Jellied eels, cockles and whelks

spritsail

It is usualy the case that the best tucker you can get here in the Philippines is also the cheapest. Fresh eels in local wet market were only 45 p a kilo, clams and whelks were only 60 p. I have never been able to find eels for sale in fish shops in england so to I jumped at the chance to buy 2 kgs eels and 2 kg mixed shellfish. 

My absolute favourite is jellied eels, a east london speciality and easily made at home.With shells, thoroughly washed and scrubbed boil in water with some chopped carrots, onion etc, When shells are cooked remove from liquid and put in the eels - chopped into 2 inch chunks. Allow to sit in the liquid for 20 minutes or so, then place on  heat , bring to boil, then simmer for 20 mins till eels are soft. Allow to cool, then remove from pan, and place in serving dish. Pour over the strained liquid  and refrigerate. Eels are gelalanious and a thick jelly will form. 

Serve chillled with calmansi or lemon slices with crusty bread, or rice. Better than jellied eels at southend. My chinese and japanese guests simply adore them. 

post-7590-0-50440000-1411758923_thumb.jpg

post-7590-0-75428100-1411759095_thumb.jpg

post-7590-0-24586400-1411759122_thumb.jpg

• Like 3