'culture of corruption'

• Administrator
Salty Dog

True, but done in the finest traditions of America's longshoremen unions and harbor regulatory authorities. Didn't stop progress in America. Shouldn't stop progress here either. 

Why is it no matter what the subject or how off the wall something is here in the Philippines, someone always has to jump in and say "Well it's that way or worse in the USA"?

What does the US have to do with the OP? 

If everything is worse in the USA, then why isn't the US in worse shape than the Philippines? Why is the USA pretty much on the opposite side of the scale on just about everything when compared to the Philippines?

If the ports here modeled themselves after those in the USA, they would be much, much more effective and yes less corrupt. 

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 5
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• contraman

• smokey

• dnl_grout

• SomeRandomGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why is it no matter what the subject or how off the wall something is here in the Philippines, someone always has to jump in and say "Well it's that way or worse in the USA"?   What does the US have

Wait, I can hear it coming. There will be a new law passed that prohibits corruption. Yup, that will fix the problem

I know what they can do - since hammers were used in smash and grab robberies in malls they banned hammers.    So just ban money. No more bribes! 

Humboldt

Working for the Customs in the Philippines can be one of the most lucrative jobs also one of the most dangerous jobs

sure lots get rich ,  but then again lots get shot ...

I'm trying to change my wife's thinking here in America ,, just today I had my tire's balanced , local tire shop

again I had to tell her no honey I'm not tipping those boy's for doing there Job , also not tipping that cable guy

that UPS man etc .

Edited by Humboldt
  • Like 1

Even the Air 21 guy lingers around and hints for a tip whenever he delivers something here. 

"Oh Im rushing so hard and late to bring this to you..." 

Meh, you could have brought it tomorrow. 

And lingers and lingers and lingers... But the moment 20 pesos hits his hand - boom out the door faster than children when the school bell rings.

Or he could not have brought it at all, least that's how I feel if I don't tip them (particularly the local postman).

It truly sucks, but I remind myself it's par for the course around these parts.

angbumabasa

During 1996-97 I was often working at the mouth pf the Pasig at South Harbor. For lunch I would walk all the way back to the main road (Roxas?) to eat at the local Seaman's Club. No security at the container yards. All unloading and reloading was done manually. More than once I was offered something, anything, from an unloaded container, for a price. And some of the things were so big that I would have needed assistance and a truck to take it. But, NO females!!!!!! :-):-):-) And if so, my wife would have not approved and she was sometimes with me.

The Philippines is poor because it is corrupt, not corrupt because it is poor.

It will never change unless the 'people ' want it to change.

Corruption is embedded in the culture here.

i wonder how cheap you can buy the containers for ?

Bit less than you can buy a politician for.!!!!

dnl_grout

Why is it no matter what the subject or how off the wall something is here in the Philippines, someone always has to jump in and say "Well it's that way or worse in the USA"?

Because plenty are setting over here bitching about the current here-say on the 24hour news cycle.

And those saying that with boots on the ground there don't want to think the truth cause they might have to think about going back to where there is nothing left for them.

It's not easy to maintain a living mental state of mind there, some foggy thoughts need to be maintained like.....it's more fun!

dnl_grout

It will be interesting to see how well the Philippines fits in and moves along the ASEAN integration track...it's headed there way full steam

rainymike

If everything is worse in the USA, then why isn't the US in worse shape than the Philippines? Why is the USA pretty much on the opposite side of the scale on just about everything when compared to the Philippines?

If the ports here modeled themselves after those in the USA, they would be much, much more effective and yes less corrupt. 

Perhaps you should re-read what I posted. What I said was that corruption didn't stop America from moving forward. And frankly, I think it's overrated and in the end won't stop this country from moving forward either. The Phils has been independent now for about 70 years. It's certainly not Japan economically, but it ain't Nigeria either. Some shit takes time. Now where was America 70 years after independence? Still dealing with slavery. No voting rights for women. No benefits for veterans. No social security. Organizing labor was illegal. Crime, corruption, the big power dealers in the country made the news regularly.

But a lot of little guys just sucked it up. And kept at it. And slowly over time things improved a tad. I don't expect the average pinoy to be an Abraham Lincoln or FDR. Corruption is the norm in most Asian countries. It's not a deal stopper. The roots of the problem in this country goes deeper than simple corruption. My guess is that it lies with the constitution. That's probably where attention really needs to be focused to get the ball rolling. 

But just my opinion.

• Like 2
smokey

True, but done in the finest traditions of America's longshoremen unions and harbor regulatory authorities. Didn't stop progress in America. Shouldn't stop progress here either. 

LOL ... still resisting offers that I'm not supposed to refuse.

oh please even the janitor asked for a tip to tell me where the cr was ... top to bottom is normal

smokey

there are a few guys who are like that if you say banana are bad here they chime in to tell you about a rotten banana they found in a walmart back in the late 60sss  Some times and not all the time people need others to understand why they made major changes in their lives not realizing no one really cares

• Like 1
smokey

Perhaps you should re-read what I posted. What I said was that corruption didn't stop America from moving forward. And frankly, I think it's overrated and in the end won't stop this country from moving forward either. The Phils has been independent now for about 70 years. It's certainly not Japan economically, but it ain't Nigeria either. Some shit takes time. Now where was America 70 years after independence? Still dealing with slavery. No voting rights for women. No benefits for veterans. No social security. Organizing labor was illegal. Crime, corruption, the big power dealers in the country made the news regularly.

But a lot of little guys just sucked it up. And kept at it. And slowly over time things improved a tad. I don't expect the average pinoy to be an Abraham Lincoln or FDR. Corruption is the norm in most Asian countries. It's not a deal stopper. The roots of the problem in this country goes deeper than simple corruption. My guess is that it lies with the constitution. That's probably where attention really needs to be focused to get the ball rolling. 

But just my opinion.

you think its overrated great tell us about your experience at the port its a joke and the ones to suffer are the poor as the business people know its going to cost extra so they pass the cost on to WHO , 

SomeRandomGuy

there are a few guys who are like that if you say banana are bad here they chime in to tell you about a rotten banana they found in a walmart back in the late 60sss Some times and not all the time people need others to understand why they made major changes in their lives not realizing no one really cares

I hate agreeing with you, but yeah pretty much

Bah Humbug

Wait, I can hear it coming.

There will be a new law passed that prohibits corruption.

Yup, that will fix the problem :)

No,They will say it America's fault because we have to stop sending the multimillions every year because the corrupts take the money sent for agriculture and education etc.and they have to replace it somehow.

If it was'nt for America,,, by now the Philippines would be part of China.

SomeRandomGuy

If it was'nt for America,,, by now the Philippines would be part of China.

Huh?

Don't you mean japan?

Bah Humbug