tuba

BossHog

post-5791-0-73563000-1413846905_thumb.jpg

discuss

• Like 2

battleborn

Never tried it.

Jsteam

Nice, reminds me of the OP ginger beer I use to make as a kid. Not surprising really if you understand the natural yeasts that create both! :drink:

big RB

Have drank it at times. It goes best after a few liters of Red horse, and /or some rum. Usually drank room temp, ice does not help it. Quality can very from bad to very nasty. Best I ever had was on the ferry from Manila to Dumaguete, and was brought on board by a guy headed to Mindanao, who wanted to kill me before we ended up friends.  

• Like 1

easy44

Have tried it several times and decided I will drink almost anything else first.  Definitely an acquired taste, one I likely won't be acquiring!

• Like 2

Tin

Grandpa makes his own vinegar and Tuba  from our coconuts. It is actually sweet on the day of harvest, then he separates the amount for suka/vinegar to the amount of Tuba he could drink on that day. He stores the one for Vinegar without adding anything on it and it starts to become sour on its own after a few days. He puts grounded   " tungog" on the amount of supppose to be for Tuba and I think it gives it the bitter taste and the color red. He then filters it to remove the "tungong". I like the fresh harvest it taste nothing but sweet and does not leave  a bad breath unlike the one with tungog.

• Like 3

Humboldt

Bahalina that's the tasty stuff ,,,from  Palo- Leyte  ,,,,suppose to be like a health drink ..

Edited by Humboldt
  • Like 1

Canuck Joe

yucky kaayo!

philuk

Tried it once,   Tasted like someone had drunk it once and threw it back up,

• Like 5

easy44

Tried it once,   Tasted like someone had drunk it once and threw it back up,

Exactly

angbumabasa

Almost each Bgy here has it's own local supplier. Tuba up on the road tastes different then tuba back in the neighborhood. I prefer it by itself (tastes somewhat flat, but I'm an old straight vodka drinker so what do I know) but the rest of the family mix it with Pepsi, NOT Coca Cola. I started making bahalina once but got side tracked. The supplier back in the neighborhood also supplies bahalina. Let the tuba sit for days until there is a visible layer of crap at the bottom. They make it with multiple siphons from the containers, always leaving settled crap at the bottom. Takes time due to all the settling times. Keep out of direct sunlight. Use clear glass not plastic. The final result is clear, and mild. Now the next trick is aging. I've been told that this is where the first timer screws up. Been informed that excellent bahalina can be as old as five years. Always wanted to experiment some more, but tuba at P200/gallon, just doesn't last very long around here. 

• Like 3

dHb

Grandpa makes his own vinegar and Tuba  from our coconuts. It is actually sweet on the day of harvest, then he separates the amount for suka/vinegar to the amount of Tuba he could drink on that day. He stores the one for Vinegar without adding anything on it and it starts to become sour on its own after a few days. He puts grounded   " tungog" on the amount of supppose to be for Tuba and I think it gives it the bitter taste and the color red. He then filters it to remove the "tungong". I like the fresh harvest it taste nothing but sweet and does not leave  a bad breath unlike the one with tungog.

Yes, the fresh harvest is "pure" (other than making sure bees are not in it cause they love the sap) and coco sugar is made from it. I don't know why the red color or "tungong" is added because it spoils the taste IMO.

Edit: It can be distilled into stronger stuff - I forget the name for it  Lambanog?

Edited by dHb
  • Like 1

Tin

Lambanog?

Yes, Lambanog. You got that right.

angbumabasa

Yes, the fresh harvest is "pure" (other than making sure bees are not in it cause they love the sap) and coco sugar is made from it. I don't know why the red color or "tungong" is added because it spoils the taste IMO.

Edit: It can be distilled into stronger stuff - I forget the name for it  Lambanog?

Lambanoag (sp?) I believe is different, and commercially available in NCR. Bought some. Drank some. Makes gasoline taste good. Even makes drinking 151proof rum straight a pleasure. Couldn't mix it with anything. I think I used it to clean out the toilet bowl. 

mikewright

Tuba's OK, but only when the bahalina runs out. I prefer the aged tuba, one that has matured for 24 hours. For some reason it tastes better when drunk out of a jar, but like a Guinness, it doesn't travel well. Has reputed medical qualities, including laxative effects.  Can you still buy a jerrycan full for about 200 pesos?

But you can't beat a good vintage bahalina. Not only tastes great, but is also good for tie dying shirts, or changing the colour of marble floors.

Funnily enough, the best lambanog I ever tasted was in Australia. Some friends opened a bottle, put in some saltanas, and resealed the bottle, and left it in a cupboard for about 10 years. Seriously, one of the smoothest spirits I've ever tasted.

• Like 2