Sign in to follow this  
calasiaobound

Coming to the Philippines for the first time. Advice?

Tin

i take it your post is a demonstration of this phenomenon? who mentioned anything about dangerous?

I should have used a better term. :) My bad.

contraman

Is that anywhere close to Cebu ?

Unless they have moved it it was in Luzon, a long way from Cebu
  • Like 1

jtmwatchbiz

Isn't pangasinan north of manila?

i believe it's a small town past carcar and towards toledo. i do know it's far enough from cebu city that "you can't get there from here" :)

duncan1958

All the replies so far are based around meeting your chosen one.

There are many other things you could be advised on for your first trip .

Have you been anywhere in this part of the world before ??

If not be prepared to see poverty,do NOT let your emotions run away with you ,YOU cant save the world.

How are you with heat/humidity ?

Bring lightweight clothing.

Drink plenty of bottled water.

If you are on any kind of medication bring enough for your stay,I would also bring basic meds like asperin/paracitamol etc.

These are just somethings off the top of my head.

Dont let your heart run away with you.

Have a good search through the forum pages if you have not done so already.

Most of all enjoy the time you have here.

• Like 5

Jawny

I agree the best advice is to read as much of the forum posts about life here as you can. A bit overwhelming, but the reading will generate questions which then can be answered.

Have you been here before? It can make a difference if you've had some experience with the culture. As well, if your friend is from a province that can influence her attitudes about foreigners.

Don't be too surprised if she meets you with a friend or a family member. It's pretty common to have the support of someone trusted during the first hours of meeting someone. Not a chaperone, per se. Just support.

I'd suggest that you have some ideas of what you want to do upon arrival. If there are activities or sights to see, it's a good chance to have that be your "plan".

• Like 1

Tin

Yes I checked that, and it is why I asked, there could be another Pangasinan

Have not heard of another Pangasinan.

maccydee

1st off welcome to the forum. I hope you have been lurking for a while & soaking up some of the knowledge this place has to offer. All the advice so far has been spot on, don't let the family meet you at the airport. Spend time alone with your girl 1st before heading to the family home as living conditions might not be as you would expect. Divide your budget into chunks & don't go above that setting or you will be asking for trouble. Don't come across as a big spender cos that will set a precedent for future dealings with the family.

Most importantly don't rush into things, you have been chatting for a year but this is the 1st date & it's gonna be 24/7 for 2 months. Would you do that back home ? If you're head over heels in love after 2 months then come back home to the cold light of reality. If those feelings are both mutually strong & she is still there for you then get back & take it from there. Cos you may have found a keeper.

Enjoy your new girl, enjoy exploring the country, keep street smart at all times & keep reading here, there is a wealth of information here & it will save you lots of hassle later on.

• Like 5

Tin

If you are just looking for fun then follow the big guys advices, do not let her meet you in the airport and explore ph instead before meeting  her. If you are atleast 85% serious about this woman then give her the chance to prove herself to you but please give yourself  a bit of freedom of getting to know her more before you meet the family. Once you meet them they will form different expectations in their minds and surely they will ask you when are you guys  going to get married.

Edited by Tin
  • Like 3

easy44

The OP has not responded.  Looked like a troll from the start.

• Like 1

ozboy

Yep. Contact her. Tell her your flight has been changed and you will not arrive until ____ days after your previously scheduled flight.

Yes my mate did exactly that cos he planned to meet another girl first in manila on his way to Cebu......careless of him to leave his passport on bed in hotel room where his GF opened it and saw the real entry date......the interrogation started and I quickly exited the room.....

• Like 1

ellenbrook2001

correct please please listen the forum that your first time so you must learn what going on here the good and the bad.

you must meet the girl alone i repeat alone spend a week or more together so you can know if you are okay each other ,you never know maybe shes not what you looking for.

just think in a minute first time for you here wowww the girl very very lucky shes want to keep you  lol.

let say if you do not match,thousand of girls waiting here so no problems to found another one.

unless you are on a very tight  budget do no stay to the family  he wont be private or every time you go out everyone will follow then you have to pay for restaurant etc etc

remember every PHILIPPINA  and her family think all foreigners are millionaire with a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

assuming you found the right girl .please do not rush on an engagement or marriage.,after your first trip back home then you can decide what the best for both  of you.

do not get me wrong PHILIPPINA are fine if you found the real one maybe you are  very lucky to found the real one you are the only one can make that decision

anywhere all the best please keep posted when you arrive and your adventure welcome to the PHILIPPINES

• Like 1

Davaoeno

Yes my mate did exactly that cos he planned to meet another girl first in manila on his way to Cebu......careless of him to leave his passport on bed in hotel room where his GF opened it and saw the real entry date......the interrogation started and I quickly exited the room.....

note to self :  destroy boarding pass and  ticket and hide passport 

Contango

Staying with her and her family for two months...Any advice for a newbie coming to the Philippines?

Don't stay with the family, its a massive over commitment and its awkward and weird.

• Like 8