Travel from Cebu city to Southern Leyte

mydogbitjesus

mydogbitjesus

Hi guy's,

Greetings, first post and all that.

I'm taking my first trip to the Philippines in November to meet up with a filipina I worked with when we were both in the UAE.

We always kept in touch after I left and met up in the UAE again earlier this year. She's now moved back to the Philippines.

She is from Southern Leyte and we are intending to stay at a beach resort for a few days on Mactan island and then catch a ferry to Southern Leyte to her home town, and then another resort for a few more days before heading back to Cebu city.

I've been reading through lots of the threads on the site, and am getting the impression that the average westerner needs to keep quite vigilant at all times while travelling about in the Philippines, more so than other holiday destinations? I mean, I'm not stupid and have done a fair bit of travelling over the years, so will take usual precautions to stay as unnoticeable as possible.

I read the UK FCO site for information and I think a lot of people wouldn't even come after reading it!

I guess my question is, as I'm travelling with her, she knows where to go and where not to go, and I'm going to have a great time and should just chill out and enjoy the experience huh?

Oh... and I hear its a 5 hour ferry ride to Leyte so I should wear a life jacket and stand by the exit point just in case, and also try not to get kidnapped at some point ;)

Cheers,

P. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mydogbitjesus

• Faktor

• Headshot

• angbumabasa

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

P, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you are coming to the Philippines more to see your GF than to see the country. If so, and she is willing to stay with you in resorts, then you are

For you language buffs.. this is one of the very few English words with Filipino roots.

You'll be fine. On this forum there are "city" people and "province" people. You are headed to where the "city people" consider to be the province, many of them are a bit paranoid about the boondocks.

angbumabasa

S. Leyte is boring, much to my delight. Although a few folks get paranoid about coming here, the reality is that it just boring. I love it. Padre Burgos has the dive shops if you like diving. Kuting Reef has an upscale, but very quiet resort. There are other Mom and Pop "resorts", then there is Jaimees, which is not really a resort. That's all in the western leg of the province. The eastern leg is even quieter. Enjoy your stay, but if you are an urban, fun loving type such as going to Mardi Gras year, you'll probably be just BORED. 

• Like 1

that is the slow boat. take oceanjet-lite ferries-2go or weesem to ormoc. 2 ours aprox. from here 1-2 hour drive to maasin wich i am guessing is about where u want to go. oceanjet is ceapest, and most reliable

and take bachelor bus towards davao and get of it in maasin

angbumabasa

The road from Ormoc can be 4 hrs. It is a terrible bone jarring ride. I have done that and my eye doctor does that every Friday. Check the ferry schedules. There is only one day ferry which goes directly to/from Maasin. The others are night ferries to/from Hilongos. Even when arriving/departing there multicabs to/from terminal area in Maasin are readily available 24/7. Only two pensions houses worth staying at are Southern Comfort and Ampil Pensionne, both close to Maasin port. Others rent by the hour. If Country Lodge is up and operating now it is also good but much further from town center. If you coming from Surigao to the eastern leg of the province just remember a ferry was lost at sea there recently, so might not want go that route. A former co-worker in the states has a wife from St. Bernard and she would always land at Tacloban and take a van home. But Tacloban airport is still damaged so unsure how that would work today.

Good Luck.

• Like 1
shadow

Hi guy's,

I'm taking my first trip to the Philippines in November to meet up with a filipina I worked with when we were both in the UAE.

We always kept in touch after I left and met up in the UAE again earlier this year. She's now moved back to the Philippines.

She is from Southern Leyte and we are intending to stay at a beach resort for a few days on Mactan island and then catch a ferry to Southern Leyte to her home town, and then another resort for a few more days before heading back to Cebu city.

I've been reading through lots of the threads on the site, and am getting the impression that the average westerner needs to keep quite vigilant at all times while travelling about in the Philippines, more so than other holiday destinations? I mean, I'm not stupid and have done a fair bit of travelling over the years, so will take usual precautions to stay as unnoticeable as possible.

I read the UK FCO site for information and I think a lot of people wouldn't even come after reading it!

I guess my question is, as I'm travelling with her, she knows where to go and where not to go, and I'm going to have a great time and should just chill out and enjoy the experience huh?

Oh... and I hear its a 5 hour ferry ride to Leyte so I should wear a life jacket and stand by the exit point just in case, and also try not to get kidnapped at some point ;)

Cheers,

P. 

That area of the Philippines is relatively safe. Stop worrying and have a good trip!

