Travel from Cebu city to Southern Leyte

mydogbitjesus

Headshot

Bring a few cheap ball caps or t-shirts with US university or pro team emblems on them. Sometimes looking around here, you would think that half of the male population has been to the US by the sports clothes they are wearing, so you know that will be popular with the guys (of all ages). Only worry about immediate family (and grandparents if they are still alive). If you want something for any extended family, just give your GF a bunch of miniature chocolate bars (Hershey's are fine) to hand out.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mydogbitjesus

• Faktor

• Headshot

• angbumabasa

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

P, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you are coming to the Philippines more to see your GF than to see the country. If so, and she is willing to stay with you in resorts, then you are

For you language buffs.. this is one of the very few English words with Filipino roots.

You'll be fine. On this forum there are "city" people and "province" people. You are headed to where the "city people" consider to be the province, many of them are a bit paranoid about the boondocks.

to_dave007

There will almost certainly be a big dinner so that everyone can meet you. You might have to pitch in.. Discuss how much with your girl before you go. In all likelihood a pig will die in your honour.

BossHog

BossHog, not sure if I'd want to go drinking with you

i know a whole lotta people who would agree with you there, lol..

have a great trip

southern leyte has some beautiful nature and people.

• Like 3
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon
and am getting the impression that the average westerner needs to keep quite vigilant at all times while travelling about in the Philippines, more so than other holiday destinations?

Travelling around the Visayas as a tourist is pretty safe. You do have to watch out for falling coconuts however. Those things can kill you. 

Seriously most foreigners who end up dead in the Visayas were doing something other than tourism, or invite it on themselves by driving a scooter drunk, screwing someone's girlfriend/wife or not doing enough Hail Mary's before taking a Ceres bus.

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 4
thebob

ha ha.. got a bit off track for a while there but good banter and information all around Thanks Faktor, Headshot, Ang and Dave007. Great insights for me. BossHog, not sure if I'd want to go drinking with you

You'll be fine. On this forum there are "city" people and "province" people. You are headed to where the "city people" consider to be the province, many of them are a bit paranoid about the boondocks. 

You'll be fine, just bring an open mind and a sense of humour and play it by ear.

• Like 4
shadow

You'll be fine, just bring an open mind and a sense of humour and play it by ear.

I'm with Bob! I've spent most of my 10+ years living here in the boondocks. The only times I've felt the least bit threatened was when i was in the cities.

• Like 1
to_dave007

.. the boondocks.

For you language buffs.. this is one of the very few English words with Filipino roots.

• Like 4
Thalcoozyo

I've spent most of my 10+ years living here in the boondocks. The only times I've felt the least bit threatened was when i was in the cities

Absolutely... I'm based in Hinunangan, at the end of the road (so to speak), in some of the most vast, fertile, rice fields in the Phils.  I am, indeed, in the boondocks.  And absolutely it is true that we (family) all feel much safer here than in the city. When we go to Tacloban and Cebu our stress levels triple, and we are constantly on guard for the pickpockets, scammers, cheaters, bums, etc. We are always glad to get home where we can relax "in the boondocks."  This forum is, overwhelmingly, dominated by city-folk who do not understand life in the provinces.

To the OP... don't mean to be crude... but if the occasion arises, be sure you have the "proper protection" (condoms) with you. Where I'm at, they are available but are in limited supply and are somewhat expensive (compared to what I bring from the States).

• Like 2
mydogbitjesus

Well, she's not said anything about extra presents other than telling me about the kind of chocolates they like after I asked. 'Just enjoy the moment' is her response.

Thanks for all the other information..... 'Thalcoozyo' :not_see:  

• 1 month later...
mydogbitjesus

Ok, so I got back a few weeks ago and have had it in the front of my mind to reply as so many of you gave great advice before I left.

Yeah, there isn't anything too drastic regarding safety in Cebu itself that I came across that wouldn't relate to any large urban centre. Except that it's a bit third world and what that usually entails with regard to beggars etc. eyes open and hopefully don't wander into the wrong part of town, although my excellent tour guide was always at hand.

Had a magic few days in the resort on Mactan island, weather was perfect, just like the company ;) even got to let off some guns.

Had uneventful ferry crossings to Southern Leyte, although I could see if it was rough I would be wondering whether it was the best idea getting in one of those boats. Did find life jackets under my bunk. The idea of having a prayer rather than a safety briefing before casting off caught my attention.

The family in the hometown were great. Really interesting doing a town sightseeing walk and being introduced to people on just about every street as being relatives. Even got to borrow Papa's truck for a few days to get around in. Never got the hang of timing when and when not to use the horn though. 

Quite funny on the return ferry when my Filipina girlfriend casually pointed out the rat trying to climb up our bags to the top bunk. I can just imagine one of my ex western gf's hitting the roof if they ever clapped eyes on a rat so near.

All in all the holiday was too short, but we packed quite a lot of stuff and experiences into it, and yep, best advice for the areas I visited is to just bring a smile, go with the flow and keep your radar on but no need to overdo it eh.

Thanks again for the earlier advice and banter.

• Like 3
Thalcoozyo

It sounds like you did just fine! Glad it turned out well for you. So, you gonna return? Stay in touch with your "tour guide"? hehe   You weren't there during the typhoon Ruby, I hope!

mydogbitjesus

yep, staying in touch with the tour guide :) we've known each other for a few years now, but only been able to get together recently because of one thing and another.

Will visit the Philippines again at some time, just getting visa'd up so she can come here for a look around.

Wasn't there for the typhoon, but got reports from her on the weather. Wasn't any drama where she was.

angbumabasa

yep, staying in touch with the tour guide :) we've known each other for a few years now, but only been able to get together recently because of one thing and another.

Will visit the Philippines again at some time, just getting visa'd up so she can come here for a look around.

Wasn't there for the typhoon, but got reports from her on the weather. Wasn't any drama where she was.

The only drama here was the rush to get the boats dry-docked, buy supplies, and wait for the power to go out. Very little rain with winds in the tropical storm category. Oh, and the boredom in the dark with the kerosene lamps. Played cards with real cards, not digital. :shitstormretarded:

• 3 weeks later...
Kabisay-an gid

that is the slow boat. take oceanjet-lite ferries-2go or weesem to ormoc. 2 ours aprox. from here 1-2 hour drive to maasin wich i am guessing is about where u want to go. oceanjet is ceapest, and most reliable

and take bachelor bus towards davao and get of it in maasin

It's at least a 2 hour drive from Ormoc port to Maasin, most likely closer to 2.5. There's no way you can get there in an hour, even if you had your own car. The best way to get there is via van, they don't make many stops.

The easiest way for newbies to get from Cebu to Maasin is the direct trip via day ferry. It's also cheaper than having to pay for the fairly expensive fastcraft to Ormoc, then having to pay again for the long van ride to Maasin.

Kabisay-an gid

The road from Ormoc can be 4 hrs. It is a terrible bone jarring ride.

I've made the trip from Ormoc port to Maasin and back a number of times. It's typically 2.5 hours one way. You can probably make it in 2 hours at night, assuming you have a van driver who isn't afraid to drive fairly fast.

I've traveled it by car, bus and van. Never considered it "terrible" or "bone jarring". Long and tedious, yes.