Attn Knowdafish: pH levels?

Question - what is the pH of the rainwater there? Here in Dumaguete it is often acidic due to pollution and acid rain.

I finally had the water tested. The pH level was 6.78. Is that good, bad, or indifferent? 

Pure water (so we can assume rain water) should be close to pH 7.

6.78 seems OK. Most test kits aren't all that sensitive anyway.

KennyF

That was rainwater, direct from the storage tank.

pHscale-.jpg

So, I guess I can assume pollution in the air here is no where near as bad as it is in Dumaguete. I think Cebu City would be a no brainer.

• Like 1

Rainwater if anything can be acidic.Can cause problems for Koi. No end of problems with bad rain as a result of polution affecting other countries Early in the year my car in the South of Japan was covered with sand dust from China coming down with the rain.

I managed to get a local tank that fills up from an underground spring condemned a few weeks ago. Locals were getting sick and I lost fifty fish with a water change.

• Like 1

The water I tested was from right here in Battambang City. The next rainwater will be from the farm. I imagine it will be even less acidic, considering it is 30 km away in the province? I don't know any industries in this area that dump any sort of pollutants into the air. I'm glad the water seems to be as clean as it does. too.  

Sounds good. Depends on the fish as well. Chichlids like tilapia like acidity. Real koi live in mud whereas nishikigoi (Japanese brocaded carp) seem to want nothing short of the purest you can get. I have an aquarium of South American varieties breeding like crazy but I'm giving up on success with koi here.

Water boards used to buffer supplies to around 7.0 but few degrees either way is fine.

• Like 2
Mikala

The water I tested was from right here in Battambang City. The next rainwater will be from the farm. I imagine it will be even less acidic, considering it is 30 km away in the province? I don't know any industries in this area that dump any sort of pollutants into the air. I'm glad the water seems to be as clean as it does. too.  

Are there any power plants in the area Paul? I would guess they'd be the largest pollution source. Looks like power production in Cambodia is mostly hydroelectric and fossil fuels. No coal plants yet, but a big 135MW coal fired plant is planned for Sihanoukville. They've even found coal deposits in Battambang, but no mining is taking place (that's shown on the internet). I see there's the 2.7MW Battambang Sophra power plant located nearby you. I assume it burns bunker fuel.

Are there any power plants in the area Paul? I would guess they'd be the largest pollution source. Looks like power production in Cambodia is mostly hydroelectric and fossil fuels. No coal plants yet, but a big 135MW coal fired plant is planned for Sihanoukville.

The coal plant is operational now, in Sihanoukville. 

To be perfectly honest, I do not know what type, if any power plants are in the area. I know we are in direct line from Thailand to Phnom Penh, regarding one major power line. This may account for why we rarely (once per week, usually) have power outages. During the time I lived in Sihanoukville, the outages were insane. They would drive me mad. The longest I ever endured was 14 hours. This is long before I went with alternative energy. 

I see there's the 2.7MW Battambang Sophra power plant located nearby you.

Not sure where this is. Apparently, it isn't large enough, or close enough, to affect the rain water here, though? 

I assume it burns bunker fuel.

Bunker fuel? :scratch_head:

musicman666

Sounds good. Depends on the fish as well. Chichlids like tilapia like acidity.

That's why I have cichlids.....I'm probably going to go all frontosa next .....basically all the amazing freshwater fish from Africa live in limestone lakes ....the same exact ph as our limestone deep wells here in cebu......no additional chemicals required.

Mikala

Not sure where this is. Apparently, it isn't large enough, or close enough, to affect the rain water here, though? 

Bunker fuel? :scratch_head:

2.7 MW is small potatoes. Shouldn't affect the air much at all if there's a good breeze.

Bunker fuel is the sludge off the oil franctionally refined (I think). Not my area of expertise, but it's difficult to light off in a furnace and needs to be heated in order to be pumped. The pipeline at Barbers Point in Hawaii has electric heaters on it to ensure the oil moves to the Hawaiian Electric storage tanks. I put some into a plastic container once, let it cool, turned it upside down (like a Dairy Queen Blizzard) and nothing came out for minutes afterwards. It is very polluting stuff though, which is one of the small reasons why HECo is turning to LNG lately with the low gas prices in America.

• Like 1

I found the generation plant you are referring to, on a local map. It is very near the large public market. I imagine it is not running at the moment. I do not recall hearing any generators in that immediate area, running at any time. I will drop by there pretty soon and see if I can verify it. But, as I stated, I do not think it is online at this time. 

Headshot

How much "acid rain" is produced due to coal or oil-fueled generation is dependent on how much sulfur is the fuel to start with, and how good the filters and scrubbers are on the generation facility. In a modern facility, the sulfur load can be reduced to almost zero. The two bi-products that really can't really be mitigated are carbon dioxide (used by every green plant in the world to sustain growth) and water vapor.