BB Box, that time of year again.

smokey

Corruption major reason for Port of Manila congestion - Bam Aquino

By: Ernie Reyes, InterAksyon.com

October 3, 2014 2:03 PM

interphoto_1410166132.jpg

InterAksyon.com

The online news portal of TV5

MANILA, Philippines -- Corruption, in the form of extortion and other illegal activity, is a prime contributor to the congestion plaguing the Port of Manila, Senator Paolo Benigno Aquino IV said Friday.

Aquino urged the Bureau of Customs and Philippine Ports Authority to take drastic action against corruption, saying if the government is serious about easing the congestion at the port, “we should get rid of illegal activities such as extortion because they hamper the delivery of goods and contribute to the increase in prices of goods and services.”

“The government must show that it means business by going hard against these individuals who are making a living through illegal means,” he stressed.

Aquino’s statement echoed an earlier observation by Malacanang that extortion in and around the port contributes to port congestion.

During the Senate’s first hearing on the port congestion, Aquino also flared up over complaints by stakeholders about the “along the way” fees collected from them.

“While decongesting our port is the main priority, concerned government agencies must also look at other factors that contribute to this problem, like corruption,” the senator stressed.

“Ultimately, the consumers will bear the full brunt of this because shipping companies will pass on to them their additional losses,” he added as he urged victims of extortion to file complaints.

“We need the cooperation of everyone to combat corruption. As they say, evil will prevail if good men do nothing,” he stressed.

Aquino said complaints can be coursed through the WASAK or Walang Asenso sa Kotong hotlines -- 16565 and 0908-8816565.

Monsoon

Large bags of miniature candy bars

These do not fare too well on the trip over. They end up in pretty bad condition upon arrival. (Based on past personal experience). I suppose the recipient is happy to get whatever, but we have stopped putting them in our boxes we send to ourselves. 

We pay $60 for delivery to Makati from Las Vegas. Have four or five enroute to ourselves right now. 

the congestion at the manila ports due to the truck ban (recently removed) has slowed shipping time considerably. 

Yes our last batch of BB boxes arrived noticeably later than past shipments. To the point where I thought we had finally became part of the lost BB box statistics. 

• Like 1

Scruffydog

Didn't even realize there was an LBC in Florida.

All are boxes from the Middle GA area leave out of Jacksonville.

Why are people always mentioning shipping spam? I can buy that anywhere I've ever lived in the Philippines.

We always ship it also. A lot of the stuff we send, I see over here

Scruffydog

These do not fare too well on the trip over. They end up in pretty bad condition upon arrival. (Based on past personal experience). I suppose the recipient is happy to get whatever, but we have stopped putting them in our boxes we send to ourselves. 

We pay $60 for delivery to Makati from Las Vegas. Have four or five enroute to ourselves right now. 

Yes our last batch of BB boxes arrived noticeably later than past shipments. To the point where I thought we had finally became part of the lost BB box statistics. 

I too have noticed the times getting as much as a month longer

rfm010

i certainly wouldn't deny that corruption has made things slower than necessary, but on top of that:

https://www.forexworld.us/Home/BoxTracker.aspx

City-wide Truck Ban in Manila

Last February 24, 2014, Mayor Joseph Estrada enacted a truck ban as a traffic-control measure within the city limits of Manila. But the congestion simply shifted from Manila's city streets to the container ports, which handles roughly 3.7 million containers per year.

The resulting slowdown in the releases of containers created a chain-reaction, delaying the discharge of new containers from the vessels docked at the crowded Manila port facilities. As a counter-measure, the shipping lines have decided to delay the deliveries of containers from the trans-loading port of Kaohsiung, Taiwan, so as not to add to the worsening port congestion in Manila.

We regret any and all inconvenience that this is causing our valued customers. This situation, however, affects ALL shipments bound for Manila. The estimated time of arrivals of our containers have changed on a daily basis.

