Sign in to follow this  
lthendricks8

Welder, carpenter, day crew

lthendricks8

I had some friends of the wife's family doing work for us on an extension (welding a roof, a little woodwork, some masonry), but they've proven to be prohibitively flaky. 

Does anyone have any solid recommendations for reliable, fast, reasonably priced (asking a lot, I know) welders/laborers that I can avail myself of? 

I have an arc welder and all the materials already, obviously - just need the labor. 

Please do PM me if you have any recommendations - thanks!!

D_D

Where is the location ?

Per diem ?

Fringe benefits ?

• Like 1

lthendricks8

Where is the location ?

Per diem ?

Fringe benefits ?

Der, sorry, guess that's important, haha.

I (and the work) am in Mandaue City. 

I was paying my four guys 1350PHP before (400, 400, 300, and 250 for the welder, carpenter, mason, and assistant, respectively).  Would like to keep it around the same amount per person, but would be willing to pay more people to get the job done sooner.

As far as benefits go, my in-laws are very prompt when it comes to refilling your water if you're working outside in the heat, so there's that ...

Humboldt

I know a Filipino contractor just across the bridge from you  

if you willing to pay pakyaw he will bid the job ,, his English is great

My hourly worker's I would always give snacks ,  bread ,  tang or coffee 10 am 3 pm

and on Saturday payday I buy a  few bottles of Rum and Coke ,,,

• Like 2

TheMatrix

I suspect your daily rates might be too low.  The minimum wage is 340p per day, and that wage is usually reserved for unskilled entry level positions.  You're trying to get skilled trades people for under the legal limit.  Not sure if it can be done, but I don't think you will get quality workers at that rate.  It is my opinion that unless you were offering long term work, you need to almost double the pay for your short time gigs.   

My two centavos.

• Like 1

Ronin

I know a Filipino contractor just across the bridge from you  

if you willing to pay pakyaw he will bid the job ,, his English is great

My hourly worker's I would always give snacks ,  bread ,  tang or coffee 10 am 3 pm

and on Saturday payday I buy a  few bottles of Rum and Coke ,,,

Pakyaw means all inclusive price (just recently learned this myself).

I think it's the best way to go, expecially if the work is good.

You may pay a little more but the works are rewarded for getting the job done instead of being rewarded for prolonging the completion.

• Like 1

oztony
It is my opinion that unless you were offering long term work, you need to almost double the pay for your short time gigs.

500 PHP /day should get you competent tradesmen in Cebu , but if you have people on day rate you need to supply morning tea and afternoon snacks also ,

generally they will have their own lunch , I tend to provide all their meals and tanduay at days end , the better you treat , the more you get ,

but sometimes you just may need to change crews as you are doing , even just 1 experienced , good guy makes all the difference especially if you are unable to give direction yourself .

Would you work for $10 a day , if you were good at what you do ? These guy's you have had may not be top class and are just providing minimum effort , conducive to your wage structure.

You will most definitely benefit from adjusting your pay schedule along with your workers , 4 workers in total , $2:50 per worker , = $10 /day , this increase may solve your frustrations.

How hard would you work on minimum ?

For ten bucks a day you will become more happy about the whole thing also , perspective amigo ,

Edited by oztony

easy44

My observation is paying much more than the going rate will not insure either better quality work or faster completion.  In fact, often it results in just the opposite.  The key is finding the right workers, not trying to raise the bar on the ones you have.  The workers will work consistent with their work ethic and skill level.  If a guy really thinks his skills demand higher pay, he will be up front about that to begin with.  There is a lot of competition for construction workers in today's market and the best workers usually have steady work through established contractors.  Throwing money at the guys will accomplish nothing except to make your project more expensive.

Edited by easy44
  • Like 3

oztony

12 years of building in the Philippines , and 30 years of building in Australia have proved the old adage , you pay peanuts you get monkeys to be more than true.

The key is definitely finding the right workers , and you won't do that paying minimum wage.

And paying someone what they are worth is not throwing money at guy's , it is paying them simply that,  what they are worth.

Matrix's version of double is unrealistic , but a lot of guy's also take on work for a low rate when they currently have nothing else

and then adjust their speed to suit the wage , being a commercial building foreman for many years I have seen it all,

But being able to build a house on my own , starting with an empty block of dirt with a few surveyor's pegs, to finish gives me the ability to read people in regards to building.

And a project becomes a lot more expensive by engaging in the lower end of the tradesmen category , with mistakes and slowness .

Assuming you are dealing with competent tradesmen ,the biggest key to it all is having all your guy's onside , and you won't get that on minimum wage , not in my 30 years of doing it anyway.

• Like 5

easy44

12 years of building in the Philippines , and 30 years of building in Australia have proved the old adage , you pay peanuts you get monkeys to be more than true.

The key is definitely finding the right workers , and you won't do that paying minimum wage.

And paying someone what they are worth is not throwing money at guy's , it is paying them simply that,  what they are worth.

Matrix's version of double is unrealistic , but a lot of guy's also take on work for a low rate when they currently have nothing else

and then adjust their speed to suit the wage , being a commercial building foreman for many years I have seen it all,

But being able to build a house on my own , starting with an empty block of dirt with a few surveyor's pegs, to finish gives me the ability to read people in regards to building.

