Sign in to follow this  
RogerDat

Why all the big boats pier 1&2 area blowing horns?

RogerDat

greetings! Since 8am the big ships have been blowing their horns. only heard this when Sani Nino passed.

broden

can't be the start of the Christmas season. that was months ago

• Like 3

Tin

can't be the start of the Christmas season. that was months ago

Seaman brother said, it is part of the routine, to inform everyone the ship has arrive.

• Like 1

Majorsco

Seaman brother said, it is part of the routine, to inform everyone the ship has arrive.

All ships are required to blow their horns when they are about to depart a pier, as well as to blow the horn when a ship is about to arrive.  That's a normal situation.  I wonder if the OP was asking about that, or if there was something different, such as all the ships blowing the horns as a protest signal, or a commemoration signal, etc.

Majorsco

Since 8am the big ships have been blowing their horns. only heard this when Sani Nino passed.

Apparently it happened back in June as well for Independence day.  Of course, there are no such holidays today.

Coast Guard, ships blow horn for Independence day
June 12, 2014

Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) ships and other vessels in the country blew their horns on Thursday as the nation marked the 116th Independence Day.

At 8 a.m., PCG and commercial vessels were one in blowing their horns for three minutes while these were docked in various ports all over the country.

“All the vessels that were docked in the different piers nationwide were commanded to dress up, meaning they have to raise their flags and pennants,” PCG spokesperson Commander Armand Balilo said.

“This is to show the participation of the maritime community to the celebration of Independence Day,” he added.

Balilo said the blowing of horns took place after the simultaneous raising of the Philippine flags.

http://devsite.mb.com.ph/coast-guard-ships-blow-horn-for-independence-day/

RogerDat

Greetings! Yes, all blowing at same time, like back during the festival, first time in ten years I haver heard it like that during non festival. Wondered if a ship line owner or captain had died.

hyaku

Pity they don't blow them at sea more often. It might avoid collisions. The certainly can't see each other visually or on radar.

• Like 1

shadow

Pity they don't blow them at sea more often. It might avoid collisions. The certainly can't see each other visually or on radar.

You would still have to get them to remove their headphones.

• Like 2

BOHOLTOR

greetings! Since 8am the big ships have been blowing their horns. only heard this when Sani Nino passed.

International warning signals :

1 short blast   -  I am turning to starboard ( right turn )

2 short blast   -  I am turning to port  ( left turn )

3 short blast   -  I am going astern  ( my engine is reversing )

5 or more short blasts  -  What is your intensions ?  (  To other vessels  )

and many more......seldom used

Signals are international, but.... we are in the ph ......

Its more fun in the ........?

RogerDat

Greetings! Well two things big happened here 21st. A founder of Carmalits Monistary was burred, and it was the anaversery of declaring Martial Law, like I saw, all tied up at the pier seamed to blow continiously untill the tanks were empty, no sequence. Our house on Mactan faces pier 1&2, so it is very loud at times, but never like this.