Sign in to follow this  
Jester

BB Box, that time of year again.

Jester

Here in SW Florida the first 2 box's from LBC cost $5 each.  After that they are free.  The wife has been gathering up items for the box's and started to pack them, years past it was 1 then 2 now 2 is not enough and a third one is being filled.

The array of items going in the box's is mind boggling.  From school supplies to cans of hash to spam, cleaning products, articles of clothing, beef jerky, tools a couple of nice LCD Mag Lites, chocolate and cookies.  Large bags of miniature candy bars are opened and every tiny little  crevice is filled!

Too late now but next time I will add up the $$ of one of these box's, I think it will be shocking.

Then the weight, I am not a big strong guy but I am sure that 2 of me could not lift one of these box's. I have no means to weight them, but would like to know?  A little 70 year old Philippina lady is the shipping agent, she will come and muscle these behemoths into her mini van by herself if I am not here!!

Another adventure in being married to a Philippina..                     Whiner

• Like 2

Salty Dog

Didn't even realize there was an LBC in Florida.

woodchopper

Didn't even realize there was an LBC in Florida. ,,

LBC is fairly widespread thru the western world,,in particular.

LBC 'word of mouth" is that they transport whatever will fit in the box,,maybe give the woman agent a pre pickup call to bring a trolley?

cebubird

Here in SW Florida the first 2 box's from LBC cost $5 each.  After that they are free.  The wife has been gathering up items for the box's and started to pack them, years past it was 1 then 2 now 2 is not enough and a third one is being filled.

The array of items going in the box's is mind boggling.  From school supplies to cans of hash to spam, cleaning products, articles of clothing, beef jerky, tools a couple of nice LCD Mag Lites, chocolate and cookies.  Large bags of miniature candy bars are opened and every tiny little  crevice is filled!

Too late now but next time I will add up the $$ of one of these box's, I think it will be shocking.

Then the weight, I am not a big strong guy but I am sure that 2 of me could not lift one of these box's. I have no means to weight them, but would like to know?  A little 70 year old Philippina lady is the shipping agent, she will come and muscle these behemoths into her mini van by herself if I am not here!!

Another adventure in being married to a Philippina..                     Whiner

Obviously the $5 a box is a misprint-maybe $55 for the smallest box.

BTW, where is SW Florida are you?

Majorsco

Obviously the $5 a box is a misprint-maybe $55 for the smallest box.

$5 dollars is correct.  You have to buy the initial boxes.  Replacements for future shipments are free.  The shipping cost is separate and varies depending on where its going.  I used LBC from Chicago and shipped probably 50 boxes over the years.  Initially it was $90/box to Mindanao, but later it lowered to $75/box.  Very reliable, and I never lost a box, and not a single one was opened by anyone buy my family after delivery.

• Like 1

cebubird

$5 dollars is correct.  You have to buy the initial boxes.  Replacements for future shipments are free.  The shipping cost is separate and varies depending on where its going.  I used LBC from Chicago and shipped probably 50 boxes over the years.  Initially it was $90/box to Mindanao, but later it lowered to $75/box.  Very reliable, and I never lost a box, and not a single one was opened by anyone buy my family after delivery.

Sorry--we're talking 2 different things here.

When I tell somebody how much a bb costs, I ALWAYS mean what it costs to ship it. Buying a box is no big deal. Where I always shipped there was never any mention of cost of an empty box.

Mikala

I used to pay the 5 bucks for the box and then get a refund when I shipped the box. I totaled the cost for the usual box that I sent several times a year with spam, chocolates, beef jerkey, etc... and it was usually 5 to 6 hundred USD. Never lost a box. Great service. Depending on my location, sometimes a young Filipino guy would pick up the box, other times I'd drop it off at the local Filipino store. Have sent BB boxes from California, Hawaii, Arizona, Michigan, and Minnesota. Just found a service that will do it from Korea.

• Like 1

Salty Dog

Why are people always mentioning shipping spam? I can buy that anywhere I've ever lived in the Philippines.

• Like 4

Mikala

Why are people always mentioning shipping spam? I can buy that anywhere I've ever lived in the Philippines.

I always shipped spam because it was relatively cheap and Filipinos love it. When it came to filling the BB, I asked for suggestions and was always told "spam!".

Now though, seems ridiculous to send much of anything. Most everything is available locally.

Haven't sent a BB in more than 4 years, but interested to send items that truly are not available locally to stock my micro-condo. Might even send my tools from Korea via BB when I'm done here.

Edited by Mikala

rfm010

for those thinking about sending boxes in time for christmas, you'd better get a move on.   the congestion at the manila ports due to the truck ban (recently removed) has slowed shipping time considerably. 

• Like 1

bmoore

I always feel silly buying cases of spam. But that is what they like as well as corned beef, peanut butter, chocolate, vitamins and 4 boxes of other things my wife accumulates.

• Like 1

smokey

Everyone knows I have been in manila for 6 weeks trying to get my cargo there are a few containers of boxes that have be listed as abandoned seems the tax doubled and the freight forwarders cant or dont pay causing the boxes to just sit these boxes will I am told be sold at auction please be careful on who you hire research current news on BB boxes and current problems lf I was still in arizona would I send a bb box now?

• Like 2

KennyF

I always feel silly buying cases of spam. But that is what they like as well as corned beef, peanut butter, chocolate, vitamins and 4 boxes of other things my wife accumulates.

Spam in Australia costs about 210 pesos.

In my local super market here on Camiguin it costs 118 pesos.

Why would you send Spam???

KonC

Majorsco

for those thinking about sending boxes in time for christmas, you'd better get a move on.

When I still lived in the US and was shipping to Mindanao for Christmas, I'd make sure I sent by Sept 15th at the latest, so I'd be sure it would be delivered in time.  Those going to Luzon or Cebu, obviously don't need to be so early.  Can't speak for the other provinces.

Mikala

Spam in Australia costs about 210 pesos. In my local super market here on Camiguin it costs 118 pesos. Why would you send Spam???

Costco charges $2.94 per can (8 pack) for Spam. That works out to 132p. Walmart is $2.64, that's 118p. If it's only 118p in Camiguin, then it's a much better deal than Costco in the USA.

Note: I don't send foodstuffs anymore.