AshleighGirl

AshleighGirl

Hi all,

I have friend of mine that wanted to know the information about on how to change the family name of her child.

On her child birth certificate he using the family name of the father, but since they're finally over, she plan to put her own surname to her child..

My question is, is there's a need of lawyer in case she's going to process everything in order to change the child surname from the father name to her... Is anyone knows any steps to get this things done.. Does she's need to consult the father of the child?

Thank you and appreciate the help..

smokey

Hi all,

I have friend of mine that wanted to know the information about on how to change the family name of her child.

On her child birth certificate he using the family name of the father, but since they're finally over, she plan to put her own surname to her child..

My question is, is there's a need of lawyer in case she's going to process everything in order to change the child surname from the father name to her... Is anyone knows any steps to get this things done.. Does she's need to consult the father of the child?

Thank you and appreciate the help..

you need a lawyer to change the spelling of your first name so i am sure you need a lawyer and lots of time and money to get the job done...   One time i by mistake printed my step daughters name on a school form as i was paying her fee and it asked for her name and i call her Tess and her OFFICIAL name is ites and that took over one year to change 

• Like 1
AshleighGirl

you need a lawyer to change the spelling of your first name so i am sure you need a lawyer and lots of time and money to get the job done...   One time i by mistake printed my step daughters name on a school form as i was paying her fee and it asked for her name and i call her Tess and her OFFICIAL name is ites and that took over one year to change

Thank you smokey,

That's good information from you. If that's take one year to only change the spelling of your step daughters name, it's mean this problem of my friend will take more more years, specially in my country have slow service most of everything.. Lol

angbumabasa

Check it out carefully. On my stepsons birth certificate, after birth, after issuance, they went back and changed his middle name with whiteout to please his father. Much to the disgust of my stepson, his middle name is now "Leslie", before it was Juan or Joe, something more masculine. That (Leslie) is what is on two passports. That will be on his OZ passport when we get around to it. Now, this was days/weeks after the certificate was issued in Butuan in 1992. Upon hearing, in Australia, by his birth father (who is now dead), of his original name, his father had a fit and wanted "Leslie" (a family middle name) to be passed on. So, back to the drawing board with whiteout. That's what we have now. With whiteout.

• Like 1

We have had family members make changes to misspellings (changed from an "o" to an "a"). It did not require a lawyer to complete any of the process, but I'm sure a lawyer would be delighted to receive a fee to accomplish this. For our family, this was done at the civil registrar and then the NSO.

However, change to a family name as opposed to a misspellling can be a more complex process. Perhaps involving a court ruling and of course a lawyer. When you said they are "finally over" that didn't make clear if you mean there was a marriage that was annulled or it was a simpler matter of paternity.

I would ask at the civil registrar before I consult with a lawyer. The process may be simple.

• Like 1
smokey

Thank you smokey,

That's good information from you. If that's take one year to only change the spelling of your step daughters name, it's mean this problem of my friend will take more more years, specially in my country have slow service most of everything.. Lol

my wife helped tim  retired change some marriage documents... If its in cebu area it can be done easier if you know your way around the court pm the details and i will ask my wife her advice before you spend money on a lawyer

AshleighGirl

my wife helped tim  retired change some marriage documents... If its in cebu area it can be done easier if you know your way around the court pm the details and i will ask my wife her advice before you spend money on a lawyer

Thanks again.

You might want to look into the delayed registration of birth. I think if child under 18 it allows for name changes. Not 100% sure but worth looking into

Edited by bigmook
  • Like 2

I just asked the wife, she said she knows someone who was married 20 years ago and they left each other 15 years ago. after 10 years of being single she found another and wanted to remarry but didn't want the expensive annulment. so instead she file late registration and changed her name and remarried. I asked if it was legal and her response " I don't know dear, but shes happy now"

• Like 1
ancienrocka

We have had family members make changes to misspellings (changed from an "o" to an "a"). It did not require a lawyer to complete any of the process, but I'm sure a lawyer would be delighted to receive a fee to accomplish this. For our family, this was done at the civil registrar and then the NSO.

However, change to a family name as opposed to a misspellling can be a more complex process. Perhaps involving a court ruling and of course a lawyer. When you said they are "finally over" that didn't make clear if you mean there was a marriage that was annulled or it was a simpler matter of paternity.

I would ask at the civil registrar before I consult with a lawyer. The process may be simple.

I totally agree. The balance is to spend maybe 50,000p for a lawyer or do it yourself for next to nothing. It may take you a little longer and a little heartache or stress but I know which option I would go for.

Our business is successful because people fear to confront the process; once you do, you will not find it that hard! All you need is patience and persistence.

Bugger! There goes my business!

• Like 2
shadow

To change first name or the spelling of the first name, an attorney is not usually required. To change a family name usually requires a judge.

• Like 1
stevensanph

We've actually been through this exact process, to change the surname from the fathers name, back to the mothers name.

We were required to file a case in the muncipality where the birth took place, showing the reason why the name change was required.  In our case it was because a late certificate of filing had been done at the age of 16, and all documentation including passports, bank accounts and marriage certs were in that name.  Somewhere along the line the NSO matched the late filing to a birth certificate filed at the time of birth (which we did not know about) in the dad's name. NSO refused to issue any more copies of the one that had been used for all ID's as they said it shouldn't have existed.

The case was filed in Samar, and took 2 years to go to court.  We had to attend 2 hearings in front of a judge, and he took a further 6 months to issue an order to the NSO to change back to the late filing certificate.  It took another 6 months to get a new copy off the NSO once we served them the court order...  Whole process cost us around 30,000 peso in lawyer fees, travel from manila to samar twice and 10,000peso for the judge (as advised by the lawyer - no idea why but wasn't going to argue).  This was all in Catbalogan - but too be honest I wouldn't recommend the lawyer.   I would have said the chances of us doing it ourselves would have been slim to non existent.   

• Like 2