Foriegners Killed In P.I.

We here about expats and foreign nationals getting killed in PI ,

It appears looking at the statistics that the most at risk are Koreans and Chinese.

Something that those of us that have spent substantial time in PI are fully aware of, 

But I thought I would put a few statistics in here for others too see.

If anyone can add to it , all the better

Korean

Last year, 12 Koreans were shot or stabbed to death; but no suspects have been taken into custody.

Chinese

A total of 12 kidnappings, 10 murders and three robberies targeted at Chinese citizens have occurred in the Philippines from Jan 1 to Sept 18, in which 18 Chinese nationals were killed and another 12 were victims of thefts, statistics from the Chinese Embassy in the Philippines have indicated. Regrettably, no murderers, robbers or thieves have so far been prosecuted or even detained by the Philippine authorities.

It appears that their Asian neighbours are at more risk than westerners ,

Just an observation is the complete failure to achieve not even one conviction for the above crimes.

Are these crimes only investigated if it is the rich or connected that is the victims?

My brother inlaw , a Filipino , was murdered earlier this year , shot 4 times , and to my knowledge all the police

have actually done in any way is to attend the scene on the day , and impound my Yamaha that he was on when it happened,

Apart from that nudda . The Philippines must have one of the lowest conversion rates for solving homicides in the world.

• Like 2
Davaoeno

where are the numbers for westerners ?  Its hard to form an opinion with only half of the facts

• Like 1

where are the numbers for westerners ? Its hard to form an opinion with only half of the facts

Agreed , could not find 2014 results on westerners, which would be more relevant to this .

Edited by oztony

We here about expats and foreign nationals getting killed in PI ,

It appears looking at the statistics that the most at risk are Koreans and Chinese.

Something that those of us that have spent substantial time in PI are fully aware of, 

But I thought I would put a few statistics in here for others too see.

Korean

Last year, 12 Koreans were shot or stabbed to death; but no suspects have been taken into custody.

Chinese

A total of 12 kidnappings, 10 murders and three robberies targeted at Chinese citizens have occurred in the Philippines from Jan 1 to Sept 18, in which 18 Chinese nationals were killed and another 12 were victims of thefts, statistics from the Chinese Embassy in the Philippines have indicated. Regrettably, no murderers, robbers or thieves have so far been prosecuted or even detained by the Philippine authorities.

Just an observation is the complete failure to achieve not even one conviction for the above crimes.

Are these crimes only investigated if it is the rich or connected that is the victims?

My brother inlaw , a Filipino , was murdered earlier this year , shot 4 times , and to my knowledge all the police

have actually done in any way is to attend the scene on the day , and impound my Yamaha that he was on when it happened,

Apart from that nudda . The Philippines must have one of the lowest conversion rates for solving homicides in the world.

dont feel so special its just everyone including the kidnappers know westerners could not afford any ramson and most live check to check so its a waste of time to kidnap them

• Like 2

The conviction rate is dismal, even when a rare arrest is made. The police here are pretty much a military force, and trained as such. The skills required to investigate, and in some cases infiltrate, crime, virtually do not exist. Then, the way witnesses are treated, and the endemic (and well earned) fear of the police, make it even tougher. Criminal investigation here ranks behind drill team and parade practice for priority in training and funding.

As for the Koreans and Chinese, the statistics are probably worse than reported. Only murders even get reported for the most part by them. The Chinnoy community has been here a long time, and they know the score. They pay ransoms, so they get kidnapped a lot more. Westerners tend to report kidnappings, so they get kidnaped less. But petty crime is not even dealt with, so tougher ones ??

I am a retired COP from California. I also taught at a POST academy in California some, and I teach some classes here. I teach part time to a number of private security companies that do primarily mall, and business security, including banks and transport. At the university here, I was a guest instructor, and rather irritated the powers to be when I suggested they need to teach basic investigation. They mostly do not. And at the IST ( in service training) level there is only a tinny bit in the PNP, I hear, but I never seen the training module for it.

The way the police are organized here, they are lucky if the investigator even speaks the local dialect.  

• Like 4

The conviction rate is dismal, even when a rare arrest is made. The police here are pretty much a military force, and trained as such. The skills required to investigate, and in some cases infiltrate, crime, virtually do not exist. Then, the way witnesses are treated, and the endemic (and well earned) fear of the police, make it even tougher. Criminal investigation here ranks behind drill team and parade practice for priority in training and funding.

As for the Koreans and Chinese, the statistics are probably worse than reported. Only murders even get reported for the most part by them. The Chinnoy community has been here a long time, and they know the score. They pay ransoms, so they get kidnapped a lot more. Westerners tend to report kidnappings, so they get kidnaped less. But petty crime is not even dealt with, so tougher ones ??

I am a retired COP from California. I also taught at a POST academy in California some, and I teach some classes here. I teach part time to a number of private security companies that do primarily mall, and business security, including banks and transport. At the university here, I was a guest instructor, and rather irritated the powers to be when I suggested they need to teach basic investigation. They mostly do not. And at the IST ( in service training) level there is only a tinny bit in the PNP, I hear, but I never seen the training module for it.

The way the police are organized here, they are lucky if the investigator even speaks the local dialect.  

But the Phils isn't under miltary control any more?  Didn't EDSA take care of that?   :sarcasm:

Keep in mind, that murder is often (statistically probable) a crime of passion. Professional criminals generally want a low profile, since the tallest nail tends to get hit first. So Barney Fife can solve a fair number of them. The husband in the bloody shirt with a machete in his hand, he killed her. So when they loose 70 or 80% in court? Wow, is all I can say. It is so easy for a Pinoy to get away with murder, that it is not unusual for Pinoy Police to take up murder on the side. And it really pays poorly! 

• Like 2

But the Phils isn't under miltary control any more?  Didn't EDSA take care of that?   :sarcasm:

Yes, sort of. But the training, and the structure is still very military. They are changing some, but it will take time. The PNP's drill teams can out march the LAPD, or SFPD anytime. Sharper uniforms too.

• Like 1

The US never had a national PD. In only the past century have they even allowed "Feds" much authority at all. Here they do, so the example that the PI needs to follow more might be Canada. They took a very military National PD and modernized it as the requirements changed. The RCMP still has some horses, but they also still get there man. Also, not like here, Canada seen fit to allow cities to have city PDs with considerable independence. I am not Canadian, and do not fully understand there structure, but it works pretty well. The issues of Toronto are a lot different than the Yukon, and they do it well. Despite a rather bizarre mayor (Ford).   

Edited by big RB

Crime volume up in first 5 months of 2014 – PNP

Understated the data may be, it still paints a scary picture: One is murdered every hour,         24   murders/day

a robbery is committed every 10 minutes,                                                                                  144  robberies/day

someone is raped every 72 minutes,                                                                                           20   rapes/day

a theft is happening every three and half minutes,” the senator said.                                         411 thefts/day

I am guessing robbery means armed as opposed to theft

http://www.manilatimes.net/crime-volume-up-in-first-5-months-of-2014-pnp/107301/

Edited by oztony
  • Like 2
I am guessing robbery means armed as opposed to tI
Edited by big RB

where are the numbers for westerners ?  Its hard to form an opinion with only half of the facts

I am still trying to catch up with Captain Nemo's taxi driver  :good:

• Like 3