Sign in to follow this  
Sunflower1

Change of Address Report to Embassy

Sunflower1

Hi All,

I am here in Philippines for about a month now and I want to report my change of address. I wonder if I can do it at US Embassy Cebu. And I wonder if it is one of the services they offer. Has anybody experienced it here? Your replies is highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Monsoon

Hi All,

I am here in Philippines for about a month now and I want to report my change of address. I wonder if I can do it at US Embassy Cebu. And I wonder if it is one of the services they offer. Has anybody experienced it here? Your replies is highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Change your address? 

You mean register with STEP? You don't need to go anywhere for that, you can do it online. 

There is no embassy in Cebu. There is a part time consular office. 

• Like 2

Paul

The embassy has American Citizen Services that will provide you with most needs concerning your stay abroad. That is who would be contacted regarding your change of address. However, if you receive Social Security, you need to make sure you notify them directly, just to make sure they have been informed. 

Please post topics in their appropriate forums. I will move this to the Embassy forum now. 

• Like 1

Jawny

Sunflower, are you wanting to report a change of address for some specific purpose?

• Like 1

Sunflower1

Sunflower, are you wanting to report a change of address for some specific purpose?

As what the SSA website says that when you are out of the country for more than a month, you have to report any changes like change of address. I just don't have any idea which is the quickest way to report the change of address, esp. in receiving social security...

Lee

SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION

Social Security Administration

United States Embassy

1201 Roxas Blvd., Ermita

0930 Manila, Philippines

Contact Information:

Phone: (632) 301-2000 ext. 9

Fax: (632) 708-9723 and (632) 708-9714

E-mail: [email protected]

NOSOCALPINOY

Hi All,

Thank you in advance.

Sunflower1,

If you are returning to the U.S. why bother changing your address as long you can access your money via ATMs, unless you have SSI and certain SSD pensions, which has a cutoff date of benefits outside of the U.S,  but with SSA no! Are you still in the Philippines? If you're just on vacation and not planning to make the Philippines your permanent residence, you could have just logged in to the U.S. State Department website to let them know of your whereabouts just in case of an emergency while traveling.  https://step.state.gov/step/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://finance.zacks.com/social-security-benefits-citizens-living-abroad-2527.html

Social Security Benefits for Citizens Living Abroad

The Six-Month Rule

Social Security considers beneficiaries to be living abroad when they spend more than 30 consecutive days outside the United States or its territories, including Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Marianas Islands, American Samoa and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The agency will send your benefits to a foreign address, but if you live abroad for more than six months, you will not be eligible for benefits in certain countries unless you fall into one of several restricted categories. If you return to the United States and stay for at least 30 days, then Social Security considers you to be living in the United States once again.

Prohibited Countries

Federal law, and restrictions placed on U.S. Treasury payments, mean you cannot be paid Social Security benefits in Cuba or North Korea. If you live in either country, you must have your benefits sent to a U.S. address, or to a foreign country where Treasury is permitted to send payments. You may appoint a representative payee to handle the payments on your behalf. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you may not receive Social Security benefits for any month in which you reside in Cuba or North Korea.

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY

Joel

As what the SSA website says that when you are out of the country for more than a month, you have to report any changes like change of address. I just don't have any idea which is the quickest way to report the change of address, esp. in receiving social security...

If the checks are not changing where they are going , I would not notify anybody.