Sign in to follow this  
Psst!

The Bisdak Test

Psst!

I think this is a fun way to learn beginner Cebuano or assess what you already know! I am a Cebuano native speaker, yet I only got 18 correct out of 20. Although, I think the answer to #14 is not an option.

http://www.playbuzz.com/sugbuz10/the-bisdak-test-how-well-do-you-know-the-cebuano-dialect

Okay! So what's your score?

• Like 1

bmoore

I got 1/2 mainly by guessing. Not the basic Bisayan 101 vocabulary.

• Like 1

A_Simple_Man

I got 1/2 mainly by guessing.

I got them all right by guessing.  At least I did according to my filipina gf.  According to the official page I only got 14 right but my gf disputes 6 out of 20 of their answers.  What a language!  Even the native speakers cannot agree what the word means.

• Like 1

thebob

I've been looking for a coherent cebuano course but there doesn't seem to be much out there. There is a lot for beginners but little other than that.

• Like 1

bmoore

My wife protests kaupas for mushroom. She swears : ohong. She had a couple of guesses as well.

• Like 1

Mariel

I got 16/20. Some of the words are double meaning and hence either or should have been correct.

1. Kambyo. It means change (not exchange) as in giving you change for your money. Also means to change gear (as in gearbox).

2. Kaupas. Not sure about that but I agree with bmoore's wife. Mushrooms are called "uhong". 

3. Pakighinabi. Means to gossip/chat. Therefore to meet and stay are a must?

4. Barado. Masculine and clogged are both correct. Barado is Pinoy slang for "Masculine" or "macho" or "bad boy". 

Gosh, does anyone really still use these terminologies??

• Like 1

AshleighGirl

Bisaya and Cebuano is the the language or dialect here.

post-16482-0-79167500-1413543561_thumb.jpg

post-16482-0-03951000-1413543606_thumb.jpg

Syd_M

I've been looking for a coherent cebuano course but there doesn't seem to be much out there. There is a lot for beginners but little other than that.

I think the University of San Carlos (main campus) offers Visayan courses. Considering the large number of foreigners living in Cebu (mostly Koreans), it makes sense that some schools would capitalize on it.

via Tapatalk

Tin

17/20. The Cebuano could mean both of  the choices given, yet you have to chose which is closest and widely used.

Kaupas and uhong are synonyms, just like Beautiful and Pretty.

Kambyo:To exchange

Kambyo ta, ambi ng imuha unya imo ring akoa.

Let us exchange, give me yours then you can have mine.

Pakighinabi: To meet/to socialize

Pakighinabi sa imong mga bisita.

Talk/socialize with your visitors.

Barado is clogged

Barako is slang for masculine :)

• Like 1

SkyMan

Thread moved to the Cebuano forum.

Considering the large number of foreigners living in Cebu (mostly Koreans), it makes sense that some schools would capitalize on it.

True but I don't think many Koreans care to learn Cebuano.

• Like 1

Tin

True but I don't think many Koreans care to learn Cebuano.

They sure care to Learn English.

Th best way to learn Cebuano I guess is to listen from the locals and try to use it. You speak and you learn, hard to use the learn and speak strategy.

SkyMan

What a language!  Even the native speakers cannot agree what the word means.
It's not like you couldn't make up a similar test using words common in one of the major English speaking countries that would cause problems to residents of the other English speaking countries and you wouldn't have to use recent slang.  And English has the benefit of dictionaries and throngs of highly trained instructional staff in each country.

SkyMan

They sure care to Learn English.

Th best way to learn Cebuano I guess is to listen from the locals and try to use it. You speak and you learn, hard to use the learn and speak strategy.

The main problem is finding a good teacher.  There are very few.  I've known 2 and one of them passed away.

• Like 1