2 foreigners shot dead in Cagayan de Oro

Regarding the two guys who were just murdered, someone wanted them dead. I would find it difficult to believe that a Filipino would just shoot them for no reason. 

Perhaps they were starting a business locally? They stepped on the wrong toes?

• Like 2
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• SomeRandomGuy

• Daisy

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unfortunately, Daisy, she will never get it. She might as well move on. I only met Michael Turner once. That was at Mike Mike's place in CDO. We had gone to a couple of places and had a few beers toge

Just seems unimaginable to suffer a violent death at an advanced age. I guess if some old guys act like the old guys I know back in Chicago, then they'd take no crap off a young Filipino and probably

Yes, she needs to Paul, in fact she is working now on her widow's visa, her son's US passport and all that is related to Michael and the "US Embassy"   As to the two guys, it's sad but nobody seems

smokey

un masked shooters... hummmm  3 hitmen  hummmm women not harmed even though they wintness ... hummmmm one is PG...... hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe they should ask themselves these questions...

i would have to say its possible one or both of the women were happy but their past BF was not..

Edited by smokey
Humboldt

Must of been hit by gunman  hired from out of the area ..

as no need to cover face's

its out of control even if some miracle,  they fine the shooter's ,, who will file a case against them

on the foreigner's behalf , I don't think it will be the girlfriends , as I suspect they are the beneficiaries .

the police are useless and its only going to get worst  in the future , every year I go back to Cebu since 04

crime is running a-muck ,,

the government has no control ,, just think how helpless the Philippines would be if the BIG killer comes to Town

Ebola will run a-muck, the Philippine government has no way in Hell to stop it

never fly to the Philippines w/a one way ticket  ,, when the shit hits the fan better grab ur family and get the hell out of the Philippines asap

Edited by Humboldt
Skywalker

It really does boil down to keeping a low manageable profile.  Doing business here is fraught with danger, because somebody, somewhere will be envious.  We are, after all, foreigners.

The very thin veneer of justice here is a sure indicator of how little resources are supplied to Lawmen and the Courts.

It's just one of the factors that people should consider when coming here to holiday or live.

The rule of Law and sense of fair play, that we take for granted in the West, just haven't evolved here yet.

Something to keep in mind always.

• Like 5
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

in these days of international cooperation,,wouldn't it be a "turnup" if the respective embassies got together as a collective and demanded justice,,instead of just a casual fone call about "foreigner Joe Blogs" getting shot,,robbed etc!

The spouse of a US embassy worker was murdered a couple years ago. The murder was recorded on camera. The men are free on bail for what is typically non bailable offense. 

You would think there would be some diplomatic pressure on that case... 

• Like 2
Headshot

16,160 murders/homicides in the 1st 7 months of this year, sourced today's manila bulletin

OK...so extrapolated out that works out to 27,700 murders per 100,000,000 people in a year or to 27.7 murders per 100,000. However, in the world murder statistics, the Philippines only admits to 8.8 murders per 100,000 people. You have to wonder why that is allowed to stand in the statistics. If it is that easy for us to check to find the real numbers, then it should be that easy for those who keep the statistics too. What that says to me is that the worldwide statistics probably have nothing to do with real numbers (as in...countries are playing with the numbers to make them seem lower than they really are). BTW, any number over 20 murders per 100,000 is considered extreme. Is the Philippines the worst? Not even close. Venezuela is at 53.7 murders per 100,000 people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

• Like 3
smokey

OK...so extrapolated out that works out to 27,700 murders per 100,000,000 people in a year or to 27.7 murders per 100,000. However, in the world murder statistics, the Philippines only admits to 8.8 murders per 100,000 people. You have to wonder why that is allowed to stand in the statistics. If it is that easy for us to check to find the real numbers, then it should be that easy for those who keep the statistics too. What that says to me is that the worldwide statistics probably have nothing to do with real numbers (as in...countries are playing with the numbers to make them seem lower than they really are). BTW, any number over 20 murders per 100,000 is considered extreme. Is the Philippines the worst? Not even close. Venezuela is at 53.7 murders per 100,000 people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

and where do they get this data ???     unemployment slips under 6% as economy thrives ...

Skywalker

There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

Can't remember who said that.  Was it Lloyd George?

Oops WiKi tells me it was Mark Twain.  But that wasn't even his real name was it?

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 1
Mikala

and where do they get this data ???     unemployment slips under 6% as economy thrives ...

Those unemployment figures are always a farce. I thought they only counted those folks that are still eligible to receive unemployment? Once you go beyond the 6 month or a year, then you might still be unemployed, but not counted against the nation's percentage of unemployed people, correct?

Then there are the folks that have never had a job that also don't get countred as being 'unemployed', right?

Note: I'm not an economist or whatever job that makes this information their passion. Just a simple(ton) engineer.

Edited by Mikala
Headshot

Don't be silly. They take the numbers the Philippine (or any other) government gives them as gospel.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, Daisy, she will never get it. She might as well move on. I only met Michael Turner once. That was at Mike Mike's place in CDO. We had gone to a couple of places and had a few beers together the one night. But, I had only heard of some of the issues he had with people in country. I am quite sure his murder will never be solved. Unfortunately, when we get too involved and piss off the wrong people, our lives are barely worth a bullet at that point. We, as foreigners, must learn to play the game the powers that be wish it to be played. Only then will we live in peace and harmony, in the Philippines. 

Yes, she needs to Paul, in fact she is working now on her widow's visa, her son's US passport and all that is related to Michael and the "US Embassy"

As to the two guys, it's sad but nobody seems to know them....I generate more interest here in LINC than the other expat who posted it in CDO yahoo group...huh!

This is what a mean that if you wish to be here for good, please in one or another show interest to other expats, it won't hurt. I always believe that only a fellow expat and their wives/partners can empathize in situation like this....yes there are authorities but, I would say, they too are not so familiar with different Embassies in the country than anyone of you here . This is truly SAD, I will post update if there is anything aside from the news.

• Like 7
Headshot

For anybody who is math challenged, the numbers equate to a 0.0277% chance of being murdered in any given year here. So, if the average lifespan is 65 here (just a guess), it seems then that each person living in the Philippines has approximately a 1.8% chance of being murdered during their lifetime (though I'm probably calculating that wrong).

Of course, there are things that you can do to increase or decrease your chance of being murdered. And...therein lies the key to living peacefully in the Philippines. Do everything in your ability to NOT make yourself anybody's target, and chances are good that you won't have to worry too much about being anybody's target.

Edited by Headshot

Yes, she needs to Paul, in fact she is working now on her widow's visa, her son's US passport and all that is related to Michael and the "US Embassy"

I hope she has some of his family to go to there. If so, that will certainly benefit both her and the boy. 

As to the two guys, it's sad but nobody seems to know them.

Someone knew them. Someone they were doing business with, or competing in business with, probably?

• Like 1
contraman

if the average lifespan is 65 here

Thank you

I have worked out what is wrong with me.

I've Been Dead for almost 12 years :)

• Like 5
Mikala

I've Been Dead for almost 12 years

Just seems unimaginable to suffer a violent death at an advanced age. I guess if some old guys act like the old guys I know back in Chicago, then they'd take no crap off a young Filipino and probably invite the guy to feck off. That would then result in the young guy going to get a gun and his buddy and kill you. Seems to fit the standard logic of thin skinned Filipinos, right?

Makes me wonder if I shot a guy with my taser if the electric jolt would cause him to pull the trigger of his gun (aimed at Contraman, of course)?

As for me, I avoid conflict. I try to control my temper and not make anyone angry with me. Better to be a live coward than a dead hero!

• Like 7