• Like 3
Headshot

P, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you are coming to the Philippines more to see your GF than to see the country. If so, and she is willing to stay with you in resorts, then you are NOT likely to get bored regardless of where you are. If you are bored, then she probably isn't the right girl anyway. She obviously wants you to meet her family, which from my perspective is a good thing. Chill out, don't worry, and enjoy the experience. If you haven't been to the Philippines before, this place will probably overwhelm your senses anyway. Take in the natural beauty, and ignore the bad stuff.  There is some extreme poverty here, and a lot of people are more concerned with surviving than they are in taking care of their environment, so don't dwell on that. It is just a fact here.

Let your GF keep you safe. It sounds like the two of you are already quite close, so it is very unlikely that she will let anything bad happen to you. On the ferry, just know where you can get to a lifejacket quickly (there will likely be one under your bed if you get a cabin). If the ferry has private cabins or suites, get one for you and your GF. It is a bit more expensive, but for long rides, it is well worth it. It will make for a much more comfortable journey, and who knows, you might even catch a nap...or whatever. Stop at a supermarket before you leave Cebu City, and take food and drink with you on the ferry. That way you will at least have a choice of what you eat and drink. Oh...and NEVER get on a ferry if there is a chance of bad weather. It's better to postpone the ferry ride than to end up at the bottom of the ocean or floating in a life jacket somewhere.

BTW...welcome to LinC Forums. Feel free to ask whatever questions you have about anything. Knowing our membership, it is likely that somebody will know what you are talking about (or think they do) and offer advice.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 9
Hogan1950

Hi guy's,

Cheers,

P. 

Welcome to the forum.  When I am in the Philippines, we spend a lot of time in Southern Leyte, and the wife is from the Libagon area.  It is quiet there, and yes, depending on what you like, could be considered pretty boring.  It is very safe there, but taking reasonable precautions is prudent.  Canigao Island has a great beach, but can be a little crowded as it is small.  We had fun there though, and is a nice day trip with the family.  What area will you be going to? 

We take Gabisan G1 fast ferry to Hilongos, then their boat service bus to Libagon.  Works well for us, but I am sure your lady friend knows the best way to get to wherever you are going.  Have a great time my friend.

First....Welcome to the forum, and second....don't forget to bring some small gifts for her family when you go to visit them.  It will make a good impression.

mydogbitjesus

Thanks for taking the time with all the replies everyone. Some really good points.

I'm mostly going to see her, but also it's a great opportunity to check out another part of the globe and to have a local tour guide is even better.

We will be a little bit further South from Maasin city. Already got some accommodation booked after she mentioned a place. One of her family is picking us up at the ferry. Hope they don't make too much fuss, as I'd prefer it to be low key, but she is a great girl and she just put it out there if I wanted to meet her family, no pressure. I thought it might be fun.

The presents thing sounds a little like the Japanese way of travelling with their Omiyagi? What kind of things make for a good impression? As I've never met her close family before I don't want to get too stupid about it and give them the wrong impression, or future expectations (trying to put it in the nicest way).

Cheers,

P.

What kind of things make for a good impression?

Oh, a new house, new pump boat, new car. Any of those would work. 

Seriously, take chocolates, small gifts, maybe some bath towels. 

As I've never met her close family before I don't want to get too stupid about it and give them the wrong impression, or future expectations (trying to put it in the nicest way).

Too late. They think you are screwing their daughter, so, they already think you are going to marry her. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3

The road from Ormoc can be 4 hrs. It is a terrible bone jarring ride. I have done that and my eye doctor does that every Friday. Check the ferry schedules. There is only one day ferry which goes directly to/from Maasin. The others are night ferries to/from Hilongos. Even when arriving/departing there multicabs to/from terminal area in Maasin are readily available 24/7. Only two pensions houses worth staying at are Southern Comfort and Ampil Pensionne, both close to Maasin port. Others rent by the hour. If Country Lodge is up and operating now it is also good but much further from town center. If you coming from Surigao to the eastern leg of the province just remember a ferry was lost at sea there recently, so might not want go that route. A former co-worker in the states has a wife from St. Bernard and she would always land at Tacloban and take a van home. But Tacloban airport is still damaged so unsure how that would work today.

Good Luck.

tac airport reopened about 3 weeks ago

• Like 1
mydogbitjesus

ha ha, sounds like the family of pretty much every other girl I've ever been out with then :)

.... bath towels? 

the girl might be great but trust me on this. the family thinks she has found a gold mine, and they will expect u to help them out. if u give a finger they will take your arm... most here thinks all white are rich like hell. bring "pasalubon" small gifts like chocolate and dried fruits and bread.. 

mydogbitjesus

Thanks for the info Faktor.

As far as I know her immediate family seem to be doing ok without giving too much info (college/university) her father is an engineer on ships sailing around the world. Though I guess his salary doesn't match a western salary.

I was thinking along the lines of simple presents so they don't get the impression they are onto a gold mine, but I guess if they already have their perceptions about it I can't change that. Early days... 

• Like 1