Sign in to follow this  
Monsoon

Viili - Finnish yoghurt culture

Monsoon

I grew up in a community with many people whose grandparents were first generation immigrants from Finland. One of the many Finnish foods I enjoyed at friend's homes was a Finnish heirloom yoghurt called 'Viili'. For those of you who know / like it - this thread is an FYI to let everyone know that I am happy to share a starter culture with whoever may like one. 

Those of you who aren't familiar with it and would like to try it, are also welcome to a starter culture ( this is a few spoons of viili in a plastic bag). 

One of the cool things about viili is that it is a mesophilic culture - basically this means it is cultured at room temperature. To make more viili you simply take a spoon full or two and put it into a jar and top it off with milk, let it sit out loosely covered at room temp for about 8-12 hours and voila!  It really is that easy. I just brought back with me two different strains of the viili culture. One seems to have the traditional viili consistency - very stretchy and roapy, the other seems to be more like traditional yoghurt. 

I usually eat mine plain or with a few dash of real maple syrup. It is also very nice with fresh fruit mixed in. Basically anything you would mix in with yoghurt can be put into viili.To ensure a strong restart of the culture I have been making mine with real milk , not UHT, but eventually I will try it with UHT to see how it goes. 

I live in Makati so anyone is welcome to pick some up from my place. I do get down to Cebu rather often so if there is interest I will pass some along to someone there and they can 'pick up the baton' so to speak. 

• Like 1

KennyF

To ensure a strong restart of the culture I have been making mine with real milk , not UHT, but eventually I will try it with UHT to see how it goes.

I use bulgaria culture (Nestle) and with fresh milk unavailable I find best results by far are UTH milk that is 100% cows milk

The only 100% milk I've found is Alaska brand from New Zealand.

I add a rice measure of Birch tree powdered 100% milk and end up with a product very much like the Nestle one.

Nothing to do with your Finnish product but I thought you might like to know that the 100% UTH can give a good result.

KonC

• Like 1

Kim_
One of the cool things about viili is that it is a mesophilic culture - basically this means it is cultured at room temperature. To make more viili you simply take a spoon full or two and put it into a jar and top it off with milk, let it sit out loosely covered at room temp for about 8-12 hours and voila!  It really is that easy. I just brought back with me two different strains of the viili culture. One seems to have the traditional viili consistency - very stretchy and roapy, the other seems to be more like traditional yoghurt. 

Thanks for the good info. How much milk do you add (max) to get a good consistency? 

Since I'm actually born in Finland I might try this when I'm back in Sweden, if I find viili in store. But Swedish youghurt is good too, should work the same, hopefully.

SomeRandomGuy

U can just use plain yogurt with active culture as a starter too if u dont have access to any others.

Bah Humbug

Monsoon

Thanks for the good info. How much milk do you add (max) to get a good consistency? 

Since I'm actually born in Finland I might try this when I'm back in Sweden, if I find viili in store. But Swedish youghurt is good too, should work the same, hopefully.

I take a quart sized jar and put a couple of tablespoons, maybe 1/4 cup at most of it and top it off with milk. Ambient temp here is on the high end of the spectrum that it does best at so it tends to culture pretty  fast here. Back in the states in the cooler months I would let it go overnight. 

I have read somewhere that some commercial manufactured viili won't reproduce forever due to the manufacturing process. I have never had commercial viili - only that made from starters, some of them originally brought to the US a 100 years ago. 

• Like 1