Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Compression Bomb on my computer?

Paul

I don't think any of these are the compression bomb? 

Screenshot 2014-10-31 14.13.31.jpg

Obviously, AVAST was not doing its job, though.

Cannonball

When I was operating 3 internet cafe's with 75 computers I installed "Deep Freeze" and found it to be bullet proof, you might want to check it out,    

• Like 1

Paul

When I was operating 3 internet cafe's with 75 computers I installed "Deep Freeze" and found it to be bullet proof, you might want to check it out,    

Now that I have looked this up, I have used computers at internet cafes that had that installed. But, I have never used it myself. Apparently, no matter what changes you make to the machine while it is up and running are gone upon reboot. It sets each machine back to a default configuration on each start up. 

Cipro

There is a free alternative called returnil that I've had good luck with, it does the same thing, with the option to commit the changes if you enter proper credentials. 

• Like 1

Cipro

I don't think any of these are the compression bomb? 

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2014-10-31 14.13.31.jpg

Obviously, AVAST was not doing its job, though.

Norton got a bad name when they cut R&D in the post dot-bomb era (2000->) when the product (predictably) turned to shit by around 2004. Since then they have massively upped their R&D budget (new CEO(s)) and it shows. Since 2008 or so it's been back to being pretty top notch. 

• Like 1

Paul

After everything was said and done, Norton Internet Security ended up removing 7 viruses from my computer, each on different drives. 

It may just be me. But, it seems as though it boots faster now. 

Now, to sort out another issue, if I have time before I leave for the US...

Edited by Paul

Paul

Screenshot 2014-11-01 03.23.jpg

broden

removing 7 viruses from my computer

did it get the ebola or not

i used to use norton system tools back in the day to park drives and all that groovie kinda stuff

Paul

did it get the ebola or not

It appears to have gotten them all. I had it scan every drive on the computer. First, C & D (Two partitions on the same drive), an external drive, and finally several SD cards. The only thing left are the flash drives. I will sort them later. 

broden

It appears to have gotten them all. I had it scan every drive on the computer. First, C & D (Two partitions on the same drive), an external drive, and finally several SD cards. The only thing left are the flash drives. I will sort them later. 

shouldn't hurt to give it another run through when your done

• Like 1

Cipro

Most Norton products one buys are actually multi-device licensed, so if you log into Norton Account and register (the AV can step you through it) you might discover you are entitled to 2-4 more installations already. Typically NAV is 1 device, NIS is 3, and N360 would be either 3 or 5. 

• Like 1

Cannonball

Now that I have looked this up, I have used computers at internet cafes that had that installed. But, I have never used it myself. Apparently, no matter what changes you make to the machine while it is up and running are gone upon reboot. It sets each machine back to a default configuration on each start up. 

Yup and it works every time... I partitioned off a"D Drive sector" so they could download, but if they tried to send it to my computer from "D Drive" or a thumb drive it just froze the computer and I was able to get the miscreant on the spot... No Denying it, the Deep freeze saved me countless hours un-fecking my network, that I used to spend so I could open in the morning.... I 100% love that program, if you're clever you can get it for free, but I personally prefer the top line product... I tried the free way and was so impressed I bought the program. Look into the options it will save you allot of grief in the end, Later Brother.

• Like 1