2 foreigners shot dead in Cagayan de Oro

CAGAYAN DE ORO - Two foreigners were shot dead in a beach resort in Opol town, Misamis Oriental Sunday afternoon, the police said.

The victims were identified as Robert Erich Loever, 67, and Baltazar Johann Erni, 78, said Opol police station chief Senior Inspector Alwin Baclao.

Baclao said based on the identification cards retrieved from the crime scene and from statements of their companions, both victims hailed from Switzerland.

Baclao added that he has requested for the passports of the victims to be brought to the police office.

He said both Loever and Erni were gunned down at the parking area near the entrance of D. Yasay Beach Resort around 1 p.m. Sunday.

He added the two victims were shot in the head and other parts of their bodies resulting in their instant deaths.

Baclao said the Swiss nationals’ Filipina partners, who were with them when the shooting happened, would serve as primary witnesses.

Reports said that before the incident, Loever and Erni, together with their partners, had a meal at the resort, but police could not yet confirm this.

Baclao said the victims came from the adjoining beach resort before the shooting.

It was learned that Loever’s fiancée is five months pregnant, while Erni’s companion, Rowelyn Jane Odchigue, is his girlfriend.

Unmasked shooters

Their female partners said the three unidentified gunmen did not wear any mask or any facial covering when they approached the victims. They were seen walking away from the crime scene after the shooting.

Baclao said investigators are discounting robbery as motive since no personal stuff or money was taken by the shooters from the victims.

The police, however, are still digging deeper into the motive of the shooting.

In the initial investigation by the police, Loever and Erni were residents at Xavier Estates, Fr. Mastersons Avenue in Barangay Upper Balulang, but it could not yet be determined how long they had been staying at the said posh housing community.

As of Sunday afternoon, Baclao said the relatives of the victims or the Swiss Embassy located in Makati City, Metro Manila were not informed yet about the incident.

It can be recalled that last year, American national Michael Alan Turner, together with his Filipina lover, were also killed at another beach resort in Opol.

Isolated case

Vice-governor Joey Pelaez, in a text message sent to Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro Sunday, has condemned the killing as he called on authorities to fast track the investigation that will lead to the identification of the gunmen.

“We condemn the shooting of foreign guests in the province of Misamis Oriental. We call on the [Philippine National Police] to immediately work on the apprehension of the perpetrators of this dastardly act,” Pelaez said.

“The impact of the shooting will definitely affect the tourism industry of the province, which the Provincial Government led by Governor Yevgeny Vincente Emano worked so hard to promote,” he said.

Pelaez, however, has assured the public that the slaying was an isolated incident and province is generally peaceful. (Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro)

By Jigger J. Jerusalem

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cagayan-de-oro/local-news/2014/10/05/2-foreigners-shot-dead-cagayan-de-oro-369444

• Like 1
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• SomeRandomGuy

• Daisy

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unfortunately, Daisy, she will never get it. She might as well move on. I only met Michael Turner once. That was at Mike Mike's place in CDO. We had gone to a couple of places and had a few beers toge

Just seems unimaginable to suffer a violent death at an advanced age. I guess if some old guys act like the old guys I know back in Chicago, then they'd take no crap off a young Filipino and probably

Yes, she needs to Paul, in fact she is working now on her widow's visa, her son's US passport and all that is related to Michael and the "US Embassy"   As to the two guys, it's sad but nobody seems

Thank you Daisy for posting this, did you know they? Were they part of the close knit expat community there in CDO? Did either of them own their own homes in their gf's name in Xavier Estates? 

May they both rest in peace and lets hope they catch whoever shot them and that justice will be done.

• Like 2

No one seems to know them Lee...we have been texting around since last night.....

Yes, we relly hope that these cases will be solved. Marissa, the widow of Michael Turner is longing for justice too.

quit_yume

superficially, it sounds a lot like that canadian case that james has been writing about.

• Like 2
Mikala

I'm stunned. Who would think you could die a violent death at age 67 or 78? Stuff like this makes me leery of being a full-time resident.

• Like 2
ellenbrook2001

Thank you Daisy for posting this, did you know they? Were they part of the close knit expat community there in CDO? Did either of them own their own homes in their gf's name in Xavier Estates? 

May they both rest in peace and lets hope they catch whoever shot them and that justice will be done.

what justice??????????????/

• Like 3
SomeRandomGuy

Will this make international news? Or only young backpackers in Thailand Is a story

Bah Humbug

• Like 3
easy44

Will this make international news? Or only young backpackers in Thailand Is a story

Bah Humbug

Possibly, if they had been found naked and raped.  Killing old farts is not lurid enough.

• Like 1
dnl_grout

We must wait for more real fact info...RIP

Mikala...Don't forget for one minute where you are, men in there twenty's and thirty's can't get that words from some one at 70 that look like almost dead

already can be laughed off as noise from some grandpa. This kind of shit goes on all the time, have you ever heard of a US city mayor being shot down

in front of an international airport and the shooters just drive away on a motorcycle? 

• Like 5
woodchopper

if the killers were clearly uncovered,,as per the article,, for ID purposes,,there does not seem a fear of being caught,, with severe ramnifications for the guilty? 

• Like 1
woodchopper

in these days of international cooperation,,wouldn't it be a "turnup" if the respective embassies got together as a collective and demanded justice,,instead of just a casual fone call about "foreigner Joe Blogs" getting shot,,robbed etc!

(i knew a fella,,mac jacksondavao,, got shot in his room,,50mtrs from front desk,,cctv insitu,,obvious same day atm withdrawal,,and very farken little done at all)

• Like 3

in these days of international cooperation,,wouldn't it be a "turnup" if the respective embassies got together as a collective and demanded justice,,instead of just a casual fone call about "foreigner Joe Blogs" getting shot,,robbed etc!

(i knew a fella,,mac jacksondavao,, got shot in his room,,50mtrs from front desk,,cctv insitu,,obvious same day atm withdrawal,,and very farken little done at all)

I'm still waiting for an embassy response from Yolanda!

• Like 1
Bill H

Remember the Marine Major who was killed by four rich kids in Manilla?  As I remember it, they killed him in front of a security camera, so it was all captured, plus it was witnessed by at least one Security Guard.  So, what happened?  The last I heard, the four teenagers were released on bail, which is against the law here for a Capital Crime.  Was there a trial?  Will there ever be?  Doubtful me thinks.

An interesting statistic would be the number of Foreigners who die here each year of other than natural causes and the number of those cases where the perp is caught, tried and convicted.  My guess would be many killed each year, few if any ever caught, tried or convicted of the crime.  Am I wrong?

• Like 3
SomeRandomGuy

Almost impossible to get any of that information.

I tried last year when i was told i was being a fear monger

Bah Humbug

• Like 1