The Crap She Doesn't Know

I had a Filipina girlfriend.

Poorly educated by VERY bright and "street smart".

Like many (I suspect), given the chnace they are willing to learn, but the education system doesnt give them the best opportunity to do so.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4thDan

• Tin

• I <3 Cebu

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay you guys.  Enough complaining and generalizing of Filipinas.  I am Filipina and I am by no means dumb!  I was educated in the Philippines.  I am very good in geography, politics, English! I know

I hope you really don't believe that.   It's like here in Cambodia. Khmer English teachers should not be teaching English, because the vast majority of them do not speak English. The reason Filipin

My, my...don't we have a lot of generalizations here today? There is no rule that Filipinas are all this way or that way. Most are not stupid, but there are those who are....just as there are stupid K

Posted Images

So my relatively new filipina wife is currently 28,  went to Angelicum College on a scholarship and spent about 8 years teaching math in a private high school..  By most accounts reasonably intelligent and inquisitive.

Imagine my surprise when we were watching 'Close Encounters" and Dreyfuss enters the spacecraft at the end of the movie... my wife turns to me with wide eyes asking..  "is this based on a true story?"..

Also,  when I asked her to find the Philippines on a globe she has no clue which part to even begin looking.

I suck at math...  but occassionally i have to take some critical thinking evaluations when looking for new jobs or contracts.   usually they involve an understanding of basic algebre..  i always pass those tests..   but my wife who teaches algebra and calcus cannot pass those same test.

Just wondering if some of you have been shocked at what your filipina women dont know also.

Surprised at what my wife doesn't know but amazed at the amount she does know.

• Like 1

For those members here who hail from countries where English is not your first language, I'm sure you will know how smart they are and how fast they learn other languages. Filipinos, by nature, learn other languages very, very quickly. 

• Like 2
Filipinos, by nature, learn other languages very, very quickly.

I think that's because they learn at an early age.  It's generally accepted that children can learn new languages much easier than adults.

Theres one example where the Philippine educational system is superior to the US system :D

Edited by Ronin
mikewright

Surprised at what my wife doesn't know but amazed at the amount she does know.

What completely astounds me is the amount of family history my wife knows, the relationships through the generations. Can't believe how often she will meet someone in Australia, they get to talking, and find out they have some obscure relative in common.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

My wife is smarter than me,

Why doesn't that surprise us…

• Like 2

What completely astounds me is the amount of family history my wife knows, the relationships through the generations. Can't believe how often she will meet someone in Australia, they get to talking, and find out they have some obscure relative in common.

In the country of over 100,000,000 people, about 75% of them are direct relatives. :D

I think that's because they learn at an early age.  It's generally accepted that children can learn new languages much easier than adults.

Theres one example where the Philippine educational system is superior to the US system :D

This is way past the educational system. I meant after they meet their future spouses and end up living with them, and / or moving to their countries. Filipinos pick up languages fast. I used to know a gal who lived with a Japanese guy for about five years. Although she could not read or write Japanese, she was fluent in the language. 

In the country of over 100,000,000 people, about 75% of them are direct relatives.

Are you saying that this is the Kentucky or Georgia of the Pacific?  LOL

• Like 3
angbumabasa

For those members here who hail from countries where English is not your first language, I'm sure you will know how smart they are and how fast they learn other languages. Filipinos, by nature, learn other languages very, very quickly. 

My wife became extremely proficient in English with her 15+- years in the States. But since our return I see her English slipping. What the hell, so is mine since the only real conversations I have besides with her are with the dogs. I must admit that now I can bark and howl better than I ever could. 

• Like 6
cebubird

My wife became extremely proficient in English with her 15+- years in the States. But since our return I see her English slipping. What the hell, so is mine since the only real conversations I have besides with her are with the dogs. I must admit that now I can bark and howl better than I ever could. 

LOL-Thought I was only one who suffered from that. My wife was only in US for a year, and now we have been here 4 years, so I see same thing. And yep our 2 dogs only 'speak' english so I talk with them a lot.

So my relatively new filipina wife is currently 28,  went to Angelicum College on a scholarship and spent about 8 years teaching math in a private high school..  By most accounts reasonably intelligent and inquisitive.

Imagine my surprise when we were watching 'Close Encounters" and Dreyfuss enters the spacecraft at the end of the movie... my wife turns to me with wide eyes asking..  "is this based on a true story?"..

Also,  when I asked her to find the Philippines on a globe she has no clue which part to even begin looking.

I suck at math...  but occassionally i have to take some critical thinking evaluations when looking for new jobs or contracts.   usually they involve an understanding of basic algebre..  i always pass those tests..   but my wife who teaches algebra and calcus cannot pass those same test.