And a project becomes a lot more expensive by engaging in the lower end of the tradesmen category , with mistakes and slowness .

Assuming you are dealing with competent tradesmen ,the biggest key to it all is having all your guy's onside , and you won't get that on minimum wage , not in my 30 years of doing it anyway.

Never said pay minimum.  I said don't need to pay much more than the going rate.  The going rate for a skilled, competent tradesman will be more than the average carpenter.  The problem is identifying them upfront.  With all your experience you likely don't have that problem.  Most others here would, including the OP.  Why don't you give him some referrals?

• Like 2

Jawny

If you can't get names of workers from members, try asking at a work site nearby or at a building supplier. Of course, there is a significant risk of getting marginally skilled workers, just someone's uncle.

I never provide snacks but rather pay a slightly higher wage than others in the area.

If you hire a contractor, unless you are certain of his credentials, you may end up with just overpriced work. I've had a contractor who stiffed his workers, hired his relatives and cheated me on quality of materials. He had been recommended to me a by a relative.

Much of the work I have done here requires skilled labor, but in reality, it is more of an OJT process. Since the work I have done is similar to what you've described, I can oversee the process enough to know when the "skills" are not really present. I had a skills guy once doing some really good cement patching. He was fast and made really smooth work. I made the mistake of assuming he could do more than patching and had him build a small counter area for a stove in the dirty kitchen. It cost me a day of labor, some cement and hollow block when we tore down his work. He was good at patching but couldn't make a right angle wall.

As far as wages, I can't comment on what is paid in the metro areas. In the province where I'm at the daily amount is less than the big city guys. I always pay a bit more, but avoid getting too generous as that can be a significant problem when a large job is needed. I've had dykes built and employed 20 to 30 people at a time. That can add up real fast if the job takes too long.

I've also always hired relatives and they also serve as watchdogs. There are many workers, on a large project especially, who will slow down when we walk away from the work site.

oztony

Never said pay minimum.  I said don't need to pay much more than the going rate.  The going rate for a skilled, competent tradesman will be more than the average carpenter.  The problem is identifying them upfront.  With all your experience you likely don't have that problem.  Most others here would, including the OP.  Why don't you give him some referrals?

If he was on Negros , I could assist him with an excellent team of guy's that do actually work very diligently and are extremely competent , for 400 php / day , I would assume that Cebu would be a slightly higher rate for the same calibre of tradesmen, wish I could help out, so the OP could be content with knowing the right product was going to be delivered at a fair price , my best guy there would more than likely replace 2 of his current workers on his own. I agree the problem is identifying who is worth what , which is an unknown unless you have seen their prior work , all I know is I pay my guy's 400php/day and we are in the province , Tanjay, I would think that rate would be bottom starting point in Cebu , surely there are some Cebu members that can help with a reference to a reliable crew .

easy44

If he was on Negros , I could assist him with an excellent team of guy's that do actually work very diligently and are extremely competent , for 400 php / day , I would assume that Cebu would be a slightly higher rate for the same calibre of tradesmen, wish I could help out, so the OP could be content with knowing the right product was going to be delivered at a fair price , my best guy there would more than likely replace 2 of his current workers on his own. I agree the problem is identifying who is worth what , which is an unknown unless you have seen their prior work , all I know is I pay my guy's 400php/day and we are in the province , Tanjay, I would think that rate would be bottom starting point in Cebu , surely there are some Cebu members that can help with a reference to a reliable crew .

Yeah, skilled guys work for 350 out here in the Leyte boonies, but of course that has no relevance to Cebu. Luckily my gf's brother is decent all around for a local, but even he is not up to western standards, by a long shot. Anyone with very good skills has departed for Cebu or Manila long ago.

• Like 2

TheMatrix

I didn't say double.  I said almost double. 

Since the good skilled workers are already working on all the high rise projects in the City at wages of 500 (and more) per day, I think you have to increase to 700 for your welder and carpenter, per day, to pull them towards a short time gig.  If you were able to offer them permanent work, 500 per day would be okay.  If I were given a chance to work on a high rise project for 500 per day for the next 2-3 years versus 700 per day for the next 2-3 months, I would probably go with the high rise project. 

Here's the minimum wage for your unskilled entry-level workers:

minimumwage.gif

Edited by TheMatrix

shadow

I didn't say double.  I said almost double. 

Since the good skilled workers are already working on all the high rise projects in the City at wages of 500 (and more) per day, I think you have to increase to 700 for your welder and carpenter, per day, to pull them towards a short time gig.  If you were able to offer them permanent work, 500 per day would be okay.  If I were given a chance to work on a high rise project for 500 per day for the next 2-3 years versus 700 per day for the next 2-3 months, I would probably go with the high rise project. 

Yeah, but you're not Filipino. Sometimes it's all about today!

I've been on both sides of the spectrum here. I've had guys that quit coming to work within days of getting a P100 per day raise. I've had guys that as soon as you compliment them on their work, turn into the most absolute shit employee you could have. There are times when paying them too much (being too soft) sends the wrong message, and blows up right in your face.

We generally pay a little over the going rate for the area, and try to give benefits. Sometimes we get acceptable help, sometimes not so much...

• Like 3