Sign in to follow this  
Ozepete

Welcome to Cebu, now what can we steal?

goldote

Forex shopping warns that US customs and Homeland are confiscating watches

and memory laden electrics that leave the country.  No reason given for the theft. 

RP customs assume we know that all public employees are thieves etc. 

I respect, expect and receive much more honesty from RP customs. 

I have noticed the Manila customs folks like the push the buttons of certain travelers.

They seem to enjoy watching the richest and most arrogant ones go off.

They're also ewarded for scrutinizing their load.    

I prefer the RP overt version.  Many prefer the US covert version. 

• Like 2

Scruffydog

I flew into T3 last Saturday AM and was casually asked what I had in my bags. I told them the small bag is clothing and the larger hard side bag was full of chocolates. They waved me past. Lucky I'm a foreigner!

I've also noticed that flight attendants, hotel staff, gf and others are much happier receiving American chocolates than any other. I used to stupidly buy some exotic great tasting (and looking) chocolates to distribute. Now I just bring crappy American chocolates (Hersheys, etc.).

We flew into Mactan this week. 2 suitcases loaded with Pasalabong (sp?) . There was a long line at customs. The officer saw Me and my Pinay wife. My wife made eye contact, and he waved us over. Told us no problem welcome and sent us around the line no check.

Also the immigration officer asked how long are you here. We said one month. He said " I give you one year stamp, have nice day". Not one penny

Not all Pinoy are out to screw foreigners.

• Like 8

Scruffydog

and I would add. My in laws built me a bedroom, furnished it and installed AC. They have already chauffeured me all over Cebu, picked me up at the Airport and taken us out to eat twice.

They will not accept one Penny.

• Like 3

mrsdonnelly

Welcome to 'It's more fun getting ripped off in the Philippines' What a fecking joke! It's grubs like this that spoil all the good work done by the majority.

haha!  That's a classic statement Ozepete.  I can relate..

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz

Also the immigration officer asked how long are you here. We said one month. He said " I give you one year stamp, have nice day". Not one penny Not all Pinoy are out to screw foreigners.

i have also never had any problems with customs or immigration. once thru the immigration line at mactan airport i simply go to the "nothing to declare" lane of customs and they wave me thru. of course it helps that i actually don't have anything to declare and am merely toting a small carry-on bag.  

• Like 1

Monsoon

We flew into Mactan this week. 2 suitcases loaded with Pasalabong (sp?) . There was a long line at customs. The officer saw Me and my Pinay wife. My wife made eye contact, and he waved us over. Told us no problem welcome and sent us around the line no check.

That is the standard procedure now. You just proceed through like a green channel works in many countries. Unless you have something to declare. You dont even fill out the form anymore unless declaring.

The people queuing up either dont know what to do or have something to declare.

Also the immigration officer asked how long are you here. We said one month. He said " I give you one year stamp, have nice day". Not one penny

Not all Pinoy are out to screw foreigners.

Well of course. Why wouldn't he give you a one year BB? I've never been denied one. Although I always act surprised and grateful when they explain to me they are giving me one year. Its funny most immigration officers at the airport refer to it as a 'balikbayan visa" even though it is not a visa.

Trying to pay for something under the table at the immigration checkpoint is likely to get you arrested these days. The corruption has moved up a couple levels and costs more now.

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1

cebubird

and I would add. My in laws built me a bedroom, furnished it and installed AC. They have already chauffeured me all over Cebu, picked me up at the Airport and taken us out to eat twice.

They will not accept one Penny.

Well, I guess mostof us haven't married into wealth 'Dawg'. My in-laws won't accept "one" penny either, it's always more MORE MORE. And 'more' is never enough.

• Like 2

Scruffydog

That is the standard procedure now. You just proceed through like a green channel works in many countries. Unless you have something to declare. You dont even fill out the form anymore unless declaring.

The people queuing up either dont know what to do or have something to declare.

Well of course. Why wouldn't he give you a one year BB? I've never been denied one. Although I always act surprised and grateful when they explain to me they are giving me one year. Its funny most immigration officers at the airport refer to it as a 'balikbayan visa" even though it is not a visa.

Trying to pay for something under the table at the immigration checkpoint is likely to get you arrested these days. The corruption has moved up a couple levels and costs more now.

There I was thinking I was special.  I thought you had to get your Visa renewed every so many days or something and pay. Maybe that is if you are not married to a Pinay?

ellenbrook2001

Our son and his Filipina fiance have just returned from a few weeks in Cebu catching up with her family before their wedding here in Oz in November. They flew into Cebu via Singapore with the usual load of chocolates for their relatives. The customs guys (two of them) open their cases and ask our son if he is Pinoy. When he says he is Australian but his fiance is Filipina, they close his case (also with chocolates) then a senior guy steps in and inspects the chocolate bars in the fiances case. The senior guy grabs three of the largest and best quality bars and says (translated:)  'We will have these.  Next time I won't bother you'!

They saw him gave his co workers a bar each. The thieving bastard! 

Welcome to 'It's more fun getting ripped off in the Philippines'  What a fecking joke! It's grubs like this that spoil all the good work done by the majority.

normally i say will never post anymore cause been abused but that what i do when i arrived at the custom luggage i always buy i cheap chocolate then give to them so no problems easy?

ttmctoad

When I was stationed at Cubi Point (Subic Bay), we used to say that everything on the base had been stolen, but they just hadn't figured out how to get everything out the gate.

• Like 3

broden

i've always brought in tons of hershey miniatures ... they are perfect.. especially for the kids they dole them out and separate all the flavors ... everyone gets some different ones 

a few times i've had the ol' luggage check and someone there commenting on all the chocolates hinting around.. i just always go along and never make the offer say yeah i got a lot for all the kids things like that 

never had anyone just outright ask for any or take any though

tokyoman

I do believe they pck on the returning OFW's because they likely won't raise a stink. A foreigner on the other hand can be trouble especially if they've been around.

Put some of your dirty underwear and smelly socks on top of your stuff in the bag

Watching the officer suddenly lose interest and send you on your way is priceless

• Like 1