• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mydogbitjesus

• Faktor

• Headshot

• angbumabasa

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

P, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you are coming to the Philippines more to see your GF than to see the country. If so, and she is willing to stay with you in resorts, then you are

For you language buffs.. this is one of the very few English words with Filipino roots.

You'll be fine. On this forum there are "city" people and "province" people. You are headed to where the "city people" consider to be the province, many of them are a bit paranoid about the boondocks.

Headshot

Simple gifts of chocolate are the best. Then again, whereas the father is a seaman, they might have more refined tastes in chocolate. Just ask your GF what she thinks is appropriate and follow her lead. She knows her family better than you do (or anybody else on this forum).

Scruffydog

Hi guy's,

Greetings, first post and all that.

I'm taking my first trip to the Philippines in November to meet up with a filipina I worked with when we were both in the UAE.

We always kept in touch after I left and met up in the UAE again earlier this year. She's now moved back to the Philippines.

She is from Southern Leyte and we are intending to stay at a beach resort for a few days on Mactan island and then catch a ferry to Southern Leyte to her home town, and then another resort for a few more days before heading back to Cebu city.

I've been reading through lots of the threads on the site, and am getting the impression that the average westerner needs to keep quite vigilant at all times while travelling about in the Philippines, more so than other holiday destinations? I mean, I'm not stupid and have done a fair bit of travelling over the years, so will take usual precautions to stay as unnoticeable as possible.

I read the UK FCO site for information and I think a lot of people wouldn't even come after reading it!

I guess my question is, as I'm travelling with her, she knows where to go and where not to go, and I'm going to have a great time and should just chill out and enjoy the experience huh?

Oh... and I hear its a 5 hour ferry ride to Leyte so I should wear a life jacket and stand by the exit point just in case, and also try not to get kidnapped at some point ;)

Cheers,

P. 

Just use common sense and be alert and you should be fine. Now if you were coming to Macon, Ga I would advise you to pack heat . Seriously many places here in the USA are far more dangerous

• Like 1

they usually love dried mango here on leyte esp if the pack says cebu on it. my asawa always bring a ton back of that- 

• Like 1

oh and any little nips saying cebu. they will almost fight over small souveniers if it say cebu on it. and they usually cost between 20-50p

mydogbitjesus

so they would prefer something from Cebu over something from Harrods? :) probably get a harrods plastic bag for 50p...

Nips? is that just nick nack stuff? key rings etc..

• Like 1
Thalcoozyo

Welcome to the forum.  I've been going to So.Leyte, from the States then thru Cebu, for 10+ years.

So. Leyte is safe. Muslims and all that crap are not to be found in S.L.

There are pickpockets everywhere in the Phils, and the rest of the world, including London and New York. Snap or zip pockets, or heavily velcro'd pockets, are very good to have.

The heat will be unbearable for you. Go to your local department store and buy the new, ultra-lightweight "sports" t-shorts that wick sweat off you. They are about 10usd at Target. They are indispensable, and launder/dry easily.  Get some similar lightweight shorts with zipper-legs, usually available at outdoor clothing shops. Don't invest in Northface... just get some cheap brand as they'll work just as nice.

Gifts... go to Victoria's secret and get the small hand lotion bottles (scented). They have a zillion flavors. Catch 'em on sale and they are about 6usd each. Victoria's stuff is OUTRAGEOUS in the Phils... not affordable... thus is seen as a status symbol when one pulls out a bottle and lotions one's hands. Go to Costco and buy the large (5lb? 10lb?) bag of individual sized Halloween chocolate treats. Good chocolate, too, is expensive in the Phils, and the variety of the Costco selection will be greatly appreciated. So what if it gets a bit soft?... toss it in the fridge and it'll work out ok. Trust me on this, I know.

I see myself in your questions... from about 15 yrs ago when first going to the Phils.  Private message me and I'll be happy to tell you more.  Or if you can't do that, then just reply here and I'll toss out a few more nuggets.

• Like 1

yaa those small key rings and so forth is a big hit. i have no idea why. and the girls love something to hang on there bags and so forth. and down here the more bling or colors the better. it can really hurt your eyes going to town. simple elegant functional and practical are words unknown here, the flashier the better.. its a freaking nightmare shopping for clothes

BossHog

Let your GF keep you safe

you have seriously gotta be shitting us

let your girlfriend keep you safe

she must be so proud of you

when she's not busy protecting you.

for feck's sake

grow a pair.