Just wondering if some of you have been shocked at what your filipina women dont know also.

Every Filipina varies. Maybe I should take that test to see. eheheheh

Edited by Headshot
Deleted duplicate quote
  • Like 1

What I have seen is that language is actually a bit of an issue. None of my children nor wife can speak Filipino fluently. Actually, they frequently fail exams in Filipino and have a struggle with homework assignments and even the ever-present role playing activities. This is at a private school where there is less emphasis on use of Filipino in the classroom.

As well, a short drive from here the dialect is primarily waray, and once again, it is hard for anyone in the family to travel there as they end up having to use English which is not good either. They use Tagalog before waray.

In the public school where my sister in law teaches, they use English language text books, but try to translate the meaning to visayan which none of them can do very well.

I agree that they learn languages well. When they are taught well or used frequently.

My immediate family all speak English very well and are always the go to student to do any English language projects or MC anything.

The real weakness in the entire process is the teachers who are not held accountable to teach to a standard. If the students do poorly, one response is to fiddle with the grading system so students pass. The other is to blame the families for not trying hard enough. Not sure I figured that one out.

• Like 1

I'm getting a lot of this from my wife now that she's almost starting college.  I've known for years that her HS education was lacking (kaayo) so I didn't really see the point but I figured I'd give her a shot.  She chose HRM which I didn't think would cause too many problems.  Then she gets her schedule and the first class is Algebra.  Really?  If it were a real Algebra class she'd have no problem but it seems she ran into a bunch of girls that will be her classmates and none of them can add either so I figure thte class must be on the level of students who have no math skills or something.  Then she's telling me about all these extracarricular activities and I tell her she doesn't have to bother with all that but she says she can get extra credit for them.  She can actually improve her grades doing stuff that has nothing to do with her classes. (Intramural sports, dancing, beauty pagents....) And then she says it's ok that she doesn't do them as it won't hurt her grades.  Maybe but if everyone else does them and gets extra points, her grades essentially go down.

Sorry for this but I will be blunt and frank. I am a college student myself, I get back studying just last sem to continue my unfinisih business with school and I honestly think they are wasting my time at some point,I am sitting listening to things I already know or I could easily read on my books or internet  and  I could be somewhere working to get paid. In most college, like where I am enrolled now, the important students who mostly have higher thinking than the others where isolated and were screened, mostly they would qualify to be a teacher and those who did not pass will chose either to take IT,HRM, or any BSBA course. So I once asked my teacher if there is really a difference on how the students react or participates or do well in class, from the EDUCATION Department againsts all the other departments, and they would always say that those other Departments like BSBA and IT are hard to teach and usually are more into putting make up or talking than actually learning.

• Like 1

My wife is smarter than me, has a degree in medical technology, yet until she went to Europe would have had a hard time finding Venice, Italy on a map. Nothing to do with intelligence, just seems that world geography is not a priority in some schools in the Philippines.

We've sponsored a few nephews and nieces over the years to study in Australia. It's indicative of the different study regimes that a person who has completed a nursing degree in the Philippines might still have to study another two years in Australia to be registered as nurse here. A common comment from the students was that it was harder studying in the Philippines, more hours, more exams, and a lot more learnt by rote. Just looking at one of the student's Transcript of Record, subjects included "Man in Search of God", "Man the Christian Believer", "Sining ng pakikipagtalastasan", "The Christian in Worship", "Philippines Government & New Constitution", "Rizal Course", "Literature in the Philippines", "The Christian Witness in the World", "Early & Modern Philippine History", etc. And that's a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree through a Cebu university.

It was a completely different experience for them in Australia, having to research topics and then come to their own conclusions. But they all seemed to handle the studies well, with no major problems adapting to the different teaching methods.

And as for asking whether "Close Encounters" was based on a true story, there are still a lot of educated folk that believe a space ship crashed at Roswell New Mexico in 1947, and that the documentaries on the incident are based on a true story.  As for the existence of zombies, a walk around the Mango Square area around 2am could dispel any doubts :)

In my college now, I hate the fact that we get too much exams and talking and talking, thinsg I have learned since I was elementary. I just want to yell, what the hell is wrong with you people, give me something I do not know yet, I think if I do not read books or buy my own books at Nat'l Bookstore, I wont learn something new. Like they keep talkign about, cell, cell membrane, plastids, GOD DAMN IT, it is for elementary.

• Like 5

LOL-Thought I was only one who suffered from that. My wife was only in US for a year, and now we have been here 4 years, so I see same thing. And yep our 2 dogs only 'speak' english so I talk with them a lot.

I hope that both of you have female dogs or if not...that you aren't taking up all your dog's habits...LOL...and yes you know what I'm talking about...."they do because they can"

• Like 1