Meantime, we are doing everything we can to expedite the arrival of containers by working with the shipping lines to prioritize our shipments. Please be assured at all balikbayan boxes will be delivered, as our motto says, "dahil kailangang makarating."

smokey

i certainly wouldn't deny that corruption has made things slower than necessary, but on top of that:

https://www.forexworld.us/Home/BoxTracker.aspx

City-wide Truck Ban in Manila

Last February 24, 2014, Mayor Joseph Estrada enacted a truck ban as a traffic-control measure within the city limits of Manila. But the congestion simply shifted from Manila's city streets to the container ports, which handles roughly 3.7 million containers per year.

The resulting slowdown in the releases of containers created a chain-reaction, delaying the discharge of new containers from the vessels docked at the crowded Manila port facilities. As a counter-measure, the shipping lines have decided to delay the deliveries of containers from the trans-loading port of Kaohsiung, Taiwan, so as not to add to the worsening port congestion in Manila.

We regret any and all inconvenience that this is causing our valued customers. This situation, however, affects ALL shipments bound for Manila. The estimated time of arrivals of our containers have changed on a daily basis.

Meantime, we are doing everything we can to expedite the arrival of containers by working with the shipping lines to prioritize our shipments. Please be assured at all balikbayan boxes will be delivered, as our motto says, "dahil kailangang makarating."

Well lets see if you were mayor and 3.7 million heavy trucks drove on your city streets yet you're city received nothing for major repair these trucks caused just what would you do?

• Like 1

smokey
You must be buddies with the guys up there by now. Ask what companies are the ones which can't/won't pay the fees and let

well boxes take months and the rules change daily lets say you take the job you bid based on the fee collected at time of contract but along the way the fee changes now at best you will loose money what you will do depends on how deep are your pockets and how much your reputation is worth to you

Jester

Thanks for the input.  I don't care what she puts in the box's I simply smile and say yes dear. Unless it looks like something that will not survive the trip.

How could any self respecting Filippina not send spam?  Would have the family wondering if she is mad at them!  American chocolate no matter how cheap or in what condition is treasured. 

After reading the reports on BB box company's supplied by you guys I only use LBC now.  Interestingly they are the cheapest!  Last year the cost to ship was $85 Florida to Letey.   LBC is loosely organized here in Florida. The box's take a bit to obtain and are traded among the ladies, they seem to enjoy this. On the plus side the agent does come to the house and pick up the box when ready to ship.

I have offered to drop the box's at her house, but she insists on picking them up. She stores them in her garage until the truck comes through.  I would guess the truck must stay off the interstate as it could not possibly get through a weigh station.

LBC is serving southern states now, 

Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi and Tennessee # 205-218-2457

Florida   904-228-0216

N&S Carolina   803-466-8702

Whiner

Salty Dog

Didn't even realize there was an LBC in Florida. ,,

LBC is fairly widespread thru the western world,,in particular.

LBC 'word of mouth" is that they transport whatever will fit in the box,,maybe give the woman agent a pre pickup call to bring a trolley?

I checked LBC's web site and they don't show a single branch in Florida.

They have a few partner agencies, but even those are in Jacksonville only. That could be hundreds of miles from many parts of Florida.

At least that's what their website shows.

Edited by Salty Dog

TorJay

Everyone knows I have been in manila for 6 weeks trying to get my cargo there are a few containers of boxes that have be listed as abandoned seems the tax doubled and the freight forwarders cant or dont pay causing the boxes to just sit these boxes will I am told be sold at auction please be careful on who you hire research current news on BB boxes and current problems lf I was still in arizona would I send a bb box now?

I don't think it is a tax Smokey.  It seems that it is a fine for imported cargo that overstays the free 5 day period in Port.

"The government will impose new fines higher by as much as 1,977.70 percent against imported cargo overstaying in any of the container ports of Manila, Batangas and Subic, starting next month as part of measures to address port congestion."

Read more:

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/379601/economy/business/govt-to-impose-up-to-2-000-increase-in-fines-on-overstaying-cargo

• Like 2

Jester

I checked LBC's web site and they don't show a single branch in Florida.

They have a few partner agencies, but even those are in Jacksonville only. That could be hundreds of miles from many parts of Florida.

At least that's what their website shows.

Philippine business websites are soooooo   baaaaaad!   We know of LBC because we are friends with Fil/Am couples and it is spread by the grapevine.

Jacksonville has a large Philippine community, I have eaten at the Jeepney Stop there.         

