poor internet too (dialup only).

miles-high

Computer recognizes an ATA/ATAPI adapter, but that's it. Can't get past that point.

I tried with a Windows 8.1 tablet - every single device recognized through its USB jack/USB 3.0 hub - it's the MS conspiracy!!! :D

• Like 1

Mikala

I tried with a Windows 8.1 tablet - every single device recognized through its USB jack/USB 3.0 hub - it's the MS conspiracy!!! :D

I tried with my Surface Pro 2 and 3, then my laptop. Looks like I'll just build a NAS from scratch and do it right instead of trying to be a cheapskate.

hookedtothenet

I have a problem with my Seagate expandable drive, I can watch movies that are stored on it fine through the computer, but when I use it through my Samsung TV it stops after 10-20 mins, and you have to keep going back into the main menu and re-starting. After reading this thread I reckon I might need a powered USB hub also. Do you guys think that would solve this issue?
A movie stored on an 8gb usb stick plays fine, no stops. So, I am guessing that it is a power related issue also. Anyone have a similar problem??

Mikala

My solution is going to be building myself a file server (NAS). That way I know exactly what's in it and I can pick and choose the software myself. Yes, it's a much more expensive solution than I had hoped for, but if 3 of these USB Multi-bay RAID storage devices don't work with my laptop / tablets, then there's no point in trying a 4th.