2 foreigners shot dead in Cagayan de Oro

SomeRandomGuy

For anybody who is math challenged, the numbers equate to a 0.0277% chance of being murdered in any given year here. So, if the average lifespan is 65 here (just a guess), it seems then that each person living in the Philippines has approximately a 1.8% chance of being murdered during their lifetime (though I'm probably calculating that wrong).

Of course, there are things that you can do to increase or decrease your chance of being murdered. And...therein lies the key to living peacefully in the Philippines. Do everything in your ability to NOT make yourself anybody's target, and chances are good that you won't have to worry too much about being anybody's target.

So that means roughly every time u see 50 people, one of them will have their lives shortened by murder.

Bah Humbug

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• SomeRandomGuy

• Daisy

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unfortunately, Daisy, she will never get it. She might as well move on. I only met Michael Turner once. That was at Mike Mike's place in CDO. We had gone to a couple of places and had a few beers toge

Just seems unimaginable to suffer a violent death at an advanced age. I guess if some old guys act like the old guys I know back in Chicago, then they'd take no crap off a young Filipino and probably

Yes, she needs to Paul, in fact she is working now on her widow's visa, her son's US passport and all that is related to Michael and the "US Embassy"   As to the two guys, it's sad but nobody seems

POTATOMAN

Homicide rate for black men in the USA aged 25-34 is 101.8 per 100k.

SomeRandomGuy

Yet another great reason to be born white

Bah Humbug

smokey

Those unemployment figures are always a farce. I thought they only counted those folks that are still eligible to receive unemployment? Once you go beyond the 6 month or a year, then you might still be unemployed, but not counted against the nation's percentage of unemployed people, correct?

Then there are the folks that have never had a job that also don't get countred as being 'unemployed', right?

Note: I'm not an economist or whatever job that makes this information their passion. Just a simple(ton) engineer.

you do know that is the number for the philippines ?

yes and about 80% of that is other black men shooting them

• Like 2
smokey

For anybody who is math challenged, the numbers equate to a 0.0277% chance of being murdered in any given year here. So, if the average lifespan is 65 here (just a guess), it seems then that each person living in the Philippines has approximately a 1.8% chance of being murdered during their lifetime (though I'm probably calculating that wrong).

Of course, there are things that you can do to increase or decrease your chance of being murdered. And...therein lies the key to living peacefully in the Philippines. Do everything in your ability to NOT make yourself anybody's target, and chances are good that you won't have to worry too much about being anybody's target.

to most foreigners that means hiding behind your wife...

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

For anybody who is math challenged, the numbers equate to a 0.0277% chance of being murdered in any given year here. So, if the average lifespan is 65 here (just a guess), it seems then that each person living in the Philippines has approximately a 1.8% chance of being murdered during their lifetime (though I'm probably calculating that wrong).

I may be personally pushing that 1.8% statistic pretty hard then... :biggrin_01: 

• Like 4
smokey

my wife is a modern women she has learned from me compasion and giving another chance we  had someone who claimed they could help us with paperwork and we gave him 25,000 peso .. he did nothing and then came back and said if you give me another 15,000  this time i can really help you trust me...  My wife said 15,000 so little maybe i can give you what you really deserve 45,000 yes you dont want 15 but you need 45 he left soon after ,

• Like 2

Yet another great reason to be born white

Bah Humbug

Or, just in another country?

SomeRandomGuy

Still if 1.8% is the current statistics what is it really.

I know of three murders here that have been listed as other.

Bah Humbug

Mikala

you do know that is the number for the philippines ?

Now that you tell me, then it's ridiculous for them to quote such a low figure.Almost everyone I know is unemployed. Those lucky enough to get a job, usually are only employed for a year or two. Sometimes they quit with the thought they can get another job (usually not). Sometimes they're replaced with a younger girl with a more 'pleasing personality'. Just the professionals seem to retain their jobs.

to most foreigners that means hiding behind your wife...

Not much good to me (if I had a wife) since I'm a big guy. Be like trying to hide behind a stalk of corn!

• Like 1
smokey

Now that you tell me, then it's ridiculous for them to quote such a low figure.Almost everyone I know is unemployed. Those lucky enough to get a job, usually are only employed for a year or two. Sometimes they quit with the thought they can get another job (usually not). Sometimes they're replaced with a younger girl with a more 'pleasing personality'. Just the professionals seem to retain their jobs.

Not much good to me (if I had a wife) since I'm a big guy. Be like trying to hide behind a stalk of corn!

you can not be helped even if ann landers was alive and let you move in with her...  do yourself a favor and have someone eles pick a GF or wife for you :yahoo:

• Like 1
oztony

16,160 murders/homicides in the 1st 7 months of this year,,sourced today's manila bulletin

This comes from another thread from about a week ago

Crime volume up in first 5 months of 2014 – PNP

Understated the data may be, it still paints a scary picture: One is murdered every hour,         24   murders/day

a robbery is committed every 10 minutes,                                                                                  144  robberies/day

someone is raped every 72 minutes,                                                                                           20   rapes/day

a theft is happening every three and half minutes,” the senator said.                                         411 thefts/day

I am guessing robbery means armed as opposed to theft

http://www.manilatim...014-pnp/107301/

jtmwatchbiz
As to the two guys, it's sad but nobody seems to know them....I generate more interest here in LINC than the other expat who posted it in CDO yahoo group...huh!

daisy i just noticed you are from cdo. i sent you a pm. have you read the thread on MIA member siuk? perhaps you can ask around the kawasaki dealership in cdo? if so please pm me for more info.

thanks!

fred

Edited by jtmwatchbiz
  • Like 2