The Crap She Doesn't Know

And one other thing to keep in mind, or at least in my opinion that's so...is that those of us who had the opportunity to get our education in a higher developed country and then come here and judge things here by our standards (as we learned them "back home) are doing an injustice to our host country.  Yes there are terrible lapses in the educational system, but then there are big holes in the system in Chicago, New York, San Fransico, etc., as well.  I traveled quite a bit in the US during my time there and found that different parts of the US had "higher" or "lower" levels of educational "products" (people) wherever I went.  To a "yankee" the people of the deep south seemed to be a bit behind the times, so to speak.  So, while a very valid argument for vast improvements to the overall educational system here can be made for sure, it is perhaps unfair of us to put our standards on them.  The "native" intelligence here is much better than in the US.  If there was a world calamity, I would bet that more people here would be able to survive on their own, than in the US.  Just MHO

• Like 2
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4thDan

• Tin

• I <3 Cebu

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay you guys.  Enough complaining and generalizing of Filipinas.  I am Filipina and I am by no means dumb!  I was educated in the Philippines.  I am very good in geography, politics, English! I know

I hope you really don't believe that.   It's like here in Cambodia. Khmer English teachers should not be teaching English, because the vast majority of them do not speak English. The reason Filipin

My, my...don't we have a lot of generalizations here today? There is no rule that Filipinas are all this way or that way. Most are not stupid, but there are those who are....just as there are stupid K

Posted Images

Headshot

My, my...don't we have a lot of generalizations here today? There is no rule that Filipinas are all this way or that way. Most are not stupid, but there are those who are....just as there are stupid Kanos, Brits, Aussies or what-have-you. However, their education is probably quite different than yours. Their education prepares them for what they will most likely encounter in their lives.

When I was in the fourth grade, we had to memorize the names and capitols of every country in the world...and write them down on a map. In the Philippines, they do a similar exercise, but it is only for countries in Asia (which they do in second year high school I believe). I guess everything beyond that is "where dragons live" or "Amerika" or something along those lines.

Most Filipinas have no concept of the world as it is because they were never taught about it. I asked my wife why that is, and she said because most Filipinos will never travel anyway, so they don't need to know what is out there. That kind of sums up the educational philosophy here...if most won't use it, then there is no need to teach it.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 6

But it does seem philippines ignorance trumps most other countries. 

Not even close. Real winners might include Afghanistan, Central African Republic, Sudan, etc. The Philippines is actually in the top 10% of best educated third world countries. The majority of people can at least speak two languages and a couple of dialects  to some extent.  Most Americans can only speak one and some are even proud of that fact.  How many of those being critical are speaking to their wives or gf's in their native language rather than making them do the heavy work.  

The truth is that majority of humanity is not that bright.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

If the BS gets any deeper in this topic, I'm going to need a snorkel.

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 2
USMC-Retired

Education comes second to putting food on the table. Also dance, fiesta and performances related to anything catholic.

Edited by USMC-Retired
SomeRandomGuy

And being at home in time to watch Showtime. I swear if u want to watch your SO's brains leak out of her or his ears watch it with them.

For a three hour show 2 hrs of it is the same thing over and over every friggin day

Bah Humbug

And being at home in time to watch Showtime. I swear if u want to watch your SO's brains leak out of her or his ears watch it with them.

For a three hour show 2 hrs of it is the same thing over and over every friggin day

Bah Humbug

Yeah most immature show ever, that silly giggle every 2 mins makes me want to put the bins out

Foreststag

I'm sure it starts in school. I liked a local elementary school on my facebook. The school advertised an

open evening on facebook with glaring spelling mistakes. I duly pointed this out to them, thinking that it

did not look good to prospective pupils parents. They wrote back blaming the computer keyboard, problem

was there were spelling mistakes in the reply. Again I pointed this out and received the curt equivalent

of feck off . To top it all the supermarket where we shop was asking for shoppers to donate any small

change in support of the same school. My reply to their request was the curt equivalent of feck off, they did not want my support when I offered it.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

You can tell a lot about a country by its daytime television. 

In America the commercials shown during daytime television are very revealing. Every commercial is for injury lawyers, bankruptcy, disability lawyers or medical malpractice lawsuits. 

• Like 2
throttleplate

i have a friend whom has a neighbor boy whom stops in to joke around and ask for small jobs,the boy is 13 and has hair down to his waist so i ask him why dont you cut your hair and i will give you a hundred php for each inch cut off,boy says he cant cut his hair because he will get a fever if he does.

• Like 1
mikewright

My wife is smarter than me, has a degree in medical technology, yet until she went to Europe would have had a hard time finding Venice, Italy on a map. Nothing to do with intelligence, just seems that world geography is not a priority in some schools in the Philippines.

We've sponsored a few nephews and nieces over the years to study in Australia. It's indicative of the different study regimes that a person who has completed a nursing degree in the Philippines might still have to study another two years in Australia to be registered as nurse here. A common comment from the students was that it was harder studying in the Philippines, more hours, more exams, and a lot more learnt by rote. Just looking at one of the student's Transcript of Record, subjects included "Man in Search of God", "Man the Christian Believer", "Sining ng pakikipagtalastasan", "The Christian in Worship", "Philippines Government & New Constitution", "Rizal Course", "Literature in the Philippines", "The Christian Witness in the World", "Early & Modern Philippine History", etc. And that's a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree through a Cebu university.

It was a completely different experience for them in Australia, having to research topics and then come to their own conclusions. But they all seemed to handle the studies well, with no major problems adapting to the different teaching methods.

And as for asking whether "Close Encounters" was based on a true story, there are still a lot of educated folk that believe a space ship crashed at Roswell New Mexico in 1947, and that the documentaries on the incident are based on a true story.  As for the existence of zombies, a walk around the Mango Square area around 2am could dispel any doubts :)

Edited by mikewright
  • Like 2
SomeRandomGuy

I know. I pointed at the bolo at the door and told her" what you think that is for"

Yes i am evil.

Bah Humbug

• Like 1

They are not " universal". The US is notorious for geographical ignorance to the point that we are a butt of many jokes by other 1st worlders.

Americans are legendary for the "where the f____ is that?" questions. The Japanese, the Russians, the Germans and most Arab countries study and know geography well. The same goes for most Euros. 

Because the Philippine educational system was based on the American one, it inherited the Americans' dislike and neglect for geography.

I hope you really don't believe that. :rolleyes:

It's like here in Cambodia. Khmer English teachers should not be teaching English, because the vast majority of them do not speak English. The reason Filipinos believe what they do, is because it has been passed down from generation to generation. This certainly applies to the school system as much as it does general knowledge learned in their culture. 

They are very smart & fast learners. Just uneducated

Absolutely. There is a huge difference between ignorant and stupid. They are merely ignorant because they have not been given the same chances at education, world travel, etc., that many / most of us have. 

• Like 6

Something that just came to mind. When Vivian and I were last together, I taught her compass headings, for navigation. She learned, quite quickly, N, S, E, and W headings. She actually began using them when I would query her.