The Crap She Doesn't Know

quit_yume

So my relatively new filipina wife is currently 28,  went to Angelicum College on a scholarship and spent about 8 years teaching math in a private high school..  By most accounts reasonably intelligent and inquisitive.

Imagine my surprise when we were watching 'Close Encounters" and Dreyfuss enters the spacecraft at the end of the movie... my wife turns to me with wide eyes asking..  "is this based on a true story?"..

Also,  when I asked her to find the Philippines on a globe she has no clue which part to even begin looking.

I suck at math...  but occassionally i have to take some critical thinking evaluations when looking for new jobs or contracts.   usually they involve an understanding of basic algebre..  i always pass those tests..   but my wife who teaches algebra and calcus cannot pass those same test.

Just wondering if some of you have been shocked at what your filipina women dont know also.

• Like 3
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4thDan

• Tin

• tambok

• broden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay you guys.  Enough complaining and generalizing of Filipinas.  I am Filipina and I am by no means dumb!  I was educated in the Philippines.  I am very good in geography, politics, English! I know

I hope you really don't believe that.   It's like here in Cambodia. Khmer English teachers should not be teaching English, because the vast majority of them do not speak English. The reason Filipin

My, my...don't we have a lot of generalizations here today? There is no rule that Filipinas are all this way or that way. Most are not stupid, but there are those who are....just as there are stupid K

Posted Images

I am on my 2nd Philippine wife. So know surprise on this subject with me.

My first wife sister inlaw wanted to return to lola's house before the sun went down. Yep, you got it. before the vampires came out.

this wife just went to high school. Now she is getting a US education. In what? do not know, To do what? do not know. Likes being a house wife and sending Ma money. does not like shopping. Thank God for the little things.

Oh, but both are always hungry, And can not do anything until feed.

• Like 3
SomeRandomGuy

Im not married but engaged but, the other day gem asked me if zombies were real.

This sort of question has bothered me as I actually thought up until now she was quiet intelligent.

I also asked her what something on my back was last night, she replied to the spot i was pointing it was.....wait for it.... A red.

Not knowing what a red was i went to the mirror and it was a pimple.

I think the last one was just she forgot how to translate it, feck I'm hoping that is what it was.

Bah Humbug

David Spicer

Here's a good one: ask your significant other how many centavos are in a peso. Most will answer 4, and I was surprised my wife got it right.

I have a daughter in 1st Grade and this is one of the main reasons that we'll be moving to the USA once she finishes elementary school.

• Like 2

I know what a red is. Glad for you it wasn't a green.

Not sure how someone growing up in an archipelago can be faulted for not knowing where it is on a globe of the earth. It might be fun to go to a street corner in any western city and ask people to point to where the sun rises. Then, follow that up with a query about how long it takes the moon to rotate around the sun.....every 28 days or once a year?

Might be too late if you move to the USA after elementary school. By the time a child enters high school, the learning by rote process is pretty well ingrained. Good luck with that.

I know for a fact that vampires make trouble here. That is why roosters crow during the night when they see one. Kinda like vampire alarms. My own sister in law was even impregnated by a ghost. For real. She got pregnant and it was a ghost who did it. Luckily the baby seems to be normal, no ghostly looks.

So, is "Close Encounters" based on a real story? I thought it was.

• Like 2

geography problems are universal....in the last few years there have been numerous cases where the "average" person on the streets in the US had no idea where things in the world were.  So it isn't surprising that the "average" person here who seldom if ever gets more than 40 KM from home has no idea of where they are in the world.  In regard to other aspects of education here, I have waxed on repeatedly on that subject.  But one thing I am finding, which first lead me to think that "they" just don't know, i that sometimes it is difficult for what they know to be translated into a form of english which we can understand.  

Having said that, LOL, there are some GLARING deficiencies in what I call "basic" knowledge.  Fractions seem to throw my wife and others, for a loop.  Went to a lumber yard yesterday to get some strips of 3/4 x 1".  I had to actually draw what I wanted before the "manager" could figure it out.  But, he could figure out the price in his head.  He could not grasp 3/4" inch.  

Another thing that I just to get upset with my wife about...an English teacher,  then understood that it is a national problem is the use of "on" and "in"...and the mixing of genders in prepositions.  Her, she, him, his, he are all interchangeable.  The concept of "him and his and he" being masculine and "she", "her" being feminine was known, but didn't make any difference when speaking.  I think maybe that there are so many he/shes that might confuse the issue. LOL

I'm getting a lot of this from my wife now that she's almost starting college.  I've known for years that her HS education was lacking (kaayo) so I didn't really see the point but I figured I'd give her a shot.  She chose HRM which I didn't think would cause too many problems.  Then she gets her schedule and the first class is Algebra.  Really?  If it were a real Algebra class she'd have no problem but it seems she ran into a bunch of girls that will be her classmates and none of them can add either so I figure thte class must be on the level of students who have no math skills or something.  Then she's telling me about all these extracarricular activities and I tell her she doesn't have to bother with all that but she says she can get extra credit for them.  She can actually improve her grades doing stuff that has nothing to do with her classes. (Intramural sports, dancing, beauty pagents....) And then she says it's ok that she doesn't do them as it won't hurt her grades.  Maybe but if everyone else does them and gets extra points, her grades essentially go down.

My wife's English is good but she still mixes he/she up.

That's because Tagalog/Visayan does not have an equivalent to he/she or him/her.

Btw, I had to have my wife spell equivalent for me.

I think it kinda arrogant to post about what they don't know. I'm sure they could post some things about what we don't know. Just because they don't have an emphasis on geography doesn't make them inferior.

Matter of fact, the more time I spend here the more I think they have a lot of things figured out much more than the west. Mostly community, family and general happiness issues.

• Like 5

Every country has their proportion of dummies.  Keep in mind that when asked, around 20% of americans were unable to name the exact date of the 9/11 attacks e.g.

But it does seem philippines ignorance trumps most other countries.  Possibly due to the school syllabus being little more than a child minding system rather than education about facts and figures (and how to analyse them).

Edited by poby
  • Like 1
For Real

If you want an educated critical thinking and worldly wife then why don't you just marry a man from Boston? Pinas didn't focus in the schooling they have done because the are only interested in love and service to their special man.

Sent from my detachable penis in my happy shorts

• Like 3

Every country has their proportion of dummies.  Keep in mind that when asked, around 20% of americans were unable to name the exact date of the 9/11 attacks e.g.

But it does seem philippines ignorance trumps most other countries.  Possibly due to the school syllabus being little more than a child minding system rather than education about facts and figures (and how to analyse them).

You haven't talked to Thais in Thai. Man, they make Filipinos quite well rounded.

geography problems are universal....in the last few years there have been numerous cases where the "average" person on the streets in the US 

They are not " universal". The US is notorious for geographical ignorance to the point that we are a butt of many jokes by other 1st worlders.

Americans are legendary for the "where the f____ is that?" questions. The Japanese, the Russians, the Germans and most Arab countries study and know geography well. The same goes for most Euros. 

Because the Philippine educational system was based on the American one, it inherited the Americans' dislike and neglect for geography.

• Like 3
  • Admin (Retired)

If you want an educated critical thinking and worldly wife then why don't you just marry a man from Boston?

never been to boston huh

• Like 3

They are not " universal". The US is notorious for geographical ignorance to the point that we are a butt of many jokes by other 1st worlders.

Americans are legendary for the "where the f____ is that?" questions. The Japanese, the Russians, the Germans and most Arab countries study and know geography well. The same goes for most Euros. 

Because the Philippine educational system was based on the American one, it inherited the Americans' dislike and neglect for geography.

You're probably very right.  maybe it's due to the isolationist-egotism of the american educational system?  But they are finding out, that the US is NOT the center of the world as students are lead to believe.

What some people on this post are missing is that, They are forgetting that the Philippines is a 3rd world country with all the traits that it entails.No matter what the general populous may claim.

I have lived in a fair few of these places over the years { Contracting Etc. } & they all have the same mind set,  there is nothing wrong , we are great etc. Just some times you have to scratch a little deeper ! ...

• Like 1