Sign in to follow this  
BlancoDiablo

Expats living rough in the Philippines

BlancoDiablo

I just watched, for the second time, the Reel Time documentary called, "Expats Living Rough in the Philippines".  Those dudes were living rough for sure.  Some of the reasons were bad luck but most were bad choices.  Whether its mental illness, substance abuse or just piss poor planning (you pick) I hate to see a foreigner in that situation because it makes the rest of us look bad.  Has any of you seen the 5 part videos on YouTube?  The quality of the videos are pretty poor but the content is good.  Do any of you know the 4 expats showcased?  Are there any expats you see around living on the street? 

Edited by BlancoDiablo

Paul

Why don't you post links to each one in a reply to this thread? 

They are Matt Wilkie's videos, if I recall? 

Edited by Hell Boy

Davaoeno

• Like 1

BlancoDiablo

Thanks for posting them.  I looked high and low for them in better quality but no luck.

Headshot

I hate to see a foreigner in that situation because it makes the rest of us look bad. 

Why would you assume that foreigners living like this make all expats look bad? That is like saying that because there are homeless men in the US living under bridges, it reflects poorly on all Americans. Many who live rough...CHOOSE to live that way. Yes...they may have mental illness issues, but it no way reflects on an entire group of people. It only reflects on that individual. Why do people somehow believe that another's choices reflect on them? It isn't logical.

post-6379-0-59759600-1412731324_thumb.jpg

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 4

big RB

I was only able to see the first 3. 4th one not found.

smokey

Why would you assume that foreigners living like this make all expats look bad? That is like saying that because there are homeless men in the US living under bridges, it reflects poorly on all Americans. Many who live rough...CHOOSE to live that way. Yes...they may have mental illness issues, but it no way reflects on an entire group of people. It only reflects on that individual. Why do people somehow believe that another's choices reflect on them? It isn't logical.

attachicon.gifBeginning of Logic.jpg

your correct take myself just because i am a clown everyone thinks all foreigners are clowns and that is not true ...

• Like 3

CaptainNemo

"I hate to see a foreigner in that situation because it makes the rest of us look bad."

On the flip side-it shows that we dont all have a pool of money to swim in..

KennyF

As someone has already said here, with very few exceptions, it all comes down to decisions.

Decisions we make without coercion .

Were are grown men.

We make decisions.

Stick by them.

Stop moaning.

KonC

Laurence

Wow. Just watched 1 and 2. What a great person. He has that "can do" / "positive" trait that I admire in American culture. He referred to his life as living day to day. That is what I call going native, as per my thread a long time ago. This is a thread that seems negative but turns out to be positive in many more ways.

BlancoDiablo

I typically don't give them a second thought other than "Damn, that sucks". But...all of you make really good points.  I can't explain why I feel that way, I just do.  Anyway,  I also realize that could happen to me to so I try not to throw stones in my glass house.

• Like 2

tomaw

your correct take myself just because i am a clown everyone thinks all foreigners are clowins and that is not true ...

your correct take myself just because i am a clown everyone thinks all foreigners are clowns and that is not true ...

You're right Smokey. And just because one American clown is rich they think we're all rich! :-) LOL!!! :-)

Edited by tomaw

Bill H

.CHOOSE to live that way. Yes...they may have mental illness issues, but it no way reflects on an entire group of people. It only reflects on that individual

I don't fully agree with that.  I worked with homeless vets at the VA for a year and in my experience the are homeless because they have serious mental illness issues and/or they are substance abusers.  They don't really set out to choose that life style, it's sometimes the only choice they have.  We have decimated the mental health system in the US.  The few mental institutions that are around are filled beyond capacity with very dysfunctional people.  They are all under funded and under staffed, so they do not keep any but the most serious in the facility.  

You can't really address the homeless issue unless you address their mental illness and desire to get high.

• Like 2

tomaw

Homeless people in the US are one thing. If they want help they can get it from both government and private institutions. The homeless in The Philippines are a different story. The Philippines can barely take care of its own people let alone a bunch of destitute expats. If an American is really in a desperate situation they can go to the welfare section of the US Embassy and get help, possibly even a ticket home. Travelers Aid may also help them out. If all else fails The Philippine government may pay to have them deported, but I admit, that's a long shot.

Edited by tomaw

Daisy

5 years ago Alan and I met an Irish-Filipina couple with a two month old baby> The store owner told me they were always there in Divisoria almost everyday and night as they don't have a proper place so stay. I pity the cute little girl so much and I want her to sleep in a right bed away from the noise in the city's night life. Apparently the couple made a wrong decision and loss their business BIG time. They ended up living with us for four months until the "help" of his family arrived.....he went back to Ireland, the mother and daughter went back to her family and remember us no more! It's life! 

• Like 2