The phone #'s I posted are off the LBC box and may have been good when the box's were made, now, I don't know I have never had to call.

Best info I have at the moment, but happy to track anything down.                        Whiner

smokey

I don't think it is a tax Smokey.  It seems that it is a fine for imported cargo that overstays the free 5 day period in Port.

"The government will impose new fines higher by as much as 1,977.70 percent against imported cargo overstaying in any of the container ports of Manila, Batangas and Subic, starting next month as part of measures to address port congestion."

Read more:

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/379601/economy/business/govt-to-impose-up-to-2-000-increase-in-fines-on-overstaying-cargo

two newspaper storys on this subject

Gov’t to seize cargo containers abandoned for over 30 days
By Zinnia Dela Peña (The Philippine Star) | Updated June 30, 2014 - 12:00am
 0  9 googleplus1  1

MANILA, Philippines - The Bureau of Customs (BOC) will seize shipping containers that remain unattended for more than 30 days as part of efforts to further decongest the country’s major ports and roads as well as facilitate the efficient processing and movement of goods.

In a statement, the BOC said it would implement a 30-day cargo seizure measure that will ensure that no cargo overstays in one port.

The congestion is mainly due to overstaying cargo containers, exacerbated by the Manila daytime truck ban.

by Raymond Leslie Antonio

September 30, 2014

Share this:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Abandoned cargoes in Manila ports and other collection districts are now the subject of new guidelines under a memorandum order issued by the Bureau of Customs (BOC).

BOC Commissioner John P. Sevilla issued Customs Memorandum Order No. 18-2014 to all collectors of ports and sub-ports “where such package or importation shall initiate and conclude abandonment proceedings.”

“All requests for deferral or delay in abandonment proceedings or lifting of any abandonment order must be done in writing by the consignee and sent directly to the commissioner for approval,” he said.

Under Customs rules and regulations, a shipping container without import entry beyond the reglamentary period of 30 days from arrival shall be declared abandoned.

But an importer may file a motion to lift the order as part of due process. If the importer has valid reason, the declaration of abandonment will be lifted and he will be allowed to pay duties and taxes.

Majorsco

two newspaper storys on this subject

Gov’t to seize cargo containers abandoned for over 30 days

By Zinnia Dela Peña (The Philippine Star) | Updated June 30, 2014 - 12:00am

0 9 googleplus1 1

MANILA, Philippines - The Bureau of Customs (BOC) will seize shipping containers that remain unattended for more than 30 days as part of efforts to further decongest the country’s major ports and roads as well as facilitate the efficient processing and movement of goods.

In a statement, the BOC said it would implement a 30-day cargo seizure measure that will ensure that no cargo overstays in one port.

The congestion is mainly due to overstaying cargo containers, exacerbated by the Manila daytime truck ban.

by Raymond Leslie Antonio

September 30, 2014

Share this:

Abandoned cargoes in Manila ports and other collection districts are now the subject of new guidelines under a memorandum order issued by the Bureau of Customs (BOC).

BOC Commissioner John P. Sevilla issued Customs Memorandum Order No. 18-2014 to all collectors of ports and sub-ports “where such package or importation shall initiate and conclude abandonment proceedings.”

“All requests for deferral or delay in abandonment proceedings or lifting of any abandonment order must be done in writing by the consignee and sent directly to the commissioner for approval,” he said.

Under Customs rules and regulations, a shipping container without import entry beyond the reglamentary period of 30 days from arrival shall be declared abandoned.

But an importer may file a motion to lift the order as part of due process. If the importer has valid reason, the declaration of abandonment will be lifted and he will be allowed to pay duties and taxes.

This seems reasonable, but I don't think 30 days is good. Should be 60 or 90, considering hoe inefficient things are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokey

This seems reasonable, but I don't think 30 days is good. Should be 60 or 90, considering hoe inefficient things are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo .... this opens a person with cargo to beg and plead for the people that need to sign to clear and as another story in the news stated this is called a ((( “along the way” fees  )) and the 30 days include weekends... holidays... days office is closed due to weather and the number of people that need to sign is over 20 and the people are not in one location its like the show amazing race

Edited by smokey

Salty Dog

• Like 2