• Like 3
Headshot

Oh FFS Hog...you know what I mean. You still need to have some street smarts, but the GF can be a great help in keeping you completely clear of situations that could spin out of control. Before we were married, my wife (then fiancé) was very helpful in steering me away from bad situations. After all...it's her neighborhood. She grew up here. No matter how good your street smarts are, she still knows the neighborhood (and neighbors) better than you do.

• Like 3
BossHog

my wife (then fiancé) was very helpful in steering me away from bad situations.

did you grow up in utah?

• Like 2
angbumabasa

Back in '96 during APEC my wife and I had just left Mass in Baclaran. At the time I was smoking Capri extra long light smokes. A PNP at an intersection, carrying an "Armalite", fast approached me pointing his weapon at me. He apparently thought I was smoking shabu. He was very serious and threatening. My 4'11.5", 90lb wife jumped between he and I, screaming in Tagalog, shaking her finger in his face. He lowered his weapon and his eyes, backed off rather sheepishly while everybody around us was laughing. Sometimes wives really do come in handy.   

• Like 3
Headshot

did you grow up in utah?

WTF is wrong with you? Growing up, my dad was an Air Force pilot, and I lived in a dozen different states (none of them were Utah). I went to school at ten different schools from kindergarten through high school. I went to junior high at an inner-city school that was every bit as bad as anything you would find in Detroit. During my first week there, I witnessed several fist fights (beat downs) and one knife fight that one of the kids didn't walk away from (he bled out there on the ground). If you think I'm some sort of Pollyanna, get over it. I have no problems taking care of myself.

However, I believe that anybody who refuses to accept advice from somebody who knows the ground better than they do is a total idiot, and will probably have an untimely death. Being street smart is no substitute for knowing the ground. And it isn't just in security matters. It is also good to have somebody who guides you in social situations as well. They can keep you from falling into cultural pit traps (that will...at the very least...embarrass you or others) if you know how to listen without getting you ego involved.

• Like 4
to_dave007

In case anyone forgot.. this thread was about helping a guy that wants to visit Leyte with his girl.

Never having been to Leyte, I can't help the OP there. But it rural Cebu, I sure as hell have learned to rely on my girl.. my wife now.. to keep me outta trouble. Best example I recall was while we were at the local registrars office trying for what seemed like the 20th time to get the marriage license.. I got frustrated and was losing my temper.. and the wife simply leaned over to me and told me to be calm and that "we will need these people again and again.. don't piss them off". It DID calm me down.. and the people in the registrar office SAW that I calmed down and that she had calmed me.. and from that moment forward we got lots of help, and I learned that the staff there WERE sympathetic to our frustrations.. more so than I could have imagined. So.. I do agree with HeadShot above.

To the OP.. Go to Leyte.. Enjoy yourself there. If you've never been any place like PI before, and if you are lucky enough to go with a guide who really does care for you, then you are about to have an awesome experience, and you will likely fall in love with the place as many of us have. As for the cultural norms.. let your girl show you the way.

Also.. discuss with your girl BEFORE you get there what "gifts" should be expected for family, and what your limit should be for "gifts" of all kinds. Depending on the circumstances the expectations for giving can get a bit aggressive.. and hard to say no to. So decide in advance what your limit is.. Tell her about it.. and most importantly.. stick to your guns. They'll respect you more if you do that. But you SHOULD prepare some thoughtful gifts for family members, especially mother and father.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 4
mydogbitjesus

ha ha.. got a bit off track for a while there but good banter and information all around :)

Thanks Faktor, Headshot, Ang and Dave007. Great insights for me. BossHog, not sure if I'd want to go drinking with you :)

Well, she let me know what kind of chocolates her and her mama like, and it wasn't Cadbury's so she might be a keeper :) No idea how many relatives she has or how many people I would meet when I'm there anyway. Will just take some chocolates and maybe a few other nic nacs that I can get here before I go.

Anyway.... If she really cares about me I should be enough heh...  :dance:

• Like 1