Ultra-fast charging batteries that can be 70% recharged in just two minutes

Scientists have developed a new battery that can be recharged up to 70 per cent in only 2 minutes. The battery will also have a longer lifespan of over 20 years. Expected to be the next big thing in battery technology, this breakthrough has a wide-ranging impact on many industries, especially for electric vehicles which are currently inhibited by long recharge times of over 4 hours and the limited lifespan of batteries.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/10/141013090449.htm

Yay science! I hope this actually makes it out of the lab and they apply to solar/wind/etc. batteries!!!

• Like 1

Seems like about once a week I read an article about a new type of battery that's gonna revolutionize the modern world.  How come none of them ever come to market?

There has to be large enough market willing to pay high enough price to justify paying for factories and machinery and still pay the investors a profit.

• Like 1
contraman

They release information like this to justify further funding (and their Jobs)

You see this kind of thing regularly on some miracle drugs etc

(But it will not be available for 5 years :(

WTF, I want to know its available now, not 5 years notice.

When i see it for sale on Amazon or Ebay, then I will get excited about it.

• Like 1

They are getting better. My iPhone 5c charges most of the way in like 30 minutes and lasts for days.

They make the announcements and there is a lot of buzz but relatively little buzz when they actually put it in your devices.

But I agree I wish it were here now.

to_dave007

20 years life will have a lot of impact in solar energy market.. battery life is significant constraint today.

The single most significant barrier to solar electricity is BATTERIES.

Sort out the storage and you have it licked.

In Australia, you can store your excess on the national grid, and get paid for it.

But bottom line, storage is the problem.

KonC

• Like 1
to_dave007

In Australia, you can store your excess on the national grid, and get paid for it.

As with many things, the devil is in the details. This ability to send excess solar does exist in Ontario Canada, likely much the same as in Australia, but to my knowledge it's not available as yet in Cebu, or most other places in PI except perhaps some limited locations.

In addition, this grid connect requires a piece of fairly expensive electronics to interconnect to the grid, partly to ensure that your home system is disconnected from the grid properly when the grid fails (so that you don't try to power all of Brisbane or electrocute the power workers on the street outside your home. YES.. you are right you CAN do this.. but the costs of buying and maintaining the on-grid connection electronics contributes in a big way to discouraging mass adoption. Over time that will no doubt change.

Screw hybrid systems that connect to the grid. I want to be completely off the grid. Hopefully batteries like this will make that truly possible without the current headaches.

• Like 1