Double Pole - Single Throw Switch

SkyMan

You would think these would be fairly common here given the VECO power supply of 2 110V lines.  But about your only manufactured solution is a breaker which is bulky and may not be necessary.  A good use of such a switch would be on the line supplying your POU water heater.  A regular switch as commonly used would only shut off one of the 110V lines leaving the other line live which is not good in a shower situation.  I have a device I'm installing which uses both lines and ground so the typical switch wouldn't work and I didn't want to use a breaker.  After looking around Ace and Home Builders a while I gave up finding one and bought a 2 gang Akari brand Single-Single.  This pair of switches are each about 1.5 inch sq and placed next to each other with no space between.  When I got it home I took my soldering iron and melted the 2 plastic rockers together so they function as one switch.  Now I could have just labeled the switch to be both switched the same way but I figured doing this made it a little more fool proof.

DPST switches are made and sold, but maybe not common there. 

RogerDat

Greetings! Good idea, and plenty of replacements available.

You would think these would be fairly common here given the VECO power supply of 2 110V lines.  But about your only manufactured solution is a breaker which is bulky and may not be necessary...........After looking around Ace and Home Builders

The problem was you went to Ace and Home Builders.

If you want to buy electrical supplies you should go to an electrical supply house like Tristar in Mandaue. They have most everything in stock or can order from Manila low voltage less than 1kV double pole switches all the way up to 75kV switchgear.

• Like 2
to_dave007

The problem was you went to Ace and Home Builders.

If you want to buy electrical supplies you should go to an electrical supply house like Tristar in Mandaue. They have most everything in stock or can order from Manila low voltage less than 1kV double pole switches all the way up to 75kV switchgear.

There are also two specialty electrical supply places on Plaridel just up from the Carbon market. First is between Progresso and Lincoln on east side. Second is between Lincoln and Magallanes on same side of road. I was in both of these right on Plaridel. Exceptionally hard to park here.. I took taxi.

I'm told there are 2 more within about 200 yards more, but I didn't look for them.

Bought stuff here that I couldn't buy at Citi hardware, Ace or Wilcon. They are busy.. staff helpful and knowledgeable.

<<sorry can't remember name of the places.. just where they are located.>>

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

Where is Tristar located?

Let me google that for you .................. > Google > Tristar + Mandaue

There are also two specialty electrical supply places on Plaridel just up from the Carbon market. First is between Progresso and Lincoln on east side. Second is between Lincoln and Magallanes on same side of road. I was in both of these right on Plaridel. Exceptionally hard to park here.. I took taxi.

I'm told there are 2 more within about 200 yards more, but I didn't look for them.

Bought stuff here that I couldn't buy at Citi hardware, Ace or Wilcon. They are busy.. staff helpful and knowledgeable.

<<sorry can't remember name of the places.. just where they are located.>>

So you want me to go searching around Carbon for places you can't even remember the names of or where they are exactly located ? This has to be the biggest waste of a post I ever read ! ! ! 

I stay far away from Carbon market, because of the traffic, no parking and pollution. There is nothing around Carbon that can't be found anywhere else.

"Go to Carbon" is  the catch all phrase of everyone in Cebu who really does not have the answer of where to buy something. 

Please prey tell what you bought there that you could not buy at Citi, Ace or Wilcon. I am dying to know. 

to_dave007

So you want me to go searching around Carbon for places you can't even remember the names of or where they are exactly located ? This has to be the biggest waste of a post I ever read ! ! !

You must have missed the part where I said that both are "ON PLARIDEL" "just UP from the market".. not IN the market.. and "First is between Progresso and Lincoln on east side. Second is between Lincoln and Magallanes on same side of road." Given that that's not much more than a 100 yard stretch of road I would think that even you could find it, especially when it seems you know how to Google things. Gee.. why don't I Google that for you "electrical supply Plaridel Cebu"... here's what I found in 15 seconds:

SHURE BRITE ELECTRICAL SUPPLY

032 2538898

032 3569698

125 Plaridel Street, Cebu City, Cebu

ATLAS ELECTRICAL SUPPLY

77 Plaridel, Cebu City, Cebu

I bought a 150 Amp GE Service panel and breakers, large roll of 3 wire cable (with ground), and galvanized ground rod for use at the house. Oh.. I also bought a SPDT switch, and if I needed to find a DPDT switch, this is where I would go to find it. Satisfied?

And please.. if you think my post is wasted.. just complain to Paul instead of making a fool of yourself here. You owe me an apology.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

You must have missed the part where I said that both are "ON PLARIDEL" "just UP from the market".. not IN the market.. and "First is between Progresso and Lincoln on east side. Second is between Lincoln and Magallanes on same side of road." Given that that's not much more than a 100 yard stretch of road I would think that even you could find it, especially when it seems you know how to Google things. Gee.. why don't I Google that for you "electrical supply Plaridel Cebu"... here's what I found in 15 seconds:

SHURE BRITE ELECTRICAL SUPPLY

032 2538898

032 3569698

125 Plaridel Street, Cebu City, Cebu

ATLAS ELECTRICAL SUPPLY

77 Plaridel, Cebu City, Cebu

I bought a 150 Amp GE Service panel and breakers, large roll of 3 wire cable (with ground), and galvanized ground rod for use at the house. Oh.. I also bought a SPDT switch, and if I needed to find a DPDT switch, this is where I would go to find it. Satisfied?

And please.. if you think my post is wasted.. just complain to Paul instead of making a fool of yourself here. You owe me an apology.

Ohhh I am sorry I didn't know we needed to follow backwood slang like going a few dog leg clicks past old Tuckers farm near the chestnut tree to follow your directions. Thanks for the exact addresses, maybe next time you can give the geo coordinates.  

What size 3 wire service cable did you use and insulation type ? Did you use a mechanical ground lug or a cadweld ? 

After the typhoon last year, Tristar was able to get me some Raychem HVSY-1522S-FS 8kV flat strap cable splice kits faster and for not much more than what I get them wholesale in the US and shipped. I donated my time and expertise to get the power back up in the northern parts of Cebu after Haiyan. Tristar couldn't get a Spike Tool faster than I was able to go to Danao and have a gun maker fabricate me one I designed. It was nice knowing rather than making guns that kill people, this spike tool could of saved a few lineman their lives.  Even if I knew about Shure Brite or Atlas at the time, I still would not want to waste my time going near Carbon ! 

I don't need to complain to Paul I am a fool. He already knows. 

Headshot

Tristar Corporation

168 Ouano Ave., Mandaue Reclamation Area,
Subangdaku, Mandaue City, Cebu, Philippines

http://cebutristarcorporation.blogspot.com/p/about-us.html 

You know Don, it wouldn't have taken you any more effort to just post the location than to post the sarcastic digs you have been throwing around in this thread. If you think you have the information other members are looking for and you want to help, then please post it. If all you want to do is abuse other members because you somehow think you are superior, then please keep it to yourself.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
redman69

around a shower you can use a low voltage switch and a remote contactor for making and breaking the circuit. Just use a transformer at the contactor and low voltage coil.

this way you would keep the high voltage away from the shower.

Or buy a whole unit with all this inside and not be exposed to any electricity. The water flow switch turns the element on.

• Like 1

You know Don, it wouldn't have taken you any more effort to just post the location than to post the sarcastic digs you have been throwing around in this thread. If you think you have the information other members are looking for and you want to help, then please post it. If all you want to do is abuse other members because you somehow think you are superior, then please keep it to yourself.

You mad bro ? 

I am sorry Sir, I don't remember the exact address of every electrical supply house I have ever visited.  But if anyone needs a ride there I can pick you up at your house and drive you there in my multi cab for FREE. 

I don't think I am superior to everyone else, but that is a funny comment coming from someone who thinks they are the know it all expert of everything. I am surprised you don't know about Tristar already, since you built a house here. May I ask where you bought all your electrical supplies for your build ? 

Just so everyone understands, Tristar is not a place you browse the isles, your have to know the exact part or catalog number of the items you want to buy. It is a place the professional contractors and superior gods like myself shop !  

To stay on topic of the thread, it would be nice if Skyman posted a picture of his creation. 

• Like 1

around a shower you can use a low voltage switch and a remote contactor for making and breaking the circuit. Just use a transformer at the contactor and low voltage coil.

this way you would keep the high voltage away from the shower.

Or buy a whole unit with all this inside and not be exposed to any electricity. The water flow switch turns the element on.

Tristar also sells GFCI receptacles/breakers if anyone wants to stay up to code with the rest of the world and install for their shower heater and around the sink areas. 

It is so funny Ace, Wilcon and Citi don't even sell something as basic as a GFCI......  :killself:

• Like 1