Sign in to follow this  
Pman

Learn to dive in RP?

Monsoon

I wondered about this too, I thought you had to have "dips" in open water to get your certificate.

In this context, "Open water" means water with unobstructed access to the surface...

SkyMan

and simply apply for a PH license.
Is that like an express lane fee?  No need for any PH license.  Class A license is good anywhere and from any instruction school, all are honored, PADI SSI, YMCA, etc.

In this context, "Open water" means water with unobstructed access to the surface...
I think you mean unobstructed access to the sea?  Open Water means salt water and not a salt water pool.  An uncontrolled area though it can be within a bay or an roped off from boating etc.  Beginners are always required to have unobstructed access to the surface.  

Put

Another

Dollar

In

There are other schools and some cheaper even with better instruction.  PADI is in the business of dive instruction.  Others less so.  But by agreement, all certifications are honored by all the schools.  For example, my OW was through the YMCA I think.  Most of my specialty courses were through SSI but my Rescue Diver course was PADI.  Then my Advanced Diver and Master Diver ratings were though SSI.  Mostly due to economic and or timing reasons.  For example, PADI generally had a schedule for the specialty courses to be run maybe the first weekend every other month.  Whereas with SSI I could buy the book/DVD package for the course and bang out a few lessons at home, then call and schedule for a review of those lessons with an instructor.  Do that twice and you were done save for any checkout dives like Nitrox, or wreck diving.  

PMan you didn't mention if moving here or vacationing but if vacationing I would definitely get certified before coming.  Why waste you vacation time in training.  If you're moving here I would still recommend training in the US first because I think they are harder on the instructor there as far as covering all the standards and procedures.  Here they do a good job but there really isn't someone around to watch over them.  And if you can gt the full course $200 I think you'd be hard pressed to find that here.  I think most places are running close to $350+

There's an advantage to learning in a fresh water pool too.  It's shocking enough taking your mask off the first time in fresh water let alone salt.  You'll be borderline panicked enough the first time in fresh water you don't need other distractions.

• Like 1

Monsoon

I think you mean unobstructed access to the sea?  Open Water means salt water and not a salt water pool.  An uncontrolled area though it can be within a bay or an roped off from boating etc.  Beginners are always required to have unobstructed access to the surface.  

Instead of arguing with me about everything, which seems to be your latest pastime, I think you should ask 10 professional divers specifically what the definition of 'Open Water'  in the context of a PADI open water dive certification means and then come back to us. The most critical component of that is unobstructed surface diving conditions. 

LOL. Since when does an open water certification need to be in a salt water anything? Instead of giving this guy some basic info so he can make a decision you'll have him worried because there is no salt in the pool at the Y. 

• Like 1

thebob

Instead of arguing with me about everything, which seems to be your latest pastime, I think you should ask 10 professional divers specifically what the definition of 'Open Water'  in the context of a PADI open water dive certification means and then come back to us.

Open Water as opposed to "confined water". It just means open to a large body of water.

I'm a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor.

I would just go to Moalboal and get your certification there. The training is fun so it is a good thing to do on holiday.

• Like 1

Monsoon
Open Water as opposed to "confined water". It just means open to a large body of water.

I will concede you are right on that Bob. But I have also been told that "Open Water" means an unobstructed means of egress to the surface. 

After all doesn't PADI drive home the fact during OW course you should never be in any condition which restricts your ability to surface? It seems they have no buzz word for that in ISO 24801, - but as it was explained to  me that is 'open water' just as much as open water is a large body of water larger than a swimming pool. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1

thebob

I will concede you are right on that Bob. But I have also been told that "Open Water" means an unobstructed means of egress to the surface. 

That is a requirement, but the strict definitions of open and confined water are legal ones that must be kept to for insurance reasons.

So called confined water training is often conducted in the sea in "pool like" conditions. Some pools are salt water, and lots of advanced diving goes on in fresh water, that has nothing to do with the term.

Diving in an "overhead environment" , for example under ice or in caves, is a very advanced technique, and lots of procedures are necessary.

SkyMan
I will concede you are right on that Bob

Thanks but I'm not Bob.  

Right and my bad, it could be fresh water but around here it would be more work to find a large enough fresh water body.  

After all doesn't PADI drive home the fact during OW course you should never be in any condition which restricts your ability to surface?

That's true, with only an open water card one should stay out of covered waters.  Don't enter caves or ships, go under coral overhangs or even under docks.  Even after taking the cave or wreck diver courses one should use extreme caution.

Edited by SkyMan

Pman

The price 200$ US is a subsidized price I guess you could say. I pay 68/month every month to the YMCA for family membership. Non members its much higher.

Only other price I heard was 350$... if that is what it will run in RP I guess I really should take the course here. 

duncan1958

PADI offer eLearning for the theory side of things,this is done online after signing up for said course,by doing the eLearning online this would free up your vacation time as this can be done at your pace before you leave for vacation.

The Open water certification consists of five confined water training sessions,which as mentioned previously here can be done in the sea in at first shallow water which by when you stand up your head is above the water then progressing to water a little deeper but able to gain access to the surface easily, the conditions must be of pool like as in calm and have good vizability.

The confined sessions are followed by four dives these must not be done in a pool but the sea or lake ,depending on location.

PADI did at one time have a certification for what is termed controlled water enviroment,where by the holder of said card could not dive in Open water only in lakes and such ,then if that person wanted to dive in the sea they had to carry out the four Open water dives in the sea,this card I believe was dropped/discontinued some while back. 

Only three dives can be done on any one day,for instance dives one and two one one day then the remaining dives on another.

The term Open water means any body of water where by the diver has unristricted access to the surface.

And once certified one is able to dive to 18mtrs with other qualified divers of similar level of training or above.

For a foot note PADI also offer their Scuba diver course,which is a part of the Open water course ,in as being  only the first three training sessions and the first two Open water dives,you would however only be certified to dive to 12 mtrs and would have to the dive with a Divemaster or instructor.

There are more than one way to enjoy diving gaining certification each country has its own training body PADI it would seem is the more regognized globle brade (if thats the right term) 

I would not say one is better than the other,it comes down to the instructor at the end of the day !

I have seen some truely bad divers from most training bodies over the years,even some instuctors believe it or not.

Who am I ?

Well I  had at one time my own dive centre and have taught many people to dive safely and enjoy themselves while doing so.

thebob

The term Open water means any body of water where by the diver has unristricted access to the surface.

The term "Open Water" in a PADI context is a matter of supervision. A PADI diver is certified to dive under direct supervision in conditions approximating those in a pool.

An Open Water Diver, is certified to dive "unsupervised" in conditions equivalent to those where training was conducted.

By unrestricted access to the surface you could mean either physical or physiological restrictions. Certain dive profiles do not allow "direct unrestricted" ascent to the surface, but these are covered in the Advanced Open Water course.