Sign in to follow this  
saulster

Saulster's First Visit

saulster

Well, I had my first PI visit last month, got about a week each in both Manila and Cebu.

Manila

Stayed the first days at the Great Eastern. Large room, much street noise, impossible to sleep in mornings past 6:30 AM. "Business center" equipment quite dirty and poor working order, had to ask for replacement mouse that worked, no paper in printer, etc. They tried to do written add on to final computer printed bill for business center and laundry and totals did not make sense. I insisted on full printed official bill and spent an extra half hour waiting for it. I wonder where the writen extra money was really going to go? Not recommended.

Moved to the Lotus Garden ( Ermita ) and much happier. Smaller room, comfortable. Nice service and attitude. Also visited Slouch Hat for lunch, liked the atmosphere a lot. May try that for accommidations next time. Yes, I know, the "neighborhood" is a bit much. Fine for a visit, not where I would want to live permanantly! Lots of beggers, some bad odors, somewhat offputting, but an interesting and entertaining visit.

Visited Tahl Lake ( volcano inside volcano inside lake ), enjoyed the cooler climate and scenery a lot. It's too bad that the better climate ( cooler ) is hours away from the city life I most enjoy! Driven around, much sightseeing. Didn't care for Manila traffic and air quality much.

As noted in a previous post, I had some difficulties dealing with Cebu Pacific for my flights between Manila and Cebu. If I am headed to Cebu, I may try fly directly in on Singapore Air next time from Los Angeles. Of course, if I want to get back to Manila or visit Angeles City, I am still left with the commuter flights on Cebu Pacific or PAL.....

Cebu

I stayed with a friend ( retired expat ) with a home south of Cebu in the country. Very comfortable and nice conditions, he is settled in with wife, kid, plenty of help ( driver, maid, etc. ). It's not for me, I am more a city person, but enjoyed the visit a lot. Lost power 10 hours when the hurricane / typhoon brushed by to the north, a really hard wind and rain storm was pretty exciting. Good thing I was scheduled to fly out Monday as many flights were still cancelled on Sunday due to the storm!

Toured around, relaxed, saw some potential relocation condos. Better air and a bit less traffic than Manila. Mactan Island had some nice looking places as well as downtown area ( Fuerte, etc. ).

Suggestions along these lines are appreciated! And contacts to visit or show potential RE as well. I saw an Internet site for Zion Cebu RE, anyone know about them or have other recommendations in this area?

------------------------------

I hope to return later this year for a closer look, more dedicated to relocation, not just vacation. I would also like to visit Angeles City awhile, both to evaluate as potential home and enjoy "entertainment".

May not buy at first, probably try rent a larger condo in a newer building and see how things go. I would prefer 1600 sf ( 150 sm ) or perhaps more, I do like my space! I also like my air con so I can expect larger electric bills from what I am reading and my expat friend mentioned. I am single and planning to stay that way so buying a house is probably not possible. Unless I can arrange with leased land under it, etc. Hummm. that still leaves plenty of attractive condos although a house might be a better value and living experience.

Meanwhile, I am researching immigrant vist, moving companies, etc. to have some ideas ahead of time.

Saulster

Lee

Hello Saulster and :lol: to the forum.

You did not say what you wanted or expected to pay, there are a few of us who live in condos in Cebu and each has different ideas on what they like and how much they can afford or want to pay. Here are some condo threads for you to read and make up your own mind. Hope you find some of the info useful.

BTW, you can rent or buy in most condo developments from the owners who wish to rent. My rental unit is already rented long term.

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/inde...ost&p=58017

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/inde...73&hl=condo

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/inde...01&hl=condo

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/inde...ost&p=58441

Good luck and hope to see you in Cebu one day down the road.

Edited by Mr. Lee

CaptainJackson

Off topic posts set invisible.......

Saulster,

Welcome to the forums. Thanks for the trip report.

saulster

Hi and thanks for the reply and information,

I am trying to plan another visit later this year, kind of up in the air for the moment. I'll post here if / when plans solidify.

Saulster