How many of you have gone native language-wise?

I have never seen a mixed couple in which both would be speaking a Filipino language to each other. At home or while shopping etc.

As in ever in 23 years. You can always here them talk in English and they both prefer it that way. It is also expected by the society. 

When I am in a relationship I almost always speak Tagalog. With most of my Filipino friends I always speak Tagalog, too. 

Am I the only one? It sure seems so.

I saw a real interesting German guy on  TV  running a business here for YEARs and he was fluent Visayan with his wife.   Made me feel ashamed of limited usage. 

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I saw a real interesting German guy on  TV  running a business here for YEARs and he was fluent Visayan with his wife.   Made me feel ashamed of limited usage. 

I think as we all get older, IT gets limited usage... :db:

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I have never seen a mixed couple in which both would be speaking a Filipino language to each other. At home or while shopping etc.

You must have never encountered my wife and I then... 

David Spicer

When I first moved here, over 7 years ago, I was determined that I was going to learn Cebuano. After a couple of weeks of everyone wanting to practice their English, I gave up.

I keep trying. I have the Pimsler Tagalog tapes... i can never seem to remember them even after the 100'th time... 

Sigh, old cat's and new tricks or something like that...

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I call foods by it's native names.

Does that count?

Edited by Salty Dog

I was behind a couple in a line at the supermarket .. they were speaking Norwegian ! I commented to the filipino wife about her ability, and she said her husbands english is terrible, she cant understand him, so she learnt to speak his language ..pretty good i thought .

Also, I do know a guy who speaks pretty good Bisayan, so what does he do ? Gets a girlfriend who only speaks Tagalog ! ( and english of course )

she is learning bisaya though, cos they live here

• Like 1

I keep trying. I have the Pimsler Tagalog tapes... i can never seem to remember them even after the 100'th time... 

Sigh, old cat's and new tricks or something like that...

Did the same with Pimsleur Japanese - listened a hundred times and managed the very basics only.

• Like 1
rainymike

Hmmm ... since English is an official language, I imagine myself as having gone native.

I was at a store the other day. The sales girl walked up to me and asked me if I needed help. Told her "Sorry, I only speak English. Anyway, no thanks I'm just looking (at the ipads)."

She quickly ran to the other salesgirls and remarked, "I thought I was talking to pesos, but he is dollars." In most cases, that's all the language I've needed. 

SomeRandomGuy

I was doing really well for a long time, but lost interest.

Gem speaks the languages here that i don't and i got sick of being told my bisaya was to slang

Bah Humbug

I have known only one guy who went completely native and even spoke English with an accent. He went awol from Vietnam and lived as a farmer in Samar.

Edited by bmoore