Looming power woes threaten Cebu growth

They are finally realizing this, many of us have been saying it for years but the big question is, will anything be done about it in time or will the red tape and corruption tie it up for years to come.

The Department of Energy said commercial establishments -- these include both small and big businesses -- are the major consumers of electricity followed by households. READ MORE

Bill H

Well if they follow the example set by Mindanao, you folks best be buying your generators now to avoid daily brownouts!

lazydays

Cebu will have to do what Mindanao is doing, build new power plants.

easy44

The demand for electricity is very predictable and the supply available is already known.  Failure to reconcile the two is just another example of the dismal planning that goes on in Cebu with regard to every aspect of the infrastructure.  The powers that be are either unable or unwilling to spend the money necessary to fix the problem or do not have the political will to do so, for reasons it's easy to speculate about.  The quality of life will continue to decline until someone has the balls and clout to do something about it.  I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

I stayed in Mindanao Provience for 45 days prior to my arrival here in USA. Daily the power went off at 8am to return at 6pm, Generators in Maranding, LaLa, and Tubod were the norms for business owners. Even when the power returned it was not a sure thing.

smokey

The demand for electricity is very predictable and the supply available is already known.  Failure to reconcile the two is just another example of the dismal planning that goes on in Cebu with regard to every aspect of the infrastructure.  The powers that be are either unable or unwilling to spend the money necessary to fix the problem or do not have the political will to do so, for reasons it's easy to speculate about.  The quality of life will continue to decline until someone has the balls and clout to do something about it.  I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.

And yet foreigners move to the philippines daily think cebu can make some changes like many in place at the SRP with the right leadership

USMC-Retired

Was the SRP planned well? Seems it further hurt Cebu by growth they did not plan for.

smokey

Was the SRP planned well? Seems it further hurt Cebu by growth they did not plan for.

I was reading they will generate their own power and clean water

• Like 1
throttleplate

I stayed in Mindanao Provience for 45 days prior to my arrival here in USA. Daily the power went off at 8am to return at 6pm, Generators in Maranding, LaLa, and Tubod were the norms for business owners. Even when the power returned it was not a sure thing.

i lived in dipolog city,mindanao for 13 months back in 2010 during one of the worst droughts in ph history and walking down the streets of the business district where brownouts lasted all day most businesses had generators sittin in the front of the door screaming away as some had many hours of use on them and the mufflers vibrated loose and cracked or the inside broke loose and some gens where they just took the muffler off and built a straight pipe and attatched it and had it run 10 feet high to get the exhaust fumes away from the door.End result of this was very loud and polluted air while strolling the streets.

Headshot

Isn't the huge wind farm up in the mountains above Cebu City still on track? Although wind isn't usually a reliable power source in most places, I have never been up on the ridges when the wind wasn't blowing. If they can put a few hundred wind turbines up on those ridges, they won't have too many power problems here for a while. I haven't heard much about the project since they started it, but then I haven't heard that it was cancelled either, so I suppose that generation will come on-line at some point. Certainly, it isn't without drawbacks, but it's a Hell of a lot better than building more fossil-fuel powered generation plants. Use the resources you have. The Philippines has an abundance of wind in the mountains.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Yup, that sounds about right!

Cebu will have to do what Mindanao is doing, build new power plants.

Say what?  Where?  You mean build as in actually pouring concrete?  I have not heard that, what I read locally was they did not even have any in the planning stages at this time.

lazydays

Say what? Where? You mean build as in actually pouring concrete? I have not heard that, what I read locally was they did not even have any in the planning stages at this time.

One planned for Davao del Sur and another that has broken ground in the GenSan area.