Sign in to follow this  
Pman

Learn to dive in RP?

Pman

The YMCA offers diving classes and I've been thinking of taking them.

Is it better/cheaper to learn in RP or to learn here then goto the Philippines?

jtmwatchbiz

learn and get your license in the USA so you will know the basic rules and knowledge to be a decent driver for the rest of your life, then come here and simply apply for a PH license. this way once here, you can join in the roadway circus knowing you and everyone else are doing it the wrong way.

• Like 1

jigsy

Diver not driver?

Enuff

Are we still talking about watersports?

• Like 1

bmoore

Same would apply to diving. It is cheaper in Cebu but the quality of instruction varies widely and there is often a pretty wild current for a beginner. The good part would be you do not need a wetsuit in Cebu.

• Like 1

hyaku

Lots of dive shops here are operated by foreigners. Quality instruction and cheaper courses. A nice way to learn and enjoy the climate. I have done courses in Malaysia, Thailand and here with Swedish, Swiss and German instructors up to divemaster.

• Like 3

Headshot

The YMCA offers diving classes and I've been thinking of taking them.

Is it better/cheaper to learn in RP or to learn here then goto the Philippines?

I will give you a recommendation for a dive instructor. He is an Israeli living and working here on Cebu, and speaks perfect English, so you will have no problem communicating. He teaches mostly foreigners who come here specifically for diver certification (of various types and levels). I have known a lot of dive masters and dive instructors in my life, and I would put him in the top three I have ever known. He operates out of his house near Ayala Mall, but he has partial interest in a shop on Mactan and does all practice dives (including basic instruction) in the ocean near Plantation Bay Resort on Mactan. There are no pool dives. Buoyancy is different in freshwater and saltwater, so by doing the instruction in saltwater, you save the step of having to adjust your buoyancy compensation when you go from a freshwater pool to the saltwater ocean.

Saar Kara

0915 568 3722

[email protected]

Tell him Bill recommended him to you. I have no connection with his business, and get no compensation from this. I have dove with him many times, and I know that he is honest, reliable and thorough. You will get excellent instruction. Of course, whether or not you get certified depends on you. He is also a really nice guy, and he will work with you however he can.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Rocketman

I too used Saar based on headshot's recommendation.  The course was private and he did a fine job.  Probably cheaper to go with him.  His bedside manner was lacking a few times, but overall, I'd recommend him.

• Like 2

Pman

The course at the YMCA here is 200, I should have stated this. so 200x44= 8800 pesos.

I hear you about the learning in Salt Water might be better, I had wondered about that too... 

Monsoon

The course at the YMCA here is 200, I should have stated this. so 200x44= 8800 pesos.

I hear you about the learning in Salt Water might be better, I had wondered about that too... 

$200 for what? PADI? Open Water? 

All equipment included? 

One thing I liked about learning here is you were in the water after maybe a half a day in the pool. Afterall, you aren't going to be diving much in a pool...

Diving itself is cheaper in the Philippines than anywhere else I've been. Better service too. WHen I dive elsewhere I sometimes forget and just go walking off the boat leaving all my stuff behind. I often get private boat and DMs when I go diving here, when with another couple or two its a no brainer. I enjoy diving here far more than other places I've been. So many choices and diverse types. Whether it be muck diving, shallow reef diving, wreck diving, you can find it all here around the Philippines. And world class. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 2

Pman

$200 for what? PADI? Open Water? 

All equipment included? 

One thing I liked about learning here is you were in the water after maybe a half a day in the pool. Afterall, you aren't going to be diving much in a pool...

Diving itself is cheaper in the Philippines than anywhere else I've been. Better service too. WHen I dive elsewhere I sometimes forget and just go walking off the boat leaving all my stuff behind. I often get private boat and DMs when I go diving here, when with another couple or two its a no brainer. I enjoy diving here far more than other places I've been. So many choices and diverse types. Whether it be muck diving, shallow reef diving, wreck diving, you can find it all here around the Philippines. And world class. 

I think they provide the equipment, it is just for use in class. And it is a month or two of Sunday evenings sessions.

I don't know what difference is in PADI and open water, let me find a link to the class...

SCUBA Certification

SCUBA diving Certification. This is a 5-week course that leads to a P.A.D.I. Open WATER SCUBA Diving Certification. The 3-hour session consists of classroom and pool sessions. All materials are provided during the scheduled class times.

link: http://www.ymcacky.org/main/certification-and-training/

How about sharks? See any of those in this world class diving? I'm not afraid of much but sharks and jellies scare me.

Monsoon

SCUBA Certification SCUBA diving Certification. This is a 5-week course that leads to a P.A.D.I. Open WATER SCUBA Diving Certification. The 3-hour session consists of classroom and pool sessions. All materials are provided during the scheduled class times.

Yea so its PADI open water. That's what you'll likely find here at 90%+ of the dive resorts / shops. 

If you have the time and want to hit the ground running here, I would say go for it. 

Me personally, I would lose my attention span doing something that takes a few days over 5 weeks. 

But no education can hurt. I would say go for it if it suits you. 

How about sharks? See any of those in this world class diving? I'm not afraid of much but sharks and jellies scare me.

One of the places I go to has a reef pool with a few sharks in it. They are very shy. If you can catch them you are aquaman. 

• Like 1

Skywalker

I did my Open Water certification in the red sea.

Supposed to be a 5 day course, but there was only 2 of us, and the instructor realised we were smart, so he condensed it into 3 days.

Sharm el Sheikh.  October 2005.

PADI is computerised now, so even if you don't have your card, they can find you on the web site.

hyaku

Sharks? They are everywhere if you dive deep enough.

For open water its just a couple of dips. The course "should" be done in a pool with two open water dives.

• Like 1

Pman

Sharks? They are everywhere if you dive deep enough.

For open water its just a couple of dips. The course "should" be done in a pool with two open water dives.

I wondered about this too, I thought you had to have "dips" in open water to get your certificate.