From my inbox, a little help

"Hello,

My name is Rose I have a fiance visa to sell if you know someone is interested to buy ..this is legit and guaranteed ...4 of them.  Please call me 0916265****. Or email me back. .thanks."

I debated whether this should go in the humor section, but then figured it should be classified as what it is, a scam.  Any thoughts as to how best to answer this?
  • Like 3

Play along. Offer to buy it and see where it goes. You may just catch yourself a scammer that came TO YOU for a change. :D

play along, save everything and turn over to the proper authorities. chances are nothing will happen but you will have wasted her time and be able to sleep well knowing you at least tried.

play along, save everything and turn over to the proper authorities. chances are nothing will happen but you will have wasted her time and be able to sleep well knowing you at least tried.

To be honest, I wouldn't even know who the "proper authorities" would be! Who would care?

JamesMusslewhite

To be honest, I wouldn't even know who the "proper authorities" would be! Who would care?

The US Embassy, as I am sure this would be good for a good laugh at least. They can at least perhaps give you a contact number to a agency that the collected documents can be handed over to.

• Like 2

Careful, it could be a set up to arrest expats for trying to buy illegal Visas, then  you are the one in trouble not them. (Trust no one)

• Like 4
contraman

Its of no use to me.

Imagine the hassle of 4 fiances :(

• Like 1

Tell them everything is recorded and your going to turn them in and then DONT LEAVE THE HOUSE

do not play along unless you have already contacted some sort of authority (immigration?) first.   if you get set up in a sting then "i was just playing along" would be a weak defense.

i would treat it as spam.  and ignore it.  do you really need this potential headache (not referring to the potential fiancee) ?

• Like 3

Some clarification, "Rose" does not mention a fiance visa to WHICH country, I assume, as did a few of you, it is for the USA. Also, anybody with ANY knowledge of US visas knows there is no way this is will work, as James pointed out, "good for a laugh". As for a "sting" operation, in order for that to transpire I would have to first send money (not very likely to happen).

Now for some funny, she was sharp enough to use a proxy to make her email untraceable through IP, but used the same email address that is attached to her Facebook profile.

;)

• Like 4
Foreststag

For me I would delete it from the site. We don't need this shite on the forum. Just my view !

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man

We don't need this shite on the forum. Just my view

"We"  an then 'My"  so is that the 'royal' we?

For my view I say thanks for the opening post and I would like to know the facebook profile it came from just to see if I have met the scammer.

• Like 2
contraman

"We"  an then 'My"  so is that the 'royal' we?

For my view I say thanks for the opening post and I would like to know the facebook profile it came from just to see if I have met the scammer.

Yes, We and My in the same sentence just dont mix :(

IMHO

I say it is good to put it up here,

Members here are all adults (or so I have been led to believe) and can make up their own minds about it.

• Like 1
mikewright

Thanks for posting, it's good to know what scams are floating around at any time.

Came across a new one recently, but haven't worked out how the scam actually works. A man in India contacted a Filipina on the internet, chatted to her and then said he wants to send her a significant amount of money. However, he said that because of the currency regulations in India it can't go through a Philippine bank, but would have to go through a foreign bank account. Filipina rang her friend here in Australia very excited, asking for friend's bank account details so that the money could be sent. It didn't click with either of them that this was a scam, and I think the friend in Australia would have provided her bank details if I hadn't pointed out that it was a scam.

What I don't know is even if she had provided her bank details, how could the scammer withdraw funds without her signature or PIN?

Edited by mikewright