Sign in to follow this  
Kreole

My cats disappeared

Kreole

For those living in the province, this may be of interest if you have pet cats.  I live on Siquijor island in Baragay Sandugan.  I believe that my 3 adult cats were recently taken by a python.  My cats, all big, healthy adults disappeared in about 2 month period of time.  They were all fixed, so they did not prowl or leave the property.  It seemed like every 2-3 weeks one would disappear.  They were very much homebodies, even though they were outside cats.  All were born and grew up on the property and were part of the family.  The had regular feedings, so they mostly hung around the house, sleeping, playing or eating.  It came as quite a shock when the first one disappeared.  We looked all over the property and beyond for any trace.  The property has lots of brush, wooded and open areas.  We searched everywhere, but there was no trace.

I don't believe that Filipinos steal cats.  On the contrary, they abandon them quite often.  And we don't live near the road so no road kill, and the neighbors were on the look out as well, my having offered a reward for their sighting or return.  In addition, although some Filipinos eat dog, I have not heard of them eating cats.  After eliminating various possibilities why all 3 cats (or any one of them for that matter) would disappear, I can only suspect a python.  I know the cats roam around the property which encompasses maybe 2 acres fronted by Sandugan beach.  They have regular pathways they travel which was their custom.  So, it is my suspicion that a python recently moved onto the property and picked up their fresh scent on one of their pathways and just waited, being a very patient ambush predator.

The predator had to be large enough to subdue and swallow a full grown cat that was most certainly scratching and biting for its life.  The more curious thing is that it took all 3 cats within 2 months.  Normally, according to my reading, a good meal will retire a python or constrictor to rest and digest its food, in which case it may not hunt for months.  There are some large monitors in the area, but it would be blind luck for one to stumble on a cat and be able to catch it.  And there are no other predators large or capable of taking a cat, aside from an eagle, but that is pretty much out of the question since there are no sighting.  We know at least one of the cats disappeared during the day, as he was seen in the morning of his disappearance and did not return for afternoon meal.  And our cats never miss a meal.

Several of us have walked the property a number times and no trace of them was found; no signs of a struggle, no hair, etc.  The neighbors in this barangay will kill and eat any large snake or monitor lizard, so they are quite wary and I haven't seen the resident ones for the entire year.  If you have any other insights to share that may be able to unravel this mystery, I would much appreciate it.

Alfred E. Neuman

Go to the bushes in the daytime, pythons will simply stay in the shade.

easy44

Maybe a local with a pellet gun who wanted to go big game hunting?

Headshot

Maybe a local with a pellet gun who wanted to go big game hunting?

Or one who simply didn't like cats...

easy44

Or one who simply didn't like cats...

I like mine better!

Monsoon

I live on Siquijor

You did say no tracks left behind so must be either a wak wak or manananggal. They are real, just ask your neighbors. 

• Like 1

Salty Dog

Someone shooting cats, in all likelihood wouldn't mess with removing or hiding them after the deed was done.

• Like 1

Davaoeno

maybe one of your neighbors is providing better cat food than you are !! 

• Like 2

A_Simple_Man

maybe one of your neighbors is providing better cat food than you are !! 

Or just likes cats.  We have a cat that is well fed (foreigner cat food) and well pampered but when let out she goes direct to the neighbor's house (who lets her in when she thinks we are not looking.)  My best guess is they like clean, well fed, pampered cats as pets but they want someone else to do all the work.  If I am right then the pets in the opening post will be allowed out to come home when they are skinny and dirty and need to be taken care of again.

Edit:  Another time we lost the cat was when she got up on top of the wall, jumped or fell on the other side, and could not find her way back.  Did you look around the other side of your walls?

manananggal

I heard witches still use cats as 'familiars' but mainly black ones.  Were they black cats?

Edited by A_Simple_Man

Alfred E. Neuman

That must be it! I have two stray cats that I feed regularly. They're gainin weight

Headshot

A cat will kill any python it finds until the snakes are over two meters long. From two meters to three meters it's a toss-up whether the cat or the python will win the fight, and once a snake is over three meters long, the cat will either run or die. Cats really hate pythons, and do not tolerate the younger ones because they will eat kittens. I had a neighborhood cat kill (and partially eat) a two-meter python in my yard about a year ago. Of course, my wife and maid were delighted.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Tinbum

Caveat lector

As a definite cat lover (after a slight childhood traumatization by a group of older kids with dogs, you get the picture) i offer sympathy but no answer. I personally believe that cats choose their humans, not the other way around!! So to have so many, you must truly be a nice man   :kissass:

Edited by Tinbum
  • Like 1

liquido

Im curious...Are pythons known to be on your island?I hate frickin snakes

Edited by liquido
  • Like 1

Headshot

Im curious...Are pythons known to be on your island?I hate frickin snakes

Pythons are on every island big enough to have a name in the Philippines. Don't worry about them. They seldom get big enough to eat a man.

• Like 1

contraman

lostcat